Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent

User Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pay, excellent environment, tons of perks, opportunity to work with several teams, beautiful office, Opportunities for mobility within the company, everyone feels like they're on the same team

Consrepetetive work, cult-ish, but only if you feel that way,

Amazing company and awesome culture. It's a joy to go to work.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking alongside the brightest, talented, and nicest group of people in the world is a perk of itself. Huge emphasis on culture which makes the workplace more open and flat vs. hierarchical and political.

ConsPay not as competitive but other perks make up for a lot of this. Workload could be a bit overwhelming but most are self directed vs. people telling you what you need to do.

Pretty good place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe campus is insane, great place to be, delicious food, positive environment overall. Young team overall, great benefits.

ConsThe company has grown a lot and with that came politics and an unusual (at least for me) level of competitiveness amongst colleagues. Constant re-orgs make it a little difficult to grow, as you end up changing managers all the time and you role changes as well. The advertising product is far from stable and they keep changing everything all the time, which confuses the team and the marketplace (and makes the sales process more challenging).

Extremely open and fast moving company.

Software Engineer IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsYou ship code within your first two weeks. Hundreds of millions of people around the world care about what you do. Pay and benefits are great, particularly RSU offerings. You're expected to move up (and get raises, bonuses, more RSUs) quickly. You can do pretty much whatever you want and work on whatever you want. There aren't a lot of rules, other than security/privacy practices. Even on mobile apps, your code ships fast.

Facebook's onboarding process is the best I've ever seen, and I've worked at a lot of other major companies. You're hired as an engineer, not as someone to fill a specific job. Then you spend your first six weeks getting to know how all of the company works, filling in small holes on code bases that you aren't familiar with (web, Android, iOS, data analysis stuff), and learning what problems in the company you most want to work on, before you pick your team. Every large software company should be doing this.

ConsThey do claim ownership of code you write outside of work, unless you run it by legal first.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ever get rid of Boot Camp. Adding on iOS and Android camp afterwards is a great idea; I wish it had been there when I started.

Please change the "we own all you do, even outside of work, unless you clear it first" policy. It might turn Silicon Valley die-hards off, particularly the startup dreamers who want to get their feet wet first at a company known for moving fast. I think we'd want to snag those people and convince them to pursue their ideas with us, rather than frighten them away with the thought that they might legally give away their big idea when they come to it. Even if we lose a few, or most, I'd rather have them with us for a while.

Excellent culture

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

ProsI had the privilege of working at this company as an intern a few times. Of all the internships I've had, this company's culture best aligns with my own. The teams tend to be small, the work environment really feels like home. The food is ok, but I mainly ate at the salad bar. I love that as an engineer, I'm not restricted in the type of equipment I get, and that I can get whatever I need to improve myself.

ConsThis isn't the best place, if you want to have an excellent work life balance, since it's really easy to just stay at work all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever lose that sense of small company feel just to have more control or order.

Facebook - MPK is a great place to work

Platform Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Prosthe food is incredible, the people are bright and fun, there's opportunity to effect millions of people with what you create

Consmove fast break things may mean that the project you're working on will not work out. so while they execute things quickly they also kill things off quickly. also that commute is rough if you live in the city.

Advice to Senior Managementspend more time with your employees

Awesome place to work that has huge impact, lots of fun, and a ton to learn

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsHuge impact on billions of people while working with awesome, insanely intelligent coworkers at a pleasant office. Great free food and perks. Lots of autonomy and big problems to solve. Engineer driven culture. Down to earth, available CEO.

ConsBeing on-call and dealing with lots of product uncertainty. Long commute if you live in SF. Work-life balance tends to steer toward work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's nothing I'd advice them that I wouldn't and haven't said in person.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good company to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook

ProsHighly motivated environment. Good compensation and benefits. Decent outdoor activities. Projects are interesting and real-word problems.

ConsOffice location is little obscure and isolated. Food is free but not variety of choice. I have to bring my own food.

Amazing company

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

ProsPeople, projects, pace - it's all great.

ConsLots of travel. Can work long days if you want to.

Great company

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook part-time for more than a year

Prosgreat company and online prodict

Consnot that many significant cons

Advice to Senior Managementkepp doing what your doing

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 640 reviews are posted anonymously by Facebook employees.