Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you(in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life(in 24 reviews)

Great

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThere is a great work environment.

ConsIt is a male dominated environment.

Simply the most amazing place to work at

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsTalented people everywhere, lots of perks.

ConsHard to manage the work/life balance, hard to keep pace with everything happening since the company is getting larger and larger

Startup-up culture still evident, but hitting growing pains

Product Analyst (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsFast paced, high impact, lots of freedom to pursue directions you find interesting, awesome data set, the ability to have an idea and see it implemented and affecting real people in weeks or months instead of years

ConsWork/life balance not great, overarching "connect the world" goal pretty consistent and clear, but specific direction is often lacking and/or inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much stress on things that are really just minutiae

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

ProsHave a great experience and meet new people

ConsWorkload can be heavy and gruelling for some people

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove training and other things

Disappointing - I worked in FB full time for over a year and was let go over something really minor.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice food, free everything, macbook, iphone as many replacements as you really want... nice campus , free bus to SFO, cool people etc,

ConsPeople spend most of their day just processing tickets. Without the benefits, not a lot would work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo easy on people, you aren't the be all or end all. Glorified service industry jobs with cool surroundings.

Satisfactory

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsVery friendly staff, meals are very good

ConsAt times there can be very little communication intra-day between staff

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter interaction between all levels of staff

Great place to work...very hard... but this teenager of a company is still trying to figure out its HR policies.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsThe "Move Fast" reputation Facebook is known for is truly how it is inside the company. This makes getting the job done a much less painful experience. Truly an "ask for forgiveness" environment (no need to ask for permission). If there was no downside (which there is), I would give this company a rating of 5 stars hands down.

ConsFacebook is still in its teenage years of development. While many HR processes & policies are mature (the hiring process is best I've seen), fraternization is overlooked (aka sex between coworkers, sometimes even in the office itself) and relationships within chain of command are accepted/overlooked - yet don't dare say "pimp my ride" in an open space as you will get your hands slapped.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can still have the best culture in the world even when implementing some of the standard HR policies you would expect at any reasonably sized company. Do you really think its OK for relationships be in the chain of command (family, dating, etc)?

Astounding autonomy given to each employee. A very strong culture and work ethic.

Data Scientist (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsNot only is everyone incredibly sharp and very good at their jobs, but also, almost without exception, everyone is a pleasure to work and associate with. I'm given an incredible work/life balance. I feel like working on my team is like working with a close group of friends.

ConsCareer paths not very well defined. My interactions with the executive team have been incredibly positive and inspiring. Unfortunately, I've met many director/VPs who tend to be bro-ish and/or cocky.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess hubris. This applies mostly to director/VP level, many of whom are becoming a little too self-important.

Mediocre managers at best

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsThere are a lot of smart people at Facebook. My colleagues are smart and nice. Even after I left Facebook, I kept my connections with them. With their help, I am able to land a job at a promising job at a top startup.

ConsMy manager knew very little about computer science and the basic principles about software engineering. I feel sorry for him when he mentioned the peer pressure at FB, and showed me "good" examples of code. I do not bother to work with him again.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you hire managers from outside the company, you need to be careful about their technical skills. Hire more smart new graduates, instead of some mediocre managers from some other companies.

Not bad

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA lot of chances to improve your skills and experience , good place to get that. I really think it is useful working there

ConsBad enviroment in the office , too much competition between workers, thats not good in the long run

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!