Facebook

Facebook Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros:
  • "The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you"
    in 68 reviews
  • "Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location"
    in 51 reviews
Cons:
  • "Terrible work/life balance unless you actively set barriers and don't do some things"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Not really a con but a tradeoff for moving fast: lack of documentation"
    in 28 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awesome working experience

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are so many things..

ConsVer few things which you will hate

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. They all are fine

The Company is great, but I worked for an abusive-psycopathic bully boss

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Company is great, and your co-workers are very smart. Perks on the job are really good.

ConsI happened to work for a bullying boss of the psychopathic kind and that too in a control function. He would put on the charm to superiors, while he abused every one of his team. The entire team quit within 2 years of joining the company and HR looked the other way. The boss was the worst -- he was a habitual liar, withheld information from direct reports on critical matters, took credit for all ideas, blamed everyone on any bad news but himself and his lack of management skill, and even spread misinformation and confusion about individual performance to his superiors. He was stupidly risk taking, which is the wrong kind of person to put in a control function, which left the team very, very worried about compliance lapses. Unfortunately, it was too late before anyone in the team could realize the damage that the jerk was causing and the abuse he had heaped day after day. Everyone decided to seek out better avenues, which was not an issue given the decade + work experience that each one had.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make sure that HR does its job in filtering psychopaths from occupying managerial positions.

Mindblowing!

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat deal of flexibility
Most amazing senior management and some of the best mentors
The perfect place to kickstart your career and learn about the corporate
A dynamic organization with well defined structures. But not so rigidly defined that you lose out on flexibility
free food, great parties and offsites, intellectual and passionate people and the best culture

ConsLow compensation and long working hours ( though largely a personal choice)

Impactful work. Great peers. Greater learning.

Product Specialist (Current Employee)
Hyderābād

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople. Food. Culture. Work/Life balance. Opportunity to work some great industry leaders. Impactful projects --> more users see/feel that impact during their experience on the site.

Consmid/senior management. tending to get bureaucratic. myopic view of large-scale projects/work.

Satisfied Ex-Employee

Specialist, Global Marketing Solutions (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work culture. They literally move fast. Things get done very quickly. People are helpful, and some of the best people you'll meet.

ConsThe ambiguity in work sometimes gets to you. No career path, and proper mentoring that you can claim. Everything with regards to personal or career development is laden with jargon and hyperbole in discussions. Things like "you have to move to the next level" are what you'll hear, but not how to.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to employees about career paths, and do something for everyone who works for you. If you let people go because you have decided to downsize in the back-offices, even though they are stellar performers, you aren't really living up to your values.

The brilliance of Facebook community power

Intern (Former Employee)
New Delhi

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

ProsApart from the obvious salary perks and the added benefits. The best reason is you get to work on something you like, also the sense of significance and contribution. The code is shipped sometimes in a week and even in three days. There's no next year here.

ConsThough there is this sense of contribution, working in facebook soon begins to take its toil on you. There is hardly any time left for doing anything else and the projects at work are often so complicated that they occupy your mind long after you have left the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe tricky questions are fun but I think are unnecessary

excellent company

balanced life
better projects

Consnot so good middle level management

nice company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Prosgood working environment.
good work ethics.
great salary
balanced life
better projects

Consnot so good middle level management

Advice to Senior Managementlook after employees

Mixed

I have been working at Facebook full-time

ProsGreat perks, reasonable degree of autonomy, a culture of moving fast.

ConsUnreasonable organizational walls. Like someone said, "sales trumps ops, marketing trumps sales, product trumps marketing and engineering trumps product." while these decision making hierarchies are OK in some contexts, they are quite unreasonable in most.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus carefully on where decision making sits. There is too much centralization today.

excellent

I have been working at Facebook

Prosi like it very much

Conssometimes it is boring to me

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Facebook reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. All 637 reviews are posted anonymously by Facebook employees.