Facebook Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
4.4

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • Mostly engineer-driven place, so a lot of smart people to motivate you to do well (in 81 reviews)

• Amazing office culture and community and the free food doesn't hurt (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • Because on the other hand we are always encourage to apply work life balance (in 51 reviews)

• Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Very fast-paced, lots of impact.

Current Employee - Communications  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Communications in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

The fact that Facebook's product touches 1.3 BILLION people on a monthly basis is incredible. To support a community this large, everyone who works at Facebook must be willing to act fast, and often take risk. You are given a lot of autonomy in your role; however, FB is also surprisingly collaborative. I have never worked at a company where literally everyone I work with is equally as smart and hard-working across the board.

Cons

There are tons of resources for training and leadership here, but often not enough time to take advantage of everything that is offered.

I find the most successful managers are those who encourage their employees to take advantage of what is offered to every FB employee. Taking vacation is important, as is parental leave. Our leadership team does a great job of taking time off and encouraging others at the company to do the same.

Good food, great work culture

Current Employee - Temporary Worker  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Temporary Worker in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

- Micro kitchens have a good nice variety

- Awesome food choices around the campus during lunch and dinner times.

- Very good work environment, in terms of getting tech equipments that make you work more efficiently and comfortable.

- Mostly engineer-driven place, so a lot of smart people to motivate you to do well.

- Community Operations management is nice. As long as you get your work done and don't slack off, the work environment is enjoyable.

Cons

- Discrimination between permanent employees vs. temporary employees.

- Long commute to work

Make sure temporary workers feel just as important as permanent employees (ex. include them in activities).
    You never know where they will end up in their career, so it will pay off in the long run if you are nice to them earlier on.

"It is nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. Treat others how you want to be treated."

Developer Operations Analyst

Current Employee - Developer Operations Analyst  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Developer Operations Analyst in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I look forward to getting up in the morning and coming in to work with friends!

Cons

The commute from San Francisco. (not really a company thing)

Stay awesome! Provide opportunities for people to learn more (i.e. classes)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and impactful

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Fast moving company culture
    Fun, hard-working, and smart employees
    Great perks/competitive compensation
    Work on a product that billions of people use
    Company has a variety of technical issues they have to tackle, and that you can work on
    Meritocracy; evaluated based on impact, not how much your manager likes you.

Cons

Takes a while to get familiar with the code base due to some of their unique technologies, tools, and sheer size of their code base.
    Code documentation could be better.

Wonderful Experience... Would recommend!

I worked at Facebook as an intern

Pros

The perks here are wonderful. You get free food three meals a day, five days a week, not counting the gym, the events, the off sites... In addition, Facebook is very flexible with teams. You get to choose your team and you can switch if you're discontent. Facebook really cares about its employees

Cons

Because there's not really any hours, it's easy to get trapped in a workaholic mentality. The perks also tend to keep you there longer, all contributing to a longer (though extremely fun and rewarding) day.

Best company in the Valley

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Palo Alto, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Making an impact on more than billion people.

Cons

None really. It's all good.

Software engineer. Great culture, lots of fun.

Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, easy to talk to anyone you want throughout the company. I felt like I was given a challenging task and able to grow as an engineer.

Cons

Everyone is very skilled. Depending on your team, it can be hard to 'stand out' (debatable as to whether this is a con or not).

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - ITT  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - ITT in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Free meals and having a lot of friends

Cons

Always on the computer.

Staff is a little nerdy

Great experience, great prospects

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

If Facebook calls you, at least listen to the pitch. There are no downsides to working at Facebook. The brand currently has enormous respect, and work is nice (although demanding). To succeed, you need to be a self starter and there is an astonishing lack of ego. In many ways, this might be the most perfect work environment.

Cons

There is no downside to working at Facebook. I do not expect to stay long, but I will stay long enough.

I have no advice to management and if I did, I would say so at an "all hands."

The Toughest (non-military) Job You'll Ever Love

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I worked at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Facebook was the longest job I ever held, and it's testament to the people, the product and the perks. You're surrounded by an astounding number of really smart, accomplished people who are really dedicated to the company and its mission of connecting the world. Watching the company grow as the product grew from fewer than 50 million users to well over a billion in a few years was an astounding feat.

It's a work hard, play hard place. During my time there, the layers of management did grow, but the organization really strove to stay as nimble and fast-moving as possible. Most of the time, people are recognized and rewarded for their impact.

The perks are up there with the rest of the top Silicon Valley companies. And I really do miss taking a shuttle to work now.

Cons

Depending upon your role, you can find your growth options limiting.

The "work hard" half of the ethos can really burn some people out. (then again, I guess the "play hard" side could do the same...)

There is a bit of an entitlement mentality among some people there, but leadership and others try to stamp that out.

Don't let Sheryl leave!

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!