Facebook Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

4.3

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg
Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you (in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance (in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

A non-stop learning, engaging environment!

Current Employee - Data Engineer  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being around so many talented and knowledgeable people. Flexibility is also great allowing us to work from home when needed.

Cons

As a company grows, it faces many challenges in scaling its workforce include re-structures. Facebook is not immune to this.

Open, transparent, and flexible

Facebook is the best company I've ever worked for, hands-down.

Current Employee - Director  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Ambitious, world-changing mission as a company
    - Great leadership
    - Lots of autonomy and ability to get things done quickly

Cons

- Lots of work to do
    - Can be intense + challenging

Engineer, Infra team Menlo Park, CA

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've worked in half a dozen companies in my career and this is definitely one of the top two. I suspect I will rate FB #1 by next year. The work is intellectually challenging, the environment is fast-paced, and the people I work with are excellent. FB has its eye on the ball at all times for its core platform yet is always looking at other opportunities for growth, though they may take several years to bear fruit. Management is open and accessible, particularly the weekly Q&A's with MZ and the leadership team - I've never experienced senior executives sharing that much information with an entire company before. Colleagues are easy to work with - not a lot of ego or politics that I've seen. In fact, we are reminded to check our ego as we enter the building - there is a lot of cooperation here.
    The benefits & perks are really amazing - I don't think college hires or interns truly appreciate what is offered here unless they have worked for other employers. (You can never take these things for granted, so I really appreciate these perks.) And the total compensation structure seems very competitive - they have many dials and buttons to play with, and I feel I am well-compensated for my contributions.
    The commute benefits are excellent, and make it really easy to use transit, shuttles or vanpools. Driving to work is just so stressful, both ways. I'd really rather not.

Cons

Long hours away from home, due to my own commute situation and long working hours. But since I've only been here less than a year, it's important to show results early. The learning curve is steep and the bar is set very high, so it will be easy to separate the productive from the not-very-productive in a short timeline.

Wander around more often to individual offices to get a good reading on people and their issues.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing company, culture and people

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Facebook

Pros

Brilliant leadership, empowering employees to be creative and productive. It's an inspiring and fun place to work

Cons

Lots of young, bright talent don't have good benchmarks for comparison. Their expectations and (limited) complaints can be at times unreasonable.

Keep doing what you're doing.

I can't think of a better place to work at

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

Here at Facebook, the destination is space, and beyond. It is only up to you on what you want to achieve. No one will stop you. All the perks, smart people, amazing environment and great tools will help you get there. I am honored to be able to work here.

Cons

The company is growing in a fast peace and it may become harder and harder to keep the culture and values and each and every employee satisfied. But hey, if we did not grow, I would not be here either.

We must keep the bar high going forward and also make sure that candidates are resonating with our mission and culture so we only have super motivated employees. (Which I have experienced so far)

Never run out of interesting stuff to work on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are constant opportunities to have huge impacts, and more interesting projects than you'll ever have time to get involved in. One amazing aspect is that everyone is truly open, it's not just an empty motto here, so collaboration is very easy. You can follow anyone else's work through internal tools, provide feedback, join in a random project during a Hackathon, etc.

Cons

With so much going on and things moving so fast, you need to figure out how to find your focus, take ownership and execute.

A Happy Employee !!!

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture here is very open. From day one we get access to every piece of code and the company trusts us to contribute our best without being afraid of breaking some code in the process. Exorbitant amount of power with respect to choice is given to each employee from choosing his his/her own team to the areas within the team they want to work on. This results in a deep sense of trust and ownership which drives each and every employee to contribute to their limits. And the perks never stop :)

Cons

I haven't seen one yet.

You guys are doing a great work with respect to keeping bureaucracy out of Facebook. Please keep up the same efforts in future too.

Seems like it's always the best time to be here

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everything in engineering is cutting edge. The projects we get to take on are huge, and there's lots of learning to be done. The decisions for engineering are made by me, not handed down by someone else. The culture is also made by me, not handed down by someone else. (As an individual, you own the experience/culture/projects at FB just as much as anyone else does)

Currently, I have an awesome manager who is helping me to personally grow as well.

Also, it seems like all of the cultural decisions that were made by the m-team here are extremely well thought out. They always seem to be the most natural / reasonable decisions

Cons

None yet. My work life balance on my own was never that consistent. I would work really hard some days, and not do much the other days. I still follow that pattern.

Amazing culture built by great people

I have been working at Facebook full-time for less than a year

Pros

In my opinion, Facebook operates under a policy of extreme trust and respect for its employees. It gives us many privileges and opportunities, and it trusts us to not screw things up or abuse our privileges. In return, the employees all respect the company back. In addition, everyone is ridiculously smart and amazing and a pleasure to work with.

Cons

It's very easy to feel intimidated and see others doing better than you. Maybe it's just the initial phase of getting used to things though, so I think I will see how it goes.

Our internal culture is beautiful and says a lot about us. Why aren't we sharing more of it with the outside world?

Awesome place to work!

I have been working at Facebook full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Engineers get a lot of responsibility and room to grow in their careers. You work on things affecting hundreds of millions of people directly and there are not many places where you get that much impact. You learn a ton about the world.

Cons

With great power comes great responsibility. Sometimes you need thick skin to work on user-facing things.

Make sure that we maintain quality employees as we grow.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!