Facebook

Facebook Reviews in San Francisco, CA US

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg

Mark Zuckerberg

Pros
  • The best thing about this place is that you have so many smart people around you(in 70 reviews)

• Free food, young and lively coworkers, downtown location(in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the most understanding environment when it comes to work/life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Long Hours and some times you cant balance work and your personal life(in 24 reviews)

296 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

An amazing time

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

Pros- Great reach
    - Great people
    - Great resources
    - Great projects
    - Great perks & compensation

The fast-paced movement really aligns well with me.

ConsYour life inside and outside of work will likely become blended. This may be okay. Many people at the company have become my friends.

Really enjoy working here

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsGreat place to work--great people, interesting work, great perks, lots of opportunity to take on more responsibility.

ConsCan't really complain about anything

Interesting work, ample learing opportunities, smart people, great perks, excellent compensation, fun environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsThe biggest problem with working for Facebook is showing up to work every day (well, not every day since the work-from-home policy is pretty liberal) and thinking, "Man, this must be a bubble. I mean, there's a bouncy house, 10 scotch bars, and they're roasting a pig in Hacker Square."

But, if you can stand that, the rest is great.

ConsGotta be REALLY careful with data. Despite what you see on Facebook, there is nothing that Facebook is more concerned about than protecting its users' data. People "disappear" from time to time, and the reason is usually that someone *&(^ed up and did something with data that they shouldn't have, whether accidentally or intentionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareful with the B-School BS. Let's keep it a no-nonsense, engineering-focused company. Stop using the (non)word, "learnings." Squash any hint of bureaucracy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amenities amazing, but you'll work really hard

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsWonderful amenities - the food is just outstanding. Everything is home-made and natural or organic. Wide variety with lots of restaurants, and it's all FREE.
    Beautiful campus, bicycles are available for either going from building to building or going for a ride in the afternoon
    Lots of places to relax or lie down if you need a break
    GREAT coffee and a Philz coffee on campus
    Sweet Stop shop if you need a sugar lift in the PM
    Fantastic help desk for IT issues. Anything you need to do your job is given to you. Laptops and phones are top-of-the-line.
    Something is always happening on campus, whether it's a vendor, a celebrity visitor, or Mark Z making an appearance.

ConsWork is always abundant and there is a chaotic atmosphere
    The feel is always "do it right now"
    People are under a lot of pressure to get things done
    Atmosphere can be impersonal because you're so "hooked in" to everyone else electronically, that you can work from home very easily

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat place to work, keep it up!

Simply the most amazing place to work at

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsTalented people everywhere, lots of perks.

ConsHard to manage the work/life balance, hard to keep pace with everything happening since the company is getting larger and larger

Startup-up culture still evident, but hitting growing pains

Product Analyst (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsFast paced, high impact, lots of freedom to pursue directions you find interesting, awesome data set, the ability to have an idea and see it implemented and affecting real people in weeks or months instead of years

ConsWork/life balance not great, overarching "connect the world" goal pretty consistent and clear, but specific direction is often lacking and/or inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much stress on things that are really just minutiae

Great place to work...very hard... but this teenager of a company is still trying to figure out its HR policies.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsThe "Move Fast" reputation Facebook is known for is truly how it is inside the company. This makes getting the job done a much less painful experience. Truly an "ask for forgiveness" environment (no need to ask for permission). If there was no downside (which there is), I would give this company a rating of 5 stars hands down.

ConsFacebook is still in its teenage years of development. While many HR processes & policies are mature (the hiring process is best I've seen), fraternization is overlooked (aka sex between coworkers, sometimes even in the office itself) and relationships within chain of command are accepted/overlooked - yet don't dare say "pimp my ride" in an open space as you will get your hands slapped.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can still have the best culture in the world even when implementing some of the standard HR policies you would expect at any reasonably sized company. Do you really think its OK for relationships be in the chain of command (family, dating, etc)?

Astounding autonomy given to each employee. A very strong culture and work ethic.

Data Scientist (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsNot only is everyone incredibly sharp and very good at their jobs, but also, almost without exception, everyone is a pleasure to work and associate with. I'm given an incredible work/life balance. I feel like working on my team is like working with a close group of friends.

ConsCareer paths not very well defined. My interactions with the executive team have been incredibly positive and inspiring. Unfortunately, I've met many director/VPs who tend to be bro-ish and/or cocky.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess hubris. This applies mostly to director/VP level, many of whom are becoming a little too self-important.

Mediocre managers at best

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsThere are a lot of smart people at Facebook. My colleagues are smart and nice. Even after I left Facebook, I kept my connections with them. With their help, I am able to land a job at a promising job at a top startup.

ConsMy manager knew very little about computer science and the basic principles about software engineering. I feel sorry for him when he mentioned the peer pressure at FB, and showed me "good" examples of code. I do not bother to work with him again.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you hire managers from outside the company, you need to be careful about their technical skills. Hire more smart new graduates, instead of some mediocre managers from some other companies.

Extremely cliquey, political, poor culture, lacking in communication and career growth.

Finance (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA (US)

ProsAmazing food, great campus and latest technology.

ConsManagement lacking in leadership and communication. Blamed is passed down to front line employee's. Very poor work life balance. Half the department left due to politics.

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!