Fastenal

Updated 16 December 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 50 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

A good company to work with.

Current Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work is very much dependent on your team, for some it is good (like mine) and for some it is not that great.
    The company started a new center in India and initially it was not very stable, the roles were not defined properly, the vision was not clear and in short their were some problems and i guess that explains the couple of negative feedback on this page.
    1. Good opportunity to learn new technologies.
    2. Culture is good, well i guess they hired few good people in the beginning.
    3. A good place to do something new, you will be noticed if you come up with some innovative idea to improve business. ( I am not sure if you will be compensated well for that innovation, because i haven't done anything awesome yet :P )
    4. Good work life balance and a lot of flexibility about your work timings.
    5. A small but good pantry with cookies, fruits, bread and other refreshments.
    6. Recreation items like TT, dart and all available in playing area.

Cons

1. There are some policies which are not very clear ( i understand that this can be a very big problem for many)
    2. No cafeteria, you will have to arrange for your own lunch.
    3. Office building is pretty small, i think they should (and are planning) to move to a bigger building soon.
    4. A little lobbying in hiring and other processes.

1. Be clear and open with policies.
    2. Compensate well, it is very difficult for people to live in Bangalore and not try for switch :)
    3. It is just one year, so i think we should give some more time to the leadership to evolve.

Tread carefully! Fastenal India (IT Division) is the worst company to join, EVER

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company gave me a chance to come to south India, for which I will be very thankful always

Cons

Fastenal is the most pathetic brand to work with, ever. Crappy management, hire and fire situations, no growth, no work culture and worst thing being, they have no respect for people whatsoever. anybody can be thrown out at any time. Join any other company but never join Fastenal IT India, unless you want to have some adventure with your career.

Lots of office politics, only those who can do buttering of VP and higher management can survive. Honest workers shall be very disappointed. Any policy can change at any time and to suit the management, no clear data on profits and sharing, which was promised while joining, never got a raise and never got any bonus, because I did my work with utmost conviction and being true to myself and me team. I never did any show off that hey! Look at me I am loud and I am working, so give me a raise, instead I wanted my work to speak for myself, and I was so wrong. I wish I had those vamp like qualities, I could definitely survive here.

Please never ever join Fastenal IT India, this is my advise to you. If you do, do it at your own risk and have aback up plan ready.

Please stop sucking your employees blood, they are humans too. And for a change, take a stand and for gods sake, speak few words to motivate them, that's the least you can do. Don't just try and save your job and play with your team, guide them better and get a life, seriously! Shouting at employees all the time will not make you a great leader

Don't get deceived

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Anyone who had worked here for a few weeks wouldn't have Pro to mention here

Cons

It would be a never ending list. But few to mention so that fellow engineer may escape from hell
    1) Quick Hire and Quick Fire - they don't think before hiring and they give no reasons for firing
    2) No basic courtesy - management behavior is very volatile after hiring and you can sense the difference once you on-boarding is complete
    3) No goals - entire IT team works in an adhoc manner due to absence of leadership qualities
    4) No corporate culture - You are expected to take orders without any questions. If so you will be framed and screwed for lifetime
    5) No ethics - Dummy HR and no one to support employees in case of any grievances

Please think twice before you hire engineers and don't kill someones carrier & future due to lack of planning

Developer

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is no positives to be found at that wretched place.

Cons

Very problematic to work at that place. No peace of mind. No body has any sense off things going on. On source vs off source issue. Little mad VP and managers.

They hire and fire without any reason.

No minimum decency. Your are expected to take orders and you will not even know, why you are fired.

Neither you will learn anything from this company.

Somehow it feels good to be get fire by this company.

Make a informed decision before joining this place, if you have to join. Talk to more than couple of people who have worked or working before you join, if you must need to join.

Don't join if you value your career and expect people to treat you with self respect

Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No Pros for genuine professionals. People are not treated with even a basic courtesy and are considered as mere order takers with no questions or reasoning.

Cons

Surprised to see that I'm the first person to write a review. A bunch more got separated from this company before me.

Fastenal IT India is a new company in Bangalore which is operating for last 6+ months and fired more people than the number of months of its existence.

Its my fault to join this company as I was invited to the company with lot of expectations. But disappointed to see the real picture on joining the company. Its a very small office with handful of people and tend to get monitored including personal phone calls on mobile. People are treated as dummies and no respect. This is the first MNC that I have come through which has hire and fire policy for no reason. I'm one of the victims and the reason I was asked to leave is that I commute long distance between home and work. If you want to get yourself assessed within a week by managers, you can join this company.

I had travelled to Australia, US & UK while employed with my previous employers but have not seen a work place like this. I learn't that I was a backfill for a position which was left by one other employee within short span (less than two months) and he is happily enjoying the work now at Oracle. If I had this knowledge before joining I would have done more ground work before making this fateful decision of joining Fastenal IT India.

Even after reading this review you have thoughts of joining this company, please take time to visit the office and check with the existing employees there. My prayers are there for you!!

I honestly wouldn't recommend this company even for my enemy. Learn to treat people in the right way. Just because you employ it doesn't mean you can take employees for ride and demoralize them. Be reasonable and realistic.

Good company, bad pay

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Ashland, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Ashland, KY (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is amazing. I knew nothing about this industry and am now the 2nd most knowledgeable in my store. Good health insurance, pay is OK. Lowest pay in the industry, from what I've been told. Overall, completely satisfied with the company.

Cons

Little to no room to grow. My Outside Sales Person (OSP) has been with the company 3 years and has not seen a raise or promotion. Top performer in the district. Pay needs to be higher. No degree needed (can be good or bad).

Require a college degree, even an associates. Stop lowering commission ratings.

Solid Company, directions is not trending up

Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

No degree needed. Good base starting salary. Amazing training with good product knowledge focus.

Cons

Competitive. Becoming more centralize in decision making. No cost of living change.

Pay people who live in NY a LITTLE bit more than someone living in po-dunk Iowa

Great opportunity to drive your own pay!

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Fastenal full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow. Pays well if you work hard. Great learning experience of how to run your own business

Cons

Can have long days, have to work hard to drive sales.

Need more staffing in the storea

A very easy going company that allows students to work around their schedule to gain experience in retail and in sales.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule for students working while attending college.
    Good pay for what you have to do.
    Decent GM's

Cons

No vertical integration.
    Degrees do not get you higher pay.
    Long time before you can be moved up if you dont want to be shipped to another store

More opportunities for individuals with bachelors degrees

Loads of opportunity if you're willing to put in the effort

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- great opportunity to grow within the organization
    - excellent benefits (insurance, vacation, etc)
    - competitive pay (a lot of which is determined by the work you do)
    - growing organization with great financial stability
    - opportunity to move domestically or internationally
    - ability to travel and experience things most don't get to

Cons

- expectations to/from 'the street' seem unattainable in the long-term
    - sometimes difficult for local representatives to see the big picture
    - international presence needs focus
    - pay structure for some departments seems to change too often
    - from time to time it feels like we forget we're a multi-billion dollar organization

Seek more feedback from different levels within the organization. Build a plan that includes everyone from the bottom up.

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)
Delivering material