Fastenal Reviews

Updated 28 September 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 41 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't get deceived

Current Employee - Developer  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Anyone who had worked here for a few weeks wouldn't have Pro to mention here

Cons

It would be a never ending list. But few to mention so that fellow engineer may escape from hell
    1) Quick Hire and Quick Fire - they don't think before hiring and they give no reasons for firing
    2) No basic courtesy - management behavior is very volatile after hiring and you can sense the difference once you on-boarding is complete
    3) No goals - entire IT team works in an adhoc manner due to absence of leadership qualities
    4) No corporate culture - You are expected to take orders without any questions. If so you will be framed and screwed for lifetime
    5) No ethics - Dummy HR and no one to support employees in case of any grievances

Please think twice before you hire engineers and don't kill someones carrier & future due to lack of planning

Developer

Current Employee - Developer  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no positives to be found at that wretched place.

Cons

Very problematic to work at that place. No peace of mind. No body has any sense off things going on. On source vs off source issue. Little mad VP and managers.

They hire and fire without any reason.

No minimum decency. Your are expected to take orders and you will not even know, why you are fired.

Neither you will learn anything from this company.

Somehow it feels good to be get fire by this company.

Make a informed decision before joining this place, if you have to join. Talk to more than couple of people who have worked or working before you join, if you must need to join.

Don't join if you value your career and expect people to treat you with self respect

Former Employee - Developer  in  Bangalore
    Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

Pros

No Pros for genuine professionals. People are not treated with even a basic courtesy and are considered as mere order takers with no questions or reasoning.

Cons

Surprised to see that I'm the first person to write a review. A bunch more got separated from this company before me.

Fastenal IT India is a new company in Bangalore which is operating for last 6+ months and fired more people than the number of months of its existence.

Its my fault to join this company as I was invited to the company with lot of expectations. But disappointed to see the real picture on joining the company. Its a very small office with handful of people and tend to get monitored including personal phone calls on mobile. People are treated as dummies and no respect. This is the first MNC that I have come through which has hire and fire policy for no reason. I'm one of the victims and the reason I was asked to leave is that I commute long distance between home and work. If you want to get yourself assessed within a week by managers, you can join this company.

I had travelled to Australia, US & UK while employed with my previous employers but have not seen a work place like this. I learn't that I was a backfill for a position which was left by one other employee within short span (less than two months) and he is happily enjoying the work now at Oracle. If I had this knowledge before joining I would have done more ground work before making this fateful decision of joining Fastenal IT India.

Even after reading this review you have thoughts of joining this company, please take time to visit the office and check with the existing employees there. My prayers are there for you!!

I honestly wouldn't recommend this company even for my enemy. Learn to treat people in the right way. Just because you employ it doesn't mean you can take employees for ride and demoralize them. Be reasonable and realistic.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent pay for the work you do

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Easy job and good work environment

Cons

Lots to learn on your own

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Woodinville, WA (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Woodinville, WA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to move up quickly
    Good tools
    Autonomy to be creative

Cons

Lack of manager support
    Too many stores in close proximity - small territories
    Low earning potential

Broaden territories and provide more in person support from District Managers.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Sales Support
    Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fastenal taught me to be an excellent worker however your experience will be determined by your GM. If they find it worth their time to invest into you, you will learn and operate way above your pay grade. If you seem like a bad investment, you will not learn much and get by without learning. Learn all you can, immerse yourself and if you see it fitting, you can create a career with Fastenal. If you do not see it fitting you will still walk away with a great experience.

Cons

Poor incentives for part time employees. You can give it your 130% while other part timers work to rule and barely scrape by. This causes hard workers to lose motivation

This is a great Company with tons of opportunity, although it is a entry level position. When you stay with the Company

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Entry Level Position in Sales
    Great exposure to B2B sales and essentially like you are running your own business with a Billion Dollar backbone

Cons

Large Corporation
    Company had become too large and going through growing pains
    Not a ton of work life balance if you want to grow within the Company

Sales Trainee

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Great culture
    Decent Management
    Off on Weekends

Cons

Little room to grow .
    Pay can be way better .

Great college job. Not much else unless relocation is an option.

Former Employee - Account Specialist  in  Bellmead, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Bellmead, TX (US)

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule for PT workers. Laid back atmosphere.

Cons

Unless relocation is an option, kiss any chance of upward mobility goodbye.

Communicate down chain to let employees know you care, get a better health insurance plan!!!

Depends on where you are.

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Stoney Creek, ON (Canada)

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good training and opportunity to progress from within.

Cons

low base pay for sales and middle management.

Increase base pay to attract better talent and retain current talent.

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)

+ Add Photo

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!