Fastenal Reviews

Updated 22 September 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 39 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Developer

Current Employee - Developer  in  Bangalore
    Current Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is no positives to be found at that wretched place.

Cons

Very problematic to work at that place. No peace of mind. No body has any sense off things going on. On source vs off source issue. Little mad VP and managers.

They hire and fire without any reason.

No minimum decency. Your are expected to take orders and you will not even know, why you are fired.

Neither you will learn anything from this company.

Somehow it feels good to be get fire by this company.

Make a informed decision before joining this place, if you have to join. Talk to more than couple of people who have worked or working before you join, if you must need to join.

Don't join if you value your career and expect people to treat you with self respect

Former Employee - Developer  in  Bangalore
    Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

Pros

No Pros for genuine professionals. People are not treated with even a basic courtesy and are considered as mere order takers with no questions or reasoning.

Cons

Surprised to see that I'm the first person to write a review. A bunch more got separated from this company before me.

Fastenal IT India is a new company in Bangalore which is operating for last 6+ months and fired more people than the number of months of its existence.

Its my fault to join this company as I was invited to the company with lot of expectations. But disappointed to see the real picture on joining the company. Its a very small office with handful of people and tend to get monitored including personal phone calls on mobile. People are treated as dummies and no respect. This is the first MNC that I have come through which has hire and fire policy for no reason. I'm one of the victims and the reason I was asked to leave is that I commute long distance between home and work. If you want to get yourself assessed within a week by managers, you can join this company.

I had travelled to Australia, US & UK while employed with my previous employers but have not seen a work place like this. I learn't that I was a backfill for a position which was left by one other employee within short span (less than two months) and he is happily enjoying the work now at Oracle. If I had this knowledge before joining I would have done more ground work before making this fateful decision of joining Fastenal IT India.

Even after reading this review you have thoughts of joining this company, please take time to visit the office and check with the existing employees there. My prayers are there for you!!

I honestly wouldn't recommend this company even for my enemy. Learn to treat people in the right way. Just because you employ it doesn't mean you can take employees for ride and demoralize them. Be reasonable and realistic.

Great people to work with.

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Once full time their benefits are very good.

Cons

High turnover rate not enough paid holidays, considering the fast paced work environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CDL DRIVER POSITION Not to bad, aggravating at times...

Current Employee - CDL Driver  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - CDL Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, vacation from day one, Every Saturday off, 9 major holidays off with pay. Equipment is taken care of. Max 2 day routes (14 hr, 10hr break and then 4-6 hr back). Lots of one day routes. Amazing profit sharing program. Lots of opportunities to move around. ( pro's VS. cons ) * considering everything in its totality you are not going to get home as often with the pay at this company vs. anywhere else. If there is I havent found such company.

Cons

Sitting on dock without pay until your trailer is loaded. Medical insurance for a company of this size should be more affordable. Family coverage is about $470 a month. No FSA or co-pay's its straight deductable and co-insurance. They are huge on promoting from with in so this means lots of inexperience in a variety of postions, sometimes your management. High turn over everywhere, stores, hubs.... it seems the higher up are always trying to figure out ways to pay you less.. while the big boys are fluffing their bank accounts. ( pro's VS. cons ) * considering everything in its totality you are not going to get home as often with the pay at this company vs. anywhere else. If there is I havent found such company.

Dont preach communicate communicate communicate to everyone when you dont do it yourselves. I have been sitting in the office when a traffic manager will send an email to a person in the same office, a person sitting not 10 feet away when they could have just spoke the words...seems kind of silly to me that you just wont speak to one another.

It is a good place to work as a part-timer.

Current Employee - Laborer  in  Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Laborer in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

Pros

Laid Back
    Isn't hard work
    co-workers are friendly

Cons

Dirty, a little strenuous, sometimes gets a little boring.

None

Solid Start to Sales Career

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Vineland, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Vineland, NJ (US)

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked for Fastenal for two years, first as an intern then as an outside sales rep. It was a good environment and I had the tools to be my own boss. I loved going outside for sales calls. Fast advancement if you try.

Cons

District Managers can be tricky but if you get a good one all they ask is that you hit your sales goals.

Less nitpicky and let the reps and GM's to their jobs.

Day to day is very much the same.

Current Employee - Sales Support
    Current Employee - Sales Support

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Day to day operations consist of everything from cold calling to counting inventory to collections. It is a business where you can learn a little about a lot.

Cons

Once you get to GM status, there isn't much room for advancement, even though upper management swears there is. Stores are encouraged to act as a franchise, but at the end of the day corporate complains about things individual stores do.

Stop doing things the way they were done 50 years and have a progressive attitude. Quit focusing only on the bad and every now and then focus on the good.

Won't get rich

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Very stable and a lot of freedom

Cons

Company doesn't value performers, hard to get a raise........they just tell you to sell more. Very very cheap all around, no frills

You will lose your good people if you don't reward them, quit pandering to the bottom feeders.

Bright beginnings but the shine fades quickly.

Current Employee - Sales Support  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Support in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely good employee discount. If you are a tinkerer in your spare time consider how cheap a lot of your supplies you need to get will be as a perk.

Cons

For part time employees their are ZERO benefits. Your pay is also unchanging based on seniority, time spent with the company and even things like the district being severely understaffed presenting a shortage of labor. From what I am told the District Managers set pay. You are told to move up but with this idea of everyone always moving up it is hard to keep good ground level sales support staffed so the store is constantly revolving sales support which stresses the manager. Unless your labor force is willing to put up with terrible benefits and a lack of advancement within a position do not become a GM here, you will be highly overworked.

This seems to be a problem with the company as a whole, constantly training new hires to fill the lower end roles is extremely detrimental to your company. I have been with my branch almost a year and have seen a very high turnover rate in my district. The kind of work ethic you get from the average person when you refuse any kind of benefits or incentive to continue with your company in a part time capacity is going to be low. Couple this with the idea that was thrown at me by a DM that "you are part time and cannot accept as much responsibility" is ludicrous.

My pay should reflect me as a worker providing a benefit to the company. As time goes on I have become more highly skilled at running my branch but my pay does not reflect that. I am given praise in place of a raise. This is NOT a family business I am here to make money, that is why Fastenal is here and that is why I am incredibly insulted my time is worth less because I won't make myself a salary slave to your company.

As a final note, if your entire region is not even close to meeting goal, perhaps consider that not having adequate sales support and OSP's is maybe the reason your GM's cannot get out and sell and is the very reason you are FAILING to achieve your sales goals. You milk the bottom people on the rung for everything but won't throw them a tiny bone but this cripples your store management. An incredibly short-sighted and idiotic policy.

Overwork you

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Have a lot of customers to address everyday is what kept me up beat whilst working here. You need more customers to have larger numbers for your branch to then get more commissions.

Cons

They overwork you so much. Working atleast 7-5 if you are a manager. Cold calling is not the way to go at all. With starting salary of around 35k it's not worth the stress from the heckling for your dm

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!