Fastenal

Updated 20 November 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

A good company to work with.

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work is very much dependent on your team, for some it is good (like mine) and for some it is not that great.
    The company started a new center in India and initially it was not very stable, the roles were not defined properly, the vision was not clear and in short their were some problems and i guess that explains the couple of negative feedback on this page.
    1. Good opportunity to learn new technologies.
    2. Culture is good, well i guess they hired few good people in the beginning.
    3. A good place to do something new, you will be noticed if you come up with some innovative idea to improve business. ( I am not sure if you will be compensated well for that innovation, because i haven't done anything awesome yet :P )
    4. Good work life balance and a lot of flexibility about your work timings.
    5. A small but good pantry with cookies, fruits, bread and other refreshments.
    6. Recreation items like TT, dart and all available in playing area.

Cons

1. There are some policies which are not very clear ( i understand that this can be a very big problem for many)
    2. No cafeteria, you will have to arrange for your own lunch.
    3. Office building is pretty small, i think they should (and are planning) to move to a bigger building soon.
    4. A little lobbying in hiring and other processes.

1. Be clear and open with policies.
    2. Compensate well, it is very difficult for people to live in Bangalore and not try for switch :)
    3. It is just one year, so i think we should give some more time to the leadership to evolve.

Worst company to work with in India (Fastenal India Sourcing, IT & Procurement Pvt Ltd)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been working at Fastenal India full-time (more than four months). A flashing salary when you accept the offer. But everyone is scared of their tomorrow with company

Cons

You name about worst and you would find it here.

0) Its tough to survive here if you are logical person
    1) No work life balance though it has flexible work timings
    2) No HR in action at all. All for the sake of keeping and HR department they are there. Yeah they comes in action when they have to inform that you are fired
    3) Minimal Appraisal or no appraisal for you :)
    4) Lots of ambiguities in company and management policies. You can clearly make out that the company still separate Indian employees with US.
    5) You career might to come to an end with Fastenal with just a dislike of an Individual from US.
    6) Firing people at India center is decided in 5 mins. So, you reached office thinking about your work and you are not being allowed to enter into the office not even to collect your stuff.
    7) How many times you would see a firing in a span of one year or so working with any company. I have seen multiple occasions. And thats too people in group fired at a go.
    8) I have heard many people being fired because their salary was high. Just have a question to the company were they sleeping when they offered the employee initially. By the way I am not sure about this that after firing company never gives any reason.

Its a long list. Just a suggestion to any new joinee, If you know anyone who has worked or working with Fastenal , Do talk to them before making your decision to work with Fastenal or keep another offer in pipeline because you will truely realize the mistake within a week or two, so that you have a fallback option to correct the mistake

After all its a life time decision for anyone to decide to join a new company. Though its a 5 mins call for Fastenal to fire anyone doesnt matter how long that person is working with Fastenal

If you are working at Fastenal India your life is based on mercy of inefficient manager.

They work on a very clear cut agenda. HIRE and FIRE

They should immediately stop distinguishing between Indian employees and rest (US).
    Top management to stop firing otherwise they would survive in market for very long with good quality of people working with them.
    Recruit professionals who has some etiquettes otherwise this center looks like a family grown organization

Don't get deceived

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Anyone who had worked here for a few weeks wouldn't have Pro to mention here

Cons

It would be a never ending list. But few to mention so that fellow engineer may escape from hell
    1) Quick Hire and Quick Fire - they don't think before hiring and they give no reasons for firing
    2) No basic courtesy - management behavior is very volatile after hiring and you can sense the difference once you on-boarding is complete
    3) No goals - entire IT team works in an adhoc manner due to absence of leadership qualities
    4) No corporate culture - You are expected to take orders without any questions. If so you will be framed and screwed for lifetime
    5) No ethics - Dummy HR and no one to support employees in case of any grievances

Please think twice before you hire engineers and don't kill someones carrier & future due to lack of planning

Developer

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is no positives to be found at that wretched place.

Cons

Very problematic to work at that place. No peace of mind. No body has any sense off things going on. On source vs off source issue. Little mad VP and managers.

They hire and fire without any reason.

No minimum decency. Your are expected to take orders and you will not even know, why you are fired.

Neither you will learn anything from this company.

Somehow it feels good to be get fire by this company.

Make a informed decision before joining this place, if you have to join. Talk to more than couple of people who have worked or working before you join, if you must need to join.

Don't join if you value your career and expect people to treat you with self respect

Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No Pros for genuine professionals. People are not treated with even a basic courtesy and are considered as mere order takers with no questions or reasoning.

Cons

Surprised to see that I'm the first person to write a review. A bunch more got separated from this company before me.

Fastenal IT India is a new company in Bangalore which is operating for last 6+ months and fired more people than the number of months of its existence.

Its my fault to join this company as I was invited to the company with lot of expectations. But disappointed to see the real picture on joining the company. Its a very small office with handful of people and tend to get monitored including personal phone calls on mobile. People are treated as dummies and no respect. This is the first MNC that I have come through which has hire and fire policy for no reason. I'm one of the victims and the reason I was asked to leave is that I commute long distance between home and work. If you want to get yourself assessed within a week by managers, you can join this company.

I had travelled to Australia, US & UK while employed with my previous employers but have not seen a work place like this. I learn't that I was a backfill for a position which was left by one other employee within short span (less than two months) and he is happily enjoying the work now at Oracle. If I had this knowledge before joining I would have done more ground work before making this fateful decision of joining Fastenal IT India.

Even after reading this review you have thoughts of joining this company, please take time to visit the office and check with the existing employees there. My prayers are there for you!!

I honestly wouldn't recommend this company even for my enemy. Learn to treat people in the right way. Just because you employ it doesn't mean you can take employees for ride and demoralize them. Be reasonable and realistic.

Great opportunity if you don't get burned out working 50hrs/week

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Flexibility
    -Great training
    -lots of opportunity to promote
    Great opportunity for people with high scool education
    -anyone willing to learn, take direction and work hard will be successful under their model
    -great co-workers

Cons

-Low pay
    -50+ hour weeks are expected
    -Skeleton staff will burn you out
    -college education has no bearing on your pay.

Be more competitive in salary and commission.
    Improve employee retention the rapid turnover burns out GM's.

Great experience for industrial sales, constantly learning.

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast paced work environment, they promote from within, they are located all over the US and world so pretty easy to transfer to a new area should you desire. 3 weeks vacation your first full year

Cons

Sometimes the stress of sales can get to you. Work hours can seem sorta long sometimes.

Invest in advertising. For instance google Adwords so our name gets out there to anyone who does a search for any product that we might carry.

Tenured Previous Employee

Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I loved what I did, who I worked with, and the customers we serviced! Previous Management was like family who encouraged, supported, and worked with employees rather than sitting on a pedistal. $10.00 starting p/t hourly wage is customary, once tasks are learned; it can be a fun and easy environment. Benefits for full time employees are very good, especially considering the current Health Care situation!

Cons

Management needed organization, consistancy, management, and human relation skills. Position, Wages, Salary, and Commission are all based on numbers corporately established and may be embellished by the DM; although advancement is encouraged, sometimes the mental, physical, and emotional toll isnt worth it.

Unfortunately, my comments would fall upon deaf ears.

Great opportunity for advancement

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good work environment, great employees, decent benefits, no weekends

Cons

salary not great, lifting required

Overral solid internship experience

Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at Fastenal as an intern

Pros

- Provide you with the necessary training tools to understand the products they offer
    - Pathway for Sales or Management rolls

Cons

- Hours can be strenuous if you're a fulltime student
    - Can be very "by the book"

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)

+ Add Photo