Fastenal Reviews

Updated 14 October 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 45 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't get deceived

Current Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Anyone who had worked here for a few weeks wouldn't have Pro to mention here

Cons

It would be a never ending list. But few to mention so that fellow engineer may escape from hell
    1) Quick Hire and Quick Fire - they don't think before hiring and they give no reasons for firing
    2) No basic courtesy - management behavior is very volatile after hiring and you can sense the difference once you on-boarding is complete
    3) No goals - entire IT team works in an adhoc manner due to absence of leadership qualities
    4) No corporate culture - You are expected to take orders without any questions. If so you will be framed and screwed for lifetime
    5) No ethics - Dummy HR and no one to support employees in case of any grievances

Please think twice before you hire engineers and don't kill someones carrier & future due to lack of planning

Developer

Current Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is no positives to be found at that wretched place.

Cons

Very problematic to work at that place. No peace of mind. No body has any sense off things going on. On source vs off source issue. Little mad VP and managers.

They hire and fire without any reason.

No minimum decency. Your are expected to take orders and you will not even know, why you are fired.

Neither you will learn anything from this company.

Somehow it feels good to be get fire by this company.

Make a informed decision before joining this place, if you have to join. Talk to more than couple of people who have worked or working before you join, if you must need to join.

Don't join if you value your career and expect people to treat you with self respect

Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No Pros for genuine professionals. People are not treated with even a basic courtesy and are considered as mere order takers with no questions or reasoning.

Cons

Surprised to see that I'm the first person to write a review. A bunch more got separated from this company before me.

Fastenal IT India is a new company in Bangalore which is operating for last 6+ months and fired more people than the number of months of its existence.

Its my fault to join this company as I was invited to the company with lot of expectations. But disappointed to see the real picture on joining the company. Its a very small office with handful of people and tend to get monitored including personal phone calls on mobile. People are treated as dummies and no respect. This is the first MNC that I have come through which has hire and fire policy for no reason. I'm one of the victims and the reason I was asked to leave is that I commute long distance between home and work. If you want to get yourself assessed within a week by managers, you can join this company.

I had travelled to Australia, US & UK while employed with my previous employers but have not seen a work place like this. I learn't that I was a backfill for a position which was left by one other employee within short span (less than two months) and he is happily enjoying the work now at Oracle. If I had this knowledge before joining I would have done more ground work before making this fateful decision of joining Fastenal IT India.

Even after reading this review you have thoughts of joining this company, please take time to visit the office and check with the existing employees there. My prayers are there for you!!

I honestly wouldn't recommend this company even for my enemy. Learn to treat people in the right way. Just because you employ it doesn't mean you can take employees for ride and demoralize them. Be reasonable and realistic.

General Manager

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At the retail front, Fastenal allows new employees to establish work experience in industrial sales while interacting with various clientele, that include but not limited to OEM and tier one suppliers. Advancements are promoted from within. This is an ideal fit for individuals looking for experience in the related field. There are basically three positions at the store level. Inside Sales, Outside Sales, and General Manager. If income is what motivates you then the General Manager role would be the appealing position; or ultimately District Manager. Personal opinion, out of the three positions General Manager is the only career position. General Managers make a salary range between 30-35,000 plus commission. Annual compensation Avg is 50,000. with the ability to make much more.

Cons

As a career you want to make it to a General Manager. Once in this position you will be faced with the challenge of high employee turn over. Another issue to mention is pricing and ultimately margin on product. National Accounts play a vital role in companies success. On a store level, a well balanced client portfolio will help establish a well rounded book of business; in turn will help your commission based compensation.

Change pay structure for non management personnel to reduce high employee turn over. Increase inside sale employees. Floating management to uniform districts, and overall success.

It was actually great. Shot up the ladder fast!

Current Employee - Government Sales Specialist in Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Government Sales Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance. Opportunity to travel. Opportunity to work anywhere in the US. OK pay initially for a single person

Cons

Corporate structure is so far removed from us that we are just an employee number. Break a corporate rule and you will be fired. Pay is great for us in specialist roles and upper management roles but below that the pay is marginal for single men and women. Part time pay is...well..part time pay.

Get to know us in your specialist roles. We are just as valuable as your low level VA personnel. I really loved my job. Did a good job and if you knew me I would still be there. Violation of a company policy is not a good reason to be fired in every case. I sacrificed a great deal of time from my family in order to move the sales needle for you. Being fired with a piece of paper from the fax machine made me feel less than human. Although I'm clearly unhappy about my firing. I only wish continued success to my old Government team. AL, KF, JS & SD Gulf Coast District.

An alright place to work

Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Hayward, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Manager in Hayward, CA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security for the most part is there, so long as you do your job. No shortage of work and you're free to make your own decisions throughout the day.

Cons

Pay is terrible, but consistent. Bonuses are a joke unless you're at least a general manager. Most of the turnover with this company is based entirely on finding a higher paying job elsewhere. Our customers always say they see a new face every X amount of months. Your experience at a fastenal branch will depend entirely on who your GM and other staff are.

I lucked out with a good GM and DM, so I really can't complain.

very good

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good team, great experience, flexible schedule, decentralized management, I have a very good time working there, and there are great possibilities of advancing in company

Cons

I have to develop new customer and try to make them appreciate fastenal, I hae to find ways to increase customer service

Great place to start

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Grinnell, WA (US)
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Grinnell, WA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of flexibility in this job

Cons

Informal customers who don't know the real terms

Better training

Great Experience

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Fastenal full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to control how fast you move up within the company. Going on sales calls for a new employee is challenging but in the end it can be really rewarding. Took me just over a year of being a salesperson fresh out of college, to being a GM in a new store.

Cons

Long hours. If you want to succeed you have to put in more time then the next guy/gal. Pay can also be an issue, but with commission it offsets that. It is a sales driven job, so you may feel that you're never doing a good job but thats because you always need to keep growing.

Keep the values of the company in the forefront of how you go about your daily business. Will lead to continuous success.

Good general training, crap management

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was very comprehensive and you will learn everything there is to know about fasteners and industrial products. The company values are outstanding and the corporate culture is great.

Cons

Stores are poorly ran and major concerns are dismissed. Score cards are easily manipulated to make stores look like they perform better than they really do.

Revise your scorecard approach, and really listen to your employees when they tell you their concerns.

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)

+ Add Photo