Fastenal Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 39 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 43 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't join if you value your career and expect people to treat you with self respect

Former Employee - Developer  in  Bangalore
    Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Fastenal full-time for less than a year

Pros

No Pros for genuine professionals. People are not treated with even a basic courtesy and are considered as mere order takers with no questions or reasoning.

Cons

Surprised to see that I'm the first person to write a review. A bunch more got separated from this company before me.

Fastenal IT India is a new company in Bangalore which is operating for last 6+ months and fired more people than the number of months of its existence.

Its my fault to join this company as I was invited to the company with lot of expectations. But disappointed to see the real picture on joining the company. Its a very small office with handful of people and tend to get monitored including personal phone calls on mobile. People are treated as dummies and no respect. This is the first MNC that I have come through which has hire and fire policy for no reason. I'm one of the victims and the reason I was asked to leave is that I commute long distance between home and work. If you want to get yourself assessed within a week by managers, you can join this company.

I had travelled to Australia, US & UK while employed with my previous employers but have not seen a work place like this. I learn't that I was a backfill for a position which was left by one other employee within short span (less than two months) and he is happily enjoying the work now at Oracle. If I had this knowledge before joining I would have done more ground work before making this fateful decision of joining Fastenal IT India.

Even after reading this review you have thoughts of joining this company, please take time to visit the office and check with the existing employees there. My prayers are there for you!!

I honestly wouldn't recommend this company even for my enemy. Learn to treat people in the right way. Just because you employ it doesn't mean you can take employees for ride and demoralize them. Be reasonable and realistic.

No solid direction, district manager spent more time at home during work hours

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Great people/customers, weekends off, long hours but goes by quickly , I enjoy working at Fastenal

Cons

Long hours little , very little support, at least in the district I work in, employees are wasting too much time looking to see if the district manager is at home as opposed to helping branches, seeing customers

Regional VP needs to develop a strict accountability program for district managers, needs to show they are assisting their employees

Part Time

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay for a college student, flexible, no weekends, all holidays off, great work experience

Cons

28 hour work restriction, only way to move up is to move, horrible staffing

Staff the stores as needed there are always either too many or not enough people in the store there is no in between. Reward the people who make you money, that is not always the GM, OSP's are horribly paid for the amount of work they do and there are too many restrictions and factors that go into getting a bonus. Management is to worried about getting a high margin rather than helping the customers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This a was a co-op position.

I have been working at Fastenal full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

very old school
    very cheap

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Saint George, UT (US)
    Former Employee - General Manager in Saint George, UT (US)

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great product to sell, Accounts were fun and I developed some great professional contacts

Cons

In my area the districts and regions changed about once a year, making it impossible to get any upper management support.

The base pay was low

A "Seasoned" Fastenal Review

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

The 5 day work week is nice. The work is not difficult. They are financially solid, so there are no worries about vendors not accepting orders or payroll issues. Great way to build contacts in many different fields.

Cons

Just like any company, it comes down management. If you have the right manager(s), its much better. Pricing can be high on some items making it more difficult to sell those products. 50 hour weeks and low pay rates make it difficult to retain good employees.

Improve distribution. Waiting for 1 to 2 weeks for product is unacceptable. Competitors are delivering within a couple of days.

Decent

Former Employee - Sales Support  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers, Discounts, Company trucks, off weekends, flexibility

Cons

Hours, pay, benefits, sone of the locations, under staffed, slow at times

Quit nickel and diming your part timers. Run more employees at each branch!

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

i like the dress code it is very professional and makes me feel like a grown adult in real life when im there with their employees

Cons

i dont really have any off the top of my head they were nice people and i think that i would do well at the job there

Good

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES  in  Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gaining a lot of experience

Cons

Working a lot of hours for little pay

Very rewarding, great place to get experience during school

Current Employee - Sales Support  in  Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time for more than a year

Pros

People are very friendly, and eager to help when you are stuck. It is always about teamwork for Fastenal.

Cons

Sometimes, when a branch is understaffed, it can be very overwhelming

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!