Fastenal Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
2.9

Fastenal President, CEO, and Director Will Oberton
Will Oberton

Pros
  • Part time work is great for a high school student of a full time college student (in 48 reviews)

• It was a good place to learn and get promoted (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Starting at part time for minimum wage with a four year degree is ridiculous (in 48 reviews)

• Upper management wants a lot from you and doesn't give much to any in return (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company to work with in India (Fastenal India Sourcing, IT & Procurement Pvt Ltd)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have been working at Fastenal India full-time (more than four months). A flashing salary when you accept the offer. But everyone is scared of their tomorrow with company

Cons

You name about worst and you would find it here.

0) Its tough to survive here if you are logical person
    1) No work life balance though it has flexible work timings
    2) No HR in action at all. All for the sake of keeping and HR department they are there. Yeah they comes in action when they have to inform that you are fired
    3) Minimal Appraisal or no appraisal for you :)
    4) Lots of ambiguities in company and management policies. You can clearly make out that the company still separate Indian employees with US.
    5) You career might to come to an end with Fastenal with just a dislike of an Individual from US.
    6) Firing people at India center is decided in 5 mins. So, you reached office thinking about your work and you are not being allowed to enter into the office not even to collect your stuff.
    7) How many times you would see a firing in a span of one year or so working with any company. I have seen multiple occasions. And thats too people in group fired at a go.
    8) I have heard many people being fired because their salary was high. Just have a question to the company were they sleeping when they offered the employee initially. By the way I am not sure about this that after firing company never gives any reason.

Its a long list. Just a suggestion to any new joinee, If you know anyone who has worked or working with Fastenal , Do talk to them before making your decision to work with Fastenal or keep another offer in pipeline because you will truely realize the mistake within a week or two, so that you have a fallback option to correct the mistake

After all its a life time decision for anyone to decide to join a new company. Though its a 5 mins call for Fastenal to fire anyone doesnt matter how long that person is working with Fastenal

If you are working at Fastenal India your life is based on mercy of inefficient manager.

They work on a very clear cut agenda. HIRE and FIRE

They should immediately stop distinguishing between Indian employees and rest (US).
    Top management to stop firing otherwise they would survive in market for very long with good quality of people working with them.
    Recruit professionals who has some etiquettes otherwise this center looks like a family grown organization

Don't get deceived

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Anyone who had worked here for a few weeks wouldn't have Pro to mention here

Cons

It would be a never ending list. But few to mention so that fellow engineer may escape from hell
    1) Quick Hire and Quick Fire - they don't think before hiring and they give no reasons for firing
    2) No basic courtesy - management behavior is very volatile after hiring and you can sense the difference once you on-boarding is complete
    3) No goals - entire IT team works in an adhoc manner due to absence of leadership qualities
    4) No corporate culture - You are expected to take orders without any questions. If so you will be framed and screwed for lifetime
    5) No ethics - Dummy HR and no one to support employees in case of any grievances

Please think twice before you hire engineers and don't kill someones carrier & future due to lack of planning

Developer

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is no positives to be found at that wretched place.

Cons

Very problematic to work at that place. No peace of mind. No body has any sense off things going on. On source vs off source issue. Little mad VP and managers.

They hire and fire without any reason.

No minimum decency. Your are expected to take orders and you will not even know, why you are fired.

Neither you will learn anything from this company.

Somehow it feels good to be get fire by this company.

Make a informed decision before joining this place, if you have to join. Talk to more than couple of people who have worked or working before you join, if you must need to join.

Don't join if you value your career and expect people to treat you with self respect

Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore
    Former Employee - Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Fastenal full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No Pros for genuine professionals. People are not treated with even a basic courtesy and are considered as mere order takers with no questions or reasoning.

Cons

Surprised to see that I'm the first person to write a review. A bunch more got separated from this company before me.

Fastenal IT India is a new company in Bangalore which is operating for last 6+ months and fired more people than the number of months of its existence.

Its my fault to join this company as I was invited to the company with lot of expectations. But disappointed to see the real picture on joining the company. Its a very small office with handful of people and tend to get monitored including personal phone calls on mobile. People are treated as dummies and no respect. This is the first MNC that I have come through which has hire and fire policy for no reason. I'm one of the victims and the reason I was asked to leave is that I commute long distance between home and work. If you want to get yourself assessed within a week by managers, you can join this company.

I had travelled to Australia, US & UK while employed with my previous employers but have not seen a work place like this. I learn't that I was a backfill for a position which was left by one other employee within short span (less than two months) and he is happily enjoying the work now at Oracle. If I had this knowledge before joining I would have done more ground work before making this fateful decision of joining Fastenal IT India.

Even after reading this review you have thoughts of joining this company, please take time to visit the office and check with the existing employees there. My prayers are there for you!!

I honestly wouldn't recommend this company even for my enemy. Learn to treat people in the right way. Just because you employ it doesn't mean you can take employees for ride and demoralize them. Be reasonable and realistic.

Wear 10 different hats at the same tip as General Manager

I worked at Fastenal

Pros

Work 60+ hours and devote your every minute to be BLUE for Fastenal, you will get paid!

Cons

It's very political. Stressful, short handed with having a knowledgable staff that are professional, lots of baby sitting, a turn and burn atmosphere that customers get tired of.

Learn to pay for talent, hire real sales professionals, reward the people that take the job serious as a career, and acknowledge the ones that make the company!

Sales Support/Sales Trainee

Former Employee - Sales Support/Sales Trainee
    Former Employee - Sales Support/Sales Trainee

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, Competitive Pay, Team oriented atmosphere. Communication flowed freely from part time employees up through district managers.

Cons

There seemed to be constant reshuffling of employees within the district. All employees outside of branch managers were subject to being moved to a different branch to accommodate for changing needs. It was not mandatory, but made to feel "necessary" for you development within the company.

Pretty good company

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Good experience for a first job

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Decent company to work for.

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, GA (US)
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Dallas, GA (US)

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Advancement availability due to high turnover
    Good part-time pay
    Low to medium stress work environment
    Good training

Cons

Pay not adequate
    50 hour standard workweek
    Very few holidays give days off
    Advancement difficulties spending on management
    Never show appreciation or gratitude, always asking why more wasn't done
    Education not valued

Value workers that have education and potential to lead in the company
    Pay better!
    ROI keeps DM's from paying adequately in some districts

This company is good to work for if you're going into an engineering field later on.

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support in Louisville, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support in Louisville, KY (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most engineering companies buy from Fastenal and know that you will have more knowledge on fasteners and other things than other candidates. It also can help you build relationships with engineers if you're working while in school.

Cons

Management is usually people with little or no college education. The penny pushing culture of the company can be very annoying, especially when it results in no pay raises for part-time employees.

You must spend money to make money

Sales associate

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Support in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility for school, opportunity for advancement, sales training

Cons

Over expectations for tasks of work, Low income, lack of resources

Hire more quality personel

Fastenal Photos

Outside a typical Fastenal store, 1400 East Carroll Street, Macomb, IL (Photo attributed to IlliniGradResearch - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0)

+ Add Photo