Federal Reserve Board

Updated 6 August 2014
Updated 6 August 2014

3.9

Janet L. Yellen

Pros
  • Great learning opportunities; decent work/life balance; excellent compensation and benefits package (in 12 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn in depth information about monetary policy (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Complete disregard for the private sector (in 6 reviews)

• There is an abundance of red tape (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good pre-doctoral experience

Pros

Relaxed, good colleagues, exposure to exclusive datasets

Cons

Maybe too much freedom for some overachievers. Also, no good schools to use academic assistance package near the vincinity

As a Web Development Intern, I enjoyed being in DC and Pay was Excellent

Former Employee - Web Development Intern  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Web Development Intern in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

Good people, nice environment, awesome buildings and perks that come with being a Board employee. Benefits are also good for employees. Work can get boring but that's just work. When I received my paycheck, it all made sense. Most people who work there are friendly but there is also some politics involved. Duh! I got to meet and take a pic with Ben Bernanke and Janet Yellen. So that was a great experience.

Cons

I was given a tedious project from which I did not learn much. Seemed like wax on wax off type of job as an intern but I did my time and earned what I deserved. Actually they overpaid me... how dumb is that, being the Fed. I received an extra paycheck and they've been bugging me about it since.

Please don't be so uptight. Not my manager, but some other interns I observed.

Great place to learn!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

The people you come in contact with are generally quite well educated and established in the field.
    Almost everyone is genuinely dedicated to the work.
    Work/home balance is quite good, especially as an intern.
    The programs the Fed offers to interns to learn about different departments within the organization are stellar.

Cons

You will run into a bit bureaucratic red tape but it is far worse in other 'true' Government Departments

Look to hire a younger workforce, you may be missing out on some business process innovation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Politics

Current Employee - Administration
    Current Employee - Administration

Pros

Great place for benefits and holidays. Teleworking is also available.

Cons

Too much politics. The hard workers keep working harder and the slackers never get any work because they need it completed and they know who will get the job completed and who will not!!

Point out the slackers and make them work or let them go!!

Great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

Great work/life balance, awesome benefits, great colleagues, little office drama/politics (in my section), great technical training, interesting research. This is an absolutely great place to work. 9-5 most of the time. Everyone is very bright and dedicated. Aside from "production" duties, you have autonomy to seek out research projects with different Economists. Management and Economists are very interested in your career development.

Cons

Charting work in S-plus for RAs can be a burden, as Economists often don't know what's entailed to complete their requests (during crunch times).

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

Work / life balance can be very good. Benefits are incredible.

Cons

After working here for a few years, exciting developmental opportunities are running out. However, the Board does offer money for you to take classes.

Not for a full career

Current Employee - Technology Analyst  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Technology Analyst in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

The benefits are excellent at the Fed.

Cons

There is an abundance of red tape.

stop signing autographs, swallow your pride and know you're not always right.

Run, dont walk!

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Richmond, VA (US)

Pros

The benefits. Other than that, I have nothing to offer.

Cons

When I started at the FRB, it was a wonderful place to work but it has continously gone down hill. The mid level and senior level department managers are not qualified to hold their positions. Perhaps it was unique ot my department but it is a good back to get stabbed in the back. The Fed is so out of touch with the real world.

Take a hard look at your lower level management staff and consider making some changes. They are under qualified for the positions they hold. Set up a genuine grievance committee like the Fed of yester years. Human Resources does not listen and take complaints seriously.

Research Assistant- Research & Statistics Division

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

Great experience, great career development, and great if you want to get into a good Econ PhD program.

Cons

The work load varies, so sometimes you are super busy, others you are kind of looking for things to do.

Your Results May vary

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Washington, DC (US)

Pros

Working with incredibly smart people on interesting and important topics. The amount of training and professional development is immense in terms of acquiring new skills (say, statistical programming) and knowledge (about the part of the economy or markets your section covers). Relatively efficient for a bureaucracy.

Cons

Pay is way below other options, even with in the federal reserve system. There is a severe lack of intermediate positions to be promoted into. Do your 2 or 3 years and move on unless you have a phd. Some of the technology used can be a bit out dated.

There need to be more positions for intermediate for research assistants to be promoted into that is more akin to a Junior Economist rather than a Financial Analyst. It makes no sense to train students for 2 or 3 years and essentially give them the boot.

Worked for Federal Reserve Board? Contribute to the Community!