Ferrellgas Partners

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Ferrellgas Partners CEO Stephen L. Wambold

Stephen L. Wambold

Great experience!

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI was able to become a leader by learning from all types of leaders while there.

ConsNo cons, everything was perfect.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the great job you are doing!

District Manager

District Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Safety Program / Good Pay / Quality Equipment / Ability to make a fair amount of significant decisions for your own operation.

ConsPricing killed competitiveness in my area. Customer's failure to plan often becomes an "emergency" for the driver or district manager on call.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive customers a real value that they can see to justify the often higher prices.

A better-than-average driving job with many ups and downs

Bulk Driver (Current Employee)
Melrose Park, IL (US)

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDeliveries have a large window, so there isn't the pressure to arrive at a customer's location at a specific time. You can deliver at your own pace, as long as it's reasonably productive. It isn't back breaking labor, but enough to keep you in shape.

ConsThere's a higher than average turnover rate, which can make your work schedule unexpectedly long. Regardless, the winter seasons have always demanded long hours: if you like to work 40 hours a week or predictable, consistent hours, this job can be extremely frustrating for you. Vehicle breakdowns add to your hours, as they keep trucks long after they have become unreliable. They promised tuition reimbursement, but, even though I have filled out all of the paperwork every semester, they've never made good on this promise. They want you to deliver stops in the order determined by their new automated computer system, but the stop order doesn't always make sense, as the routing doesn't take into account truck route restrictions, railroads, etc. and the fact the routing will bring you to stops at times that may be bad for the customer (before or after hours, a time where the yard is too busy, etc). Driver suggestions are ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrivers shouldn't be forced to work excessive overtime for month after month. Drivers that leave for work before their children wake up should be able to get home before they go to sleep. Driver input for routing should be given due respect and not ignored.

Nice people with a lot of company politics

CSS (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay was good, fellow employees and drivers were nice - benefits were good if you've been there long enough, employee ESOP

ConsManagement changed things every other week or so - mostly stemming from corporate - you have to roll with the punches or shut up if you don't like it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry putting yourself in our shoes, deal with the customers one on one - have answers available or at least try to get one if you don't have it, Everyone should work as a team, that was not done at times.

Free to think out of the box. Supported me 100% with my marketing plans.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Mankato, MN (US)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent training, I can't find any fault.

ConsCan't, they were fair to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales training needs help. Don't assume all sales people know how to present a product,etc.

Great company; HORRIBLE management!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits; days off were pleasant when you knew what your schedule was.

ConsPay VERY sub-par for how hard you work. You will need back and shoulder surgery if you make it 2 years. It doesn't matter how hard you work, you are only a number. If you have a voice or concerns, leave your voice at home. You will be fired if you question safety concerns. Zero chance of advancement. Two-faced managers who are belittling men in a text message, but your best friend to your face. DO NOT work here if you enjoy your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your drivers and little people. Get back to the company that cares about your customers and employee. Remember that "Money is the root of all evil."

Loved the customers, loved the coworkers, wouldn't spit on management if they were ablaze.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSupportive co workers. You develop one on one relationships with your customers

ConsBoss was dishonest. Made it sound like other employees were complaining in order to make you do more than you were legally allowed to do. Constant demand for 60 hours of work to be done in 40 hours. Better not get overtime, but you'd better finish it all... oh, here's another 5 stops to fit in the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to your employees, they do talk to each other

Enlightening but yet what an experience.

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)
Santa Fe, NM (US)

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 8 years

Pros401k investment opportunity, Employee stock, medical insurance coverage for full time employees, Propane & appliance discounts, payed uniform allotment of $125.00 annually and depending on how the company is doing that year a free turkey & ham for Thanksgiving & Christmas.

ConsBeing monitored digitaly on phone call times and standby times. CSS 's are given an estimate of 4 minutes per call & are monitored constantly on case loads, Web activity is logged in the background as any other large company.
CSS pay is inconsistent from service center to service center with some well experienced CSS' s being there for several plus years making around $11.00 an hour compared to an alternate location 60 miles away paying new hires almost $14 plus an hour. Company wide there was finally a 3% raise given after 5 plus years this does not quite make up for the increase of cost of living.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing... Offer better incentives to bring up productivity! Remember you can always catch me Flys with honey then vinegar.

The company was too focused on micro-management top to bottom

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWealth of information available through the company intranet

ConsGenerally low pay with excessive expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementHire good people and allow them to perform

Family Feel with Great Benefits

I have been working at Ferrellgas Partners full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI've been with Ferrellgas for over 12 years and I can honestly say I look forward to going to work every day. Although this is a large company with locations nationwide our local office feels like a family and that is how the folks at the corporate office have always treated me. I like the "open door" policy that our CEO has and anytime I've ever emailed him I've always gotten a speedy answer. A couple of times over the years the answer came via a personal phone call! It feels good to work for a company that really cares about the employees and their families. The ESOP is one of my favorite things at the company. I didn't think much about it when I started working here, but now I really look forward to the letters that come during the year. Hard to believe I've got that much saved up for retirement without putting in a dime of my own money!

ConsAlways tough working outside in the winter and being on call isn't my favorite thing, but I understand that we are just taking care of our customers. I've eaten my share of cookies from grateful customers during the holiday season!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the employees. No one knows our customers better.

Worked for Ferrellgas Partners? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ferrellgas Partners reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ferrellgas Partners CEO Stephen L. Wambold. All 38 reviews are posted anonymously by Ferrellgas Partners employees.