Ferris State University

David L. Eisler

Faculty

Faculty (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ferris State University full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFocused engineering, technology curriculums. Technology faculty have significant industrial experience and not just academic experience. Teaching focus to pass on the profession. Big Rapids is a good rural community vs congested metro life.

ConsFocused engineering, technology curriculums tend to make people overly protective of their "turf". Too myopic sometimes. Lately, administration is changing university focus in a direction away from a career focus and more to political correctness, liberal arts, and general education.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdministration is changing university focus in a direction away from a career focus and more to political correctness, liberal arts, and general education.

Everyone is very Expendable

Graduate Admissions Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferris State University part-time for more than a year

ProsI worked in an administrative support role so it was fairly easy work. Most of the people I worked with were nice and easy to get along with.

ConsOffice Politics, the powers that be like to treat students poorly and than ask them for donations as soon as they graduate. Good luck with that.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf management wants to increase donations from alumni they should reevaluate how they treat students while they are there.

Overall, it was a job that paid well with flexible scheduling

Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ferris State University part-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay rate, flexible scheduling, and creative freedom

ConsA decentralized environment where requests may take a while to be fulfilled

Good employer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferris State University part-time for more than a year

ProsVery easy going workplace, good bosses.

ConsHard to get ft work. When the school is on break, you are out of work and that gets exspensive.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great place to work

I have been working at Ferris State University full-time

Pros- Establish close relationships
-Higher management treat their employees with respect
-Dining offers gourmet food at the Rock

Cons-Location, it's in the middle of no where

Campus

DSA (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferris State University part-time for more than a year

ProsWork study is guaranteed pay and experience and you work with fellow peers.

ConsNot always the most interesting jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to treat the students with respect. They are working for you by choice.

Not the ideal place to work, even for a university cafeteria.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferris State University part-time

ProsFlexible work hours, work around school schedule. Close to campus, walking distance from many of the dorms. Extremely easy to get in, no interview, just have to fill out some paperwork.

ConsOften drama because most employees are college students. Management is not very helpful and often in a bad mood, tend to play favorites and sometimes rude to the student employees. Boring and often tedious work. No room for advancement, no raises, pay is not what it should be for the workload. Minimum wage unless you are a student supervisor. Often stressful. Strict rule for a cafeteria, must wear black shirt underneath work coat, no painted nails, no facial piercings, only two piercings allowed on ears, no earrings larger than a dime. Even if you are not working with customers. Have to wear this hideous black hat with flames that tends to get in the way. Their motto: "Breaks are a privilege." Yes, you may work 6 hours and not get a break. Occasionally have screw-ups when it comes to switching hours with other students. Even if someone signs off that they are taking your shift it's possible you'll still get blamed if they don't show up. They're organization needs work, too. They still called me for a week after I quit asking why I wasn't at work. You think they'd write it down somewhere that I no longer worked there.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less strict, it's a college cafeteria. Most of the people who see the workers are other college students. Also, treat all employees fairly, no favorites, and maybe act like you actually like being at work.

Overall - good place to work

Professor (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferris State University full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFor a university - leadership pretty accessible. Friendly and helpful staff and faculty. Small town feel - many people have been there ten years or more. Not overly bureaucratic. Room for self initiative. A lot of really good "teachers".

ConsLots of interim management. A bit adversarial in union negotiations. On the other hand - union was unnecessarily combative.

President made a lot of noise when he came in about being real collaborative and seeking the voice of staff and faculty. Mostly smoke and mirrors - sought the advice, but ignored it as best i can tell.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeans have got to be held more accountable and more of an advocate for their staff and faculty. A bit of the King of the Silo effect.

Decent places to work for while attending college.

I have been working at Ferris State University

ProsThey are always very good about working around your classes and schedule. In most cases they don't mind if you need to call in.

ConsThere is very little room to grow. In most cases the jobs are paying minimum wage and offer small raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I had to offer Ferris advice. It would be to pay closer attention to how much work the student employees do.

Something to give me extra spending money.

Student Computer Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Ferris State University

ProsThey put school first in most instances and give you time for homework and classes. Also, conveniently located between classes.

ConsTreated like a student at the job. Don't feel respected, nor do you feel like the supervisors or managers deserve respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt'd be nice to treat student employees more fairly. Too much favoritism between supervisors and managers to really get any work done.

Worked for Ferris State University? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ferris State University reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ferris State University CEO David L. Eisler. All 13 reviews are posted anonymously by Ferris State University employees.