Fifth Third

Fifth Third Reviews in Cincinnati, OH

Updated 20 November 2014
Updated 20 November 2014
3.2

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat
Kevin T. Kabat

Pros
  • Work-life balance is easily attained when working at Fifth Third Bank (in 21 reviews)

• Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand things that happen within the branch (in 31 reviews)

• Sales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

144 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Horrible Experience

Former Employee - Government Post Closing Specialist in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Government Post Closing Specialist in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Free parking. I experience no other pros.

Cons

Untrained managers, unorganized process, poor employee relations and no value of employees.

Train team leaders better and treat employees like people and not machines.

It's changing but could be better

Current Employee - Human Resources in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salaries are competitive and the benefits are really good. I enjoy being able to purchase extra vacation time and the benefits are right on par for a company this size.

Cons

Always understaffed and behind on technology. While I'm able to purchase extra vacation, I'm afraid that I will lose it due to the amount of work and demands of the job.

I understand keeping head count down but overworking people with outdated technology makes it a challenge to want to stay here for a career. Definitely a stepping stone kind of workplace.

Working Conditions

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pros to working here are that they have a banking center on site, plenty of banking amenities for employees, and a nice cafeteria.

Cons

When you are hired on, they offer training but instead of giving you two weeks as specified, its more like a three day intensive and then you are thrown to the wolves (and the wolves happen to be your team). Managers and teammates alike do not want to help you. At times when you are called in for supervisory review, you are told that you are doing well, only to be called into manager review later to be told that you are not doing well at all. This shows a lack of communication between coworkers, supervisors, and managers.

My advice to management would be to communicate with supervisors and team members regularly. Secondly, I would advise that there be a two week training for the job position instead of the three day intensive, because in the end the training that you do get is only to tell you about Fifth Third Bank and how to use the computer system, but nothing about your specific job if at all. New hires from corporate to groundskeepers should not be in the same training.

It is a great company to help expand your career!

Current Employee - Disputes Servicing Specialist I in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Disputes Servicing Specialist I in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay. Team treats you like family. And wonderful benefits.

Cons

Training is quick. You tend to learn alot while on the job.

More training sessions over time.

Working for the Curious Bank.

Current Employee - Customer Service Professional II in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Professional II in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company is one of the more generous companies within the banking industry. It is also a growing bank based out of Cincinnati. Working in customer service you are able to speak to customers and help customers which is rewarding and makes your feel good. That is something I do enjoy. The benefits are good and the company as a whole does seem to mean well and care for their employees. I just feel like us in the contact center are out of touch almost.

Cons

Without education you will not make it far within the company execept for the entry-level positions that even a monkey could do. Working as a customer service professional, I am the person that you call to scream at when something has gone awry with your account. The position is very mundane and repetative and you take abuse from abusive customers. Working for this company seems to be great, when you are not on the phones. People in other departments seem to be very happy. And I'm sure get paid a lot more. The culture is a little stiff but not too bad. I just feel like us in the contact center are out of touch almost. For example, joining clubs and organizations within the company is almost impossible since we have to be on the phones at all times. I want to join extra curricular groups, I want to attend meetings-but the phone business need always comes first.
    You can earn bonues based off of your statistics for the month. They want your phone called to be short but yet want you to provide quality service? Sometimes you just cannot do both. You are told when you can go to break, even going to the rest room out of your designated break time can count against you. The position is not hard, just mundane. And I sometimes feel no bigger than a pawn-a broke pawn. While my CEO probably lives in a mansion or two or three.

The higher up the management is, the less I know about them nor do we see or know about them. Our direct supervisors usually work closely with us as do their bosses-but not much higher than that. I just find it insane to pay one individual so much money, but pay the entry level such a drasticly lower amount. I thought we were all a team, arent we all important? Why should in any company, one person make 9.00 per hour and another make 2 million dollars a year? But yet, we are supposed to be "One Bank".

Beware what division you're working in for IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time

Pros

Pay is decent, working in a revitalized downtown is nice, especially in the summertime. Flexibility with work schedules.

Cons

Three items. First, IT departments that are support in nature (infrastructure, database, reporting, etc) are ridiculously understaffed. Secondly, advancement is directly tied to what division you're working in. Work for the wrong division (like support IT departments listed above), and you can kiss any thoughts of advancement goodbye. Thirdly, the politics. Good Lord Almighty, the politics.

1. Care about retaining and advancing the careers of your IT staff. 2. A positive corporate IT culture is driven from the top down, NOT the bottom up.

Great experience for an intern.

Former Employee - Intern in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership roles, good networking experience, nice resume builder.

Cons

Lack of communication on what was expected.

Have more opportunities for interns to mingle with other leadership programs within the bank.

On going pursuit to acquire and retain the best possible employees for the least possible money.

Current Employee - Direct Mortgage Loan Officer in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Direct Mortgage Loan Officer in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a friendly tight community with room for advancement. Like the Mortgage industry anywhere, there is minimal training or leadership. The brand name brings in allot of business and there are allot of repeat customers.

Cons

The technology is decade old patchwork, the company is always looking for a way to trim income and more and more of the internal bank jobs are performed in India by off shore partners. If your not management your disposable and they are looking for a way to replace you with some one off shore. Its a commission job so vacations and time off are at your own expense. When the economy went flat they removed a whole wrung of employee and expect every one else to pick up the slack. There is no real accountability because no one in management wants it.

Give your front line people the tools and support to take care of your customers, put the customers ahead of the process. Pay a living wage to employee's in this country that can also be customers.

Fair Workplace

Current Employee - Capital Markets Analyst in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Capital Markets Analyst in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Given opportunity to work independently and grow within curent department.

Cons

Somtimes there are long hours during SD project

Great company!

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hard working people, great flexibility in certain positions. Good environment, enjoyable work. Felt committed to the job and serving the customers.

Cons

Staff was lean, one person does work that should be divided by many. Industry changes constantly which can be unsettling.

Make employees feel secure and acknowledge the hard work they do