Fifth Third
www.53.com Cincinnati, OH 5000+ Employees

Fifth Third Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Fifth Third President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Fifth Third Bank Kevin T. Kabat

Kevin T. Kabat

Pros:
  • "They treat their employees terrible and have no regards for work life balance"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Worked with some awesome people; good benefits in line with what others offer"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "New upper management in the Chicago area have a personal agenda"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Sales goals especially from office in rural areas are unrealistic"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Several opportunities for growth within the organization

I have been working at Fifth Third

Prosincentives for performance, good benefits, great partnerships with other lines of business, newer senior management is focusing coaching and not product pushing

Conseach branch varies depending on location and line of business partners, some managers still micro manage

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue

My experience overall was excellent

I worked at Fifth Third

Prosthe benefit package was good and they offered tuition reimbursement

ConsIt was a large bank with tough competition.

No job is perfect, but this one did have more pros than cons.

I worked at Fifth Third full-time for more than a year

ProsWorked at Madisonville location. Great benefits and the opportunity to advance within the company is very positive. Overall the atmosphere is supportive. They handled the layoffs (and continue to layoff) pretty well in who to let go and when. I was a casualty (I'm not bitter about it as I made it through countless rounds of lay offs) but they (HR/ER) still seem to care about you and help you through the exiting process.

ConsMy original manager was laid off whom I had a great rapport with, the new (new to the position, not new to the company) manager is very unperson-able, hard to talk to, very standoffish although very smart and gets the job done. Sometimes to advance into another position is more a political thing or popularity contest. The opportunity to get a bonus is good but to achieve it is hard as you are sometimes penalized for an "error" that is not yours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more personable, open up with your employees as you intimidate most which causes them not feeling comfortable coming to you to talk to you about anything. This is something that not only I experienced but others too that have mentioned. Need to restructure the incentive program and penalize the appropriate parties.

It was a great experience being an Intern with Fifth Third Bank

Intern and Teller (Former Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Fifth Third as an intern for less than a year

ProsI was able to work in the different sectors of the bank during the summer internship from sales to the credit side.

ConsNo real cons I can think of. Every once in a while there was not much to do but that was due to me being an intern

Advice to Senior ManagementPossibly consider paying interns but really that is no big deal

My time at 5/3rd

I worked at Fifth Third full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOverall the company is performing well and the company is very focused on execution and delivering on commitments

ConsBecause of the intense focus on earnings, there tends to be a lot of "fire-drills" and at times an over-focus on this quarters earnings

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue the focus on execution but make sure that is balanced a little more against long-term earnings and an intense focus on the customer

A lot of functions for such role

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)
Lombard, IL (US)

I worked at Fifth Third full-time for more than a year

ProsGood benefits..vacation, personal, and sick days.

ConsHave to function as a teller manager, branch manager, auditor, initiate loans, take transactions, etc.

Great to bank with but not so much to work for

Teller (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Fifth Third full-time

ProsSet schedule, good opportunity to learn how to work face-to-face with customers in a professional manner.

ConsSales goals are not realistic and the training was inadequate.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange up your training to include less classroom and more real life/real time scenarios as well as a period of on-the job shadowing before allowing new CSRs to work their own drawer. Don't play favorites with certain tellers and don't look the other way when they treat other employees or customers however they feel like it that day. When an employee (especially a new one) asks for feedback or clarification, view it as a sign of initiative and desire to become a better CSR rather than a sign or weakness.

It was a growing experience in the commercial financial world that helped me understand business loans and skills.

Consumer Credit Underwriter (Former Employee)

I worked at Fifth Third full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe benefits far out way any bank I have ever worked at before and I have worked at four different financial and banking institutions.

ConsAge discrimination is a problem at Fifth Third Bank. After you turn 55 and older it becomes an issue for any future considered promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat every employee as if they matter, look at them for possibilities with an open mind. Find out what is really going on.,

Good benefits....Job not so good

Mortgage Underwriter (Former Employee)

I worked at Fifth Third full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood benefits, pay and vacation. Nothing else about the job was good.

ConsWorked for 5/3 Mortgage. Worked like people in a sweatshop for the first three years and then laid off when business slowed down. Middle management is awful. No one who was in management had any experience managing nor any experience in doing the job I did. No one to go to for direction. Different answers all the time. Managers could not make decisions because they had no experience. Employees not treated with respect and not input from employees was never asked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over with the entire management team in mortgage.

Great development opportunities for dedicated employees

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPretty good pay and benefits; I have had four different managers and none of them were clock watchers; Schedule is flexible as long as you get your work done; talented individuals are rewarded and given plenty of development opportunities; plenty of opportunities to work in different areas of the bank and in different affiliates from Michigan to Florida.

ConsOpen positions are sometimes filled politically rather than being based on merit and experience.

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fifth Third reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Fifth Third CEO Kevin T. Kabat. All 468 reviews are posted anonymously by Fifth Third employees.