First Niagara Financial

Add Photos

First Niagara Financial President, CEO, and Director John R. Koelmel

John R. Koelmel

the worst

Prospaid holidays, pretty decent benefits

Consthey expect you to bend over backwards for minimum pay

Advice to Senior Managementpay tellers more than basically minimum wage!

Disconnected

Financial Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsSmall regional bank with good presence

ConsFalse expectations set. Company felt unclear with its direction. Pay was not on par with similiar competitors.

Fast growing bank who are attempting to build a infrastructure to support the growing business.

ProsHeavy investment in IT coming in the near future. Lots of opportunity to find a project that interest you.

ConsInfastructure is lacking. Company grew to fast and focused more on acquisitions then it did profitablility and internally.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Management, nice work enviroment

Solutions Delivery (Former Employee) Lockport, NY (US)

ProsIntelligent and understanding management, positive work environment, great internship program, and solid work-life balance. Even as an intern, I was treated with respect and given a relevant and highly visible workload. Getting time off was usually easy (as an intern), and the work / life balance was good.

ConsGiven the company size, it's sometimes difficult to get much variety in the workload compared to say, a smaller consulting company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat management. Understanding, and pushes employees to excel and grow. Keep it up!

LOTS of responsibilites

Teller (Former Employee)

ProsYou get lots of free stuff. Blankets, key chains, pens, etc.

ConsYou have more than one job to do and getting referrals means everything in the company. They have also been laying off people randomly and demoting some as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower the teller referrals

Why can't I give this company zero stars? horrible pay and treatment of employees

Teller and Notary (Former Employee) Huntingdon Valley, PA (US)

ProsNo pros but i guess there are worse jobs. Good part time job if you don't need to work

ConsAt FNFG they expect their employees to bend over backwards for the company as far as scheduling is concerned; however trying to call out due to an illness or providing less than two weeks notice for any time off is met with retaliation. I missed three days of work over the summer due to a medical procedure and two sick days. Due to this "pattern" of missing work (disregarding 11 months of working whatever hours asked and never calling out) I was informed that I was no longer in consideration for promotion from part time to full time. The pay at first niagara for a teller is not enough to support a single individual, especially if you need benefits. The pay for a teller is around 400 per week (assuming you are given 40 hours) the benefits cost 135 a week. Leaving about 900 a month before taxes for housing, food, and transportation. I was hired as a 35 hour per week part time employee and was reduced to 25 hours per week later with no notice. Luckily I was able to find another job and leave. First Niagara constantly changes their account requirements and fees while hiding notices to customers in small print on statements, leaving their tellers to explain the policy changes and new charges. the amount of responsibility and salesmanship that is expected at fnfg they grossly undervalue their employees. I would not recommend this company for a relationship for anyone as an employee or as a customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees a livable wage and stop lying to prospective employees about how many hours they will be scheduled each week.

Needs Improvement

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Lockport, NY (US)

ProsSmall enough not become utterly capricious and random, like Bank of America. Also small enough to still be somewhat responsive to reality on the ground.

ConsMiddle management ranks are becoming like all others in the banking industry; that is, simple power players and not problem solvers and protectors of assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you import management talent from other banks, understand that you are also importing some of the worst aspects of American banking culture. STUDY the science of what makes for good managers, and you have to WORK HARDER to keep your sense of "great culture" that you are in jeopardy of losing as we speak.

First Niagara has a local feel for a large company

Intern (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY (US)

ProsFNFG was very flexible and the culture was great. I learned a lot from upper management.

ConsWorking in a cube, you aren't able to interact as much with fellow coworkers.

WPA wants out!

No Thanks (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThe culture that is created in most branches are special and unique...for the most part and it's a job in a bad economy.

ConsThis place is falling apart at the seams. Terrible leadership and no direction. Employees are over worked as jobs have been over the past two years. Branch staff can not take a lunch b/c of staff shortages. Advancements are often given to good old boys club rather than individuals that actually work hard and deserve it. No supplies no water no marketing whatsoever no technology no customers no presence. Oh yeah...we are going double and triple your goals. Wonder why they would do that Nothing makes sense at First Niagara.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect your employees for what they do everyday in the extremely poor environment in which you have created. Most are disengaged, fed up, and over it.

It's ok

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Phila, PA (US)

ProsGood team environment and culture

ConsUnorganize and the training is sub par

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention

Worked for First Niagara Financial? Contribute to the Community!