First Niagara Financial

Add Photos

First Niagara Financial President, CEO, and Director John R. Koelmel

John R. Koelmel

Could Be Worse, Could Be a Lot Better

No Thanks (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY (US)

ProsIt seems that most individuals have good intentions, provide good customer service and care about the company. There appears to be a strong business plan and an emphasis from Senior Management on carrying that plan through. The company is ambitious and all the acquisitions seem to have worked out.

ConsThe "happy" culture they promote is fake. They overwork and undervalue employees. The environment is cutthroat. All the acquisitions brought in too many different groups of people and nobody has direction except for where they used to work.
    Many mid-level managers are power hungry and have no problem throwing an employee under the bus in order to save themselves. Employees who give even the slightest push back receive retaliation and are outcast and made to feel bad.
    What we use in the branches works for the most part but it takes too long to get customers what they need. Even small transactions take too long and there are a lot of headaches. Equipment breaks a lot compared to where else I been.
    No appreedciation and unrealistic expectations and they keep quietly cutting jobs and we are expected to pick up the work of people who leave or are let go without bringing in more people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't care. They live in a different environment than we do and don't see, or care to see, what's really going on.

Stressfull

Teller (Current Employee) Rockland, NY (US)

ProsJeans Day, lovely teller system, fun work environment, make your own branch signage

Consgoals are very high and there is a lot of pressure when it comes to making them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving unreasonable goals and get a better incentive program for the tellers

Financial Sales Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company when it started out, very involved in helping you obtain licensing and learning the business

ConsCan be disorganized as they continue to grow and buy other banks, current employee's can feel forgotten about as other employees coming on board from the bank's First Niagara bought seem to take top priority

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the employee's who helped make you who you are today

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay, but...

ProsSomewhat collaborative culture.
    Decent salaries for W. New York.

ConsUnintentional bait and switch...company needs to learn true strategy.
    People are nice, but the level of outside/large company experience at management/senior level hinders the company growth potential.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany needs to restructure itself in order to clearly understand your potential career path.
    Advancement maybe possible only if you are in the right role.

Horrible Place to work

Teller Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsNot many, Benefits are pretty good for now but word of insurance being cut some next year is circulating.

Conscompany does not care about employees at all. Raises are measly if you are lucky to get one. Most locations are short staffed at all times so you end up not being able to take break while customers yell at you for making them wait.

Advice to Senior Managementgive up and sell. Most employees here have given up and are looking elsewhere.

Great local and mid-level leadership

Personal Financial Associate (Current Employee) Uniontown, PA (US)

ProsI have great local and mid-level leadership.

ConsThe company is still catching up to the 21st century in some ways.

it's okay.

Teller (Current Employee) East Windsor, CT (US)

ProsCompetitive pay, HR & Tech center is very helpful.

ConsAdvancement within company takes a while.

Clear lack of direction and very poor senior level communication skills

Team Leader (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY (US)

ProsCo-workers
    OK Salary for WNY
    OK Benefits
    Flexible time/shifts

ConsZero advancement in IT unless you come from outside the company.
    Lack of focus/too many projects in flight.
    Heavy effort to out source all services they can.
    Sr. IT Leadership are all talk/no action.
    More project mangers then they know what to do with.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart at the top and work down quick. The relationship between IT and business units is horrible and only getting worse. Pick a handful of projects and work on those to completion. Listen to the people in the trenches instead of high priced/low yield consultants.

Not good

Teller (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsBenefits are good ....that's about it

ConsTurnover is high...company is constantly changing staff!

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach!

FNFG teller

Back Up Head Teller (Former Employee) Lockport, NY (US)

Prosyou receive a paycheck every 2 weeks

Cons-no opportunity for advancement even if you are more than qualified for the job openings
    -everything operates on favoritism, even if you have the best numbers you are not promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know all employees and utilize the talent that you have, instead of promoting off of favoritism

Worked for First Niagara Financial? Contribute to the Community!