Flagstar Bancorp

Updated 22 October 2014
2.5

Flagstar Bancorp President & CEO Alessandro P. DiNello
Alessandro P. DiNello

Pros
  • Some good people who mean well, but quality leadership is sorely lacking (in 7 reviews)

• Competitive pay, normal hours, good benefits, good PTO, opportunity to move up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • And often changes in upper management in the last 3 or 4 years (in 7 reviews)

• Flagstar has little room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Management unorganized and lacked professionalism in the department.

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Speciaist in Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Speciaist in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overtime available, bank holidays, and flexibility with schedule. Opportunities to move into different roles within department.

Cons

Lack of training and lack of leadership.

Be honest with your employees.

I learned the difference between wholesale mortgage banking and retail mortgage banking

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp (less than an year)

Pros

i was exposed to a lot of avenues to originate loans with real estate agents and I learned a lot of ways to originate loans from cold calls.

Cons

I was told when I was hired that Flagstar sent loans to other banks for service if they didn't have a program available for a customer but found out this was untrue...also at the time of my employment processing was very slow...may have improved by now...

Be honest, assist new loan officers regarding mortgage products and dealing with clients...

Flagstar Busy

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Never had to work hard

Cons

Nothing to do. Not paid well.

Proceed with caution.

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get bank holidays off.

Cons

Too many to list unfortunately.

Things are improving

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Senior level management is trying to make improvements. Things have been quite unstable for last several years, but it feels like things are looking up.

Cons

Mid level management has been around too long. No matter how much senior management tries to make improvements, mid level managers are stubborn and unwilling to change. Most managers at that level are only in their position because of seniority. They lack the skills needed to mentor their employees. We basically just do what we are told, so there is really no opportunity to shine and that is sad as there are a lot of brilliant minds at Flagstar. If only their voices were being heard.

Senior management is doing good job communicating to their direct staff but it stops there. Spend some time to really evaluate your middle management team. Take the time to really listen to what people are saying and do something about it.

Fantastic internship program!

Current Employee - Data Governance in Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Data Governance in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, you are treated as an equal and they make sure to train you for the banking environment just as they would for any other role.

At other companies, a peer was my mentor. At Flagstar, my supervisor was my mentor and she made sure that I was recieving the best experience possible by introducing me to technologies that would help to advance my career. More importantly, she was never too busy for me and was willing to spend as much time to help me gain an understanding as to what is expected. She wanted me to know what my role was and to be able to confidently talk about my tasks. This is not the type of internship filled with fetching coffee for the superiors and filing. They definitely expose you to important tasks that are meaningful to the company.

Aside from learning my role, I was also encouraged to explore other roles by setting up short meetings so that I can watch their day-to-say activities. This is helpful for those who are undecided in what they want to pursue an advanced degree in because you have the opportunity to watch each role in a work environment opposed to classroom curriculum.

I can't say enough good things about this internship experience. Not only do they want you to succeed while working for them, but also in your future career.

Cons

Very short internship (3 months) with no opportunity for job placement afterwards. No benefits.

AVP in the National Sales and Development Department

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President National Sales in Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President National Sales in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed the work that I did and the people I worked with. They had great benefits that included, health insurance, vacation time, and 401K.

Cons

After working at Flagstar for 18 years, I was not able to advance any further within the company and due to downsizing, my position was combined with another area and my position eliminated.

My advise to management would be better communication. They had a tendency to keep the companies financial position and/or plans amongst themselves, leaving those that were in jeopardy of loosing their jobs without an opportunity to find other employment.

A company with out a clue on what it wants to do.

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Officer in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Centrally located and a great place if you want to just show up and don't care about a career

Cons

It is pretty much still trying to find a way to diversify away from being a mortgage company but is about 8-10 years too late.

Strongly consider taking frequent surveys or feedback from employees since you will find out quickly about all the mismanagement you have.

Challenging

Current Employee - Supervisor Servicing in Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor Servicing in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Safe environment, good cafeteria and relaxed dress code

Cons

Business units don't support bank mission

Support your employees, they are human beings not work horses

Mostly a good tenure here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is fair, benefits are very good, co workers are wonderful, nice cafe downstairs for breakfast lunch and snacks. Its a business casual atmosphere.

Cons

Management is reactive rather than proactive and when the try to be proactive it becomes alot of posturing and nothing really ever gets done effectively and gets put on the back burner. Managers take credit for your work but when there are short comings throw you under the bus to still look good in front of others

Trim the fat. Too many managers hanging around are lame duck managers.