Flagstar Bancorp

Updated 29 September 2014
2.5

Flagstar Bancorp President & CEO Alessandro P. DiNello
Alessandro P. DiNello

Pros
  • Some good people who mean well, but quality leadership is sorely lacking (in 7 reviews)

• Competitive pay, normal hours, good benefits, good PTO, opportunity to move up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • And often changes in upper management in the last 3 or 4 years (in 7 reviews)

• Flagstar has little room for advancement (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Has been moving backwards for the last 6 years. No progress in IT or product

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Never had a paycheck bounce, payroll taxes were always paid, and benefits were OK, though getting worse.

Cons

Was laid off from a 100% commission position, in a declining market. That's pretty much unheard of and indicative of how this management team is really just in over their heads. I think there have been 4 CEO's since 2008, which again is unheard of. The banks profits come from the mortgage business and unfortunately this bank is the wrong size. Too big to be customer friendly and too small to play with the big boys. The wholesale sales team is now being run by three people, all of which were over promoted to just be regional managers, now they get a chance to mismanage the whole division. I'm glad to be gone.

Listen to the rank and file, your managers are perfect examples of the Peter Principle, and will drag the whole thing down. The best advice is SELL while you can

My experience at Flagstar started off ok. Then it became a nightmare. They started to track your every move.

Former Employee - Post Closer  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Post Closer in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are willing to hire people with little to no experience. There is some potential to move up.

Cons

Management is rude. There is no lunch room on any of the floors. You have to share microwaves with the whole company.

Management needs to stop mico-managing their employees. They make you feel like you are always doing something wrong. They need to encourage their employees more. This will help boost moral.

Flagstar bank is an alright place to work, tough to move within.

Former Employee - Loan Officer  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Loan Officer in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flagstar is a small enough bank that most people at corporate are known around. They have the big bank name and small to medium bank feel that makes customers feel comfortable.

Cons

It felt difficult to get promoted within, most people have been there for a while and like where they were at and content without going anywhere.

Show a path to career advancement to new employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busting my ass for a company that never recognizes it

Mortgage loan closer

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

PTO time and the cafeteria staff is only pros for this place

Cons

Never want to hire within or allow employees to move up within. Poor pay, managers who micro manage your every move. Managers who won't take advise from employees on their every day work.

Promote from within!!! Learn how to pay your employees what they deserve or you will lose GOOD employees. Get rid of the lazy staff who work only for a pay...not to make a difference

Not a pleasant place to work, management is completely disorganized

Former Employee - Top Dog In Charge of Everything
    Former Employee - Top Dog In Charge of Everything

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work at Flagstar include: paid holidays, PTO, and since they are settling all their lawsuits maybe they will be bought out.

Cons

A few of the downsides of working for Flagstar include: the offices being short staffed most of the time, constantly changing the high priority work, and declining most of the loan applications that take many weeks to process.

Get your act together.... you are losing good people!

Work there at you own risk.

Current Employee - Financial Service Representative
    Current Employee - Financial Service Representative

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company try to get input from the employees of how to improve the company.

Cons

The company doesn't have a great reputation as a bank. As a bank I wouldn't say they are strong.

I have none.

Generally a positive experience, with usual highs and lows.

Former Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pleasant working conditions and facilities. Friendly culture. Variety of types of work assigned. The on-site cafeteria has good food and pleasant staff.

Cons

Frequent cuts in staffing. Consistent lack of communication to employees. Constant turnover at the highest levels over the past 3 years. 20% staffing reduction by department, across the company. Career advancement difficult. Company spent thousands abd thousands of dollars to expand into leased space, then walked away from the space in less that 2 years, and eliminated more than 800 positions.

Great employer when the Hammonds were in charge!

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great culture when I was there.

Cons

Hardest job I've ever had, but most rewarding.

Good learning opportuity in a frustrating work atmosphere

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Speciaist  in  Troy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Speciaist in Troy, MI (US)

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There were many great people working here. Training staff was very good in the end. Time off was very flexible.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunity, Processes changed constantly, Software package purchased for doing our job in loss mitigation destroyed our customer service. Poorly managed.

A company that advertises itself as Michigan owned, Michigan focused shouldn't be outsourcing jobs out of state. There have been numerous layoffs in the mortgage and loss mitigation departments of well over 400 employees.

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative  in  Sterling Heights, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative in Sterling Heights, MI (US)

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I work in the branch as a personal banker and enjoy working with my team on a daily basis. Management is great as long as you meet or exceed your goals. Work/school/life balance is great and they are really flexible.

Cons

Loan goals can be stressful at times. Very hard to get promoted within. A lot of ass kissing is necessary to get what you want.

Start hiring within the company instead of outsiders.

Worked for Flagstar Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!