Florida International University

Updated 18 August 2014

3.9

Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg
Mark B. Rosenberg

Pros
  • FIU has great benefits, including portable retirement benefit, excellent healthcare benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Good work/life balance depending on the job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • For job seekers outside of the South Florida market, please note: the cost of living in Miami is quite high (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of communication between departments (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Graduate Student and Teaching Assistant

Pros

This university provides a good value for local students.

Cons

A focus an expansive growth of student population without an accompanying expansion of insfrastructure hs created an overcrowded campus.

Your experience will depend on the department

Current Employee - Program Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

Great people. Health insurance, training. I've been lucky., I worked with great people. I worked with the writing center, the English department and the Humanities center. All 3 departments have great training and awesome helpful people.

Cons

To be fair, I did not experience this myself. I'm just going by interactions I've seen between my peers and their management. My confusion? Some people in management shouldn't be there. Some departments have a petty and hostile environment. Others are just extremely lax. You end up doing the management's work in addition to your own.

I'd advise administration to be a bit more careful about who gets promoted to management. Some people very obviously see other managers as competition and end up bickering more than working. Others see their employees as workhorses. It makes the experience at FIU inconsistent.

Overall, I have a good experience working at FIU. But it also depends on the department you work in.

Current Employee - Senior Accountant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

Its has good employee benefits, such as tuition waiver, low cost health insurance, opportunity to advance within the university. It is a good environment to work in.

Cons

Of course, salary is lower than in private organization in general. Salary increase is no less deceiving. You have to really fight for an increase, based on personal experience.

Fight for a good raise for your employees when they work hard.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

I've been able to work in several areas of the University which has given me a great overview of how it all works. Colleagues are, for the most part, really nice people who work well together

Cons

I've found it very tough to get raises over the years. It is a state-assisted University so that probably plays a part in that. State funding has been cut to all public universities in Florida year after year. University Leadership doesn't often provide input as to their expectations. It is common to have to develop plans, reports, projects, etc. and then have the boss react to it, as opposed to getting input at the beginning stage.

Listen more to what your people have to say.

A place with potential for great things.

Current Employee - Office Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

Stable environment with plenty of opportunities and growth

Cons

Can be hard to move up, stagnant feeling at times.

Implement innovative techniques to improve employee satisfaction and reduce turnover.

It's and ok environment to work in.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

Excellent company benefits, ability to extend and complete your education and or if you have a child they can complete their education. Good work life balance, basically you will be able to have quality time with your family. If you value helping students complete their higher education this is the place to be! The greatest satisfaction is attending graduation and watching your students receive their degree. It will leave you speechless knowing you were a part of the process.

Cons

lots of red tape, takes time to get things through the chain of command, moderate compensation, lots of politics

Consider how to make processes more efficient for staff, faculty as well as students.

Miami's University

Current Employee - Project Coordinator  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

FIU provides great benefits to it's employees. The atmosphere is positive, promotes school spirit and comradery amongst staff and students alike and opportunities are available for furthering ones education, even as a full-time employee.

Cons

Parking during the fall & spring semesters.

Paperwork can sometimes be daunting and it seems that too many people are assigned to complete the same task.

Student Assistant

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

I have flexibility to work. Weekly I had to sign on for 10 hours and I choose work time on my preference.

Cons

Some works had time limit to finish, so I had to finish those works within the time limit.

The FIU management is very cooperative, because one time one of my pay check was hold for system problem and my manager was took care it efficiently.

Adjunct Professor of Strategic Management

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor of Strategic Management  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor of Strategic Management in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

Great faculty support. Serious students.

Cons

Need more opportunities to become full time faculty.

FIU Teaching Assisstant

Pros

Easy Scheduling especially when you have to take courses.

Cons

Could pay better for everybody

Worked for Florida International University? Contribute to the Community!