Florida International University

Florida International University Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg

Mark B. Rosenberg

Pros
  • FIU has great benefits, including portable retirement benefit, excellent healthcare benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Good work/life balance depending on the job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • For job seekers outside of the South Florida market, please note: the cost of living in Miami is quite high (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of communication between departments (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Your experience will depend on the department

Program Assistant (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat people. Health insurance, training. I've been lucky., I worked with great people. I worked with the writing center, the English department and the Humanities center. All 3 departments have great training and awesome helpful people.

ConsTo be fair, I did not experience this myself. I'm just going by interactions I've seen between my peers and their management. My confusion? Some people in management shouldn't be there. Some departments have a petty and hostile environment. Others are just extremely lax. You end up doing the management's work in addition to your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd advise administration to be a bit more careful about who gets promoted to management. Some people very obviously see other managers as competition and end up bickering more than working. Others see their employees as workhorses. It makes the experience at FIU inconsistent.

Overall, I have a good experience working at FIU. But it also depends on the department you work in.

Senior Accountant (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsIts has good employee benefits, such as tuition waiver, low cost health insurance, opportunity to advance within the university. It is a good environment to work in.

ConsOf course, salary is lower than in private organization in general. Salary increase is no less deceiving. You have to really fight for an increase, based on personal experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight for a good raise for your employees when they work hard.

Lots of opportunities

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsI've been able to work in several areas of the University which has given me a great overview of how it all works. Colleagues are, for the most part, really nice people who work well together

ConsI've found it very tough to get raises over the years. It is a state-assisted University so that probably plays a part in that. State funding has been cut to all public universities in Florida year after year. University Leadership doesn't often provide input as to their expectations. It is common to have to develop plans, reports, projects, etc. and then have the boss react to it, as opposed to getting input at the beginning stage.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to what your people have to say.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A place with potential for great things.

Office Assistant (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsStable environment with plenty of opportunities and growth

ConsCan be hard to move up, stagnant feeling at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement innovative techniques to improve employee satisfaction and reduce turnover.

Miami's University

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsFIU provides great benefits to it's employees. The atmosphere is positive, promotes school spirit and comradery amongst staff and students alike and opportunities are available for furthering ones education, even as a full-time employee.

ConsParking during the fall & spring semesters.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaperwork can sometimes be daunting and it seems that too many people are assigned to complete the same task.

Student Assistant

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsI have flexibility to work. Weekly I had to sign on for 10 hours and I choose work time on my preference.

ConsSome works had time limit to finish, so I had to finish those works within the time limit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe FIU management is very cooperative, because one time one of my pay check was hold for system problem and my manager was took care it efficiently.

Adjunct Professor of Strategic Management

Adjunct Professor of Strategic Management (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat faculty support. Serious students.

ConsNeed more opportunities to become full time faculty.

FIU Teaching Assisstant

ProsEasy Scheduling especially when you have to take courses.

ConsCould pay better for everybody

Florida International University

ProsMiami is a great city. FIU has great students.

ConsAdministration is not so efficient. Local IT industry is not well developed.

Adjunct professor

Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

Prosloyal to adjunct professor and will continue to work with you on a semester by semester basis

ConsPay is low.
    is only able to offer 1-2 courses a semester

Worked for Florida International University? Contribute to the Community!