Florida International University

Updated 8 September 2014
3.8

Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg
Mark B. Rosenberg

Pros
  • FIU has great benefits, including portable retirement benefit, excellent healthcare benefits (in 9 reviews)

• Good work/life balance depending on the job (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • For job seekers outside of the South Florida market, please note: the cost of living in Miami is quite high (in 4 reviews)

• Lack of communication between departments (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a college that I went to whici provided diverse eductions.

Former Employee - Student  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Student in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Florida International University part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was close to my home and they offered a lot of classes and gave oportunity to a large community.

Cons

It was quite close to my house so i did not have so much issues

Great place to work, sometimes

Current Employee - Program Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Many opportunities. There are tons of different departments to work for on campus. This is both good and bad. Most departments have fantastic leadership, but some are lacking. The hours are generally 9 to 5.

Cons

When you're dealing with students, it's almost always the case that they're going to ask you a question that cannot by answered by your department and they will have to speak with 2+ other departments to get a complete answer. This is frustrating to the student and thus they take out their frustration on you. Unfortunately, the university is so divided in it's functions that even things that should logically be handled together are separate departments in separate buildings.

Satisfactory pay scale and a lot of assistantship opportunities if you're a student.

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Florida International University as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I was a research assistant for 2 years and was still getting a decent pay and tuition benefits. With yearly employee evaluation and a lot of skill development and learning opportunities, you can never get behind if you're focus and there to learn.

Cons

The employee system is relatively slow. If you've any problem it might take more than usual time to solve it or even get it addressed.

Need to spend some time and resources in improving the management system, typically those departments who are responsible for addressing the problems of employees, specially students.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work.

I have been working at Florida International University

Pros

Great supervisors, opportunities for training and growth. Good benefits.

Cons

On campus and neighborhood lunch options limited. Lots of street and parking lot flooding during summer months.

Good for academic purpose

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Low paid salary since I was studing.

Cons

Very friendly and supportive faculties.

Very difficult cutting through red tape

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Florida International University as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Considerable amount of free time if you have a part time instructor position. Pays enough and gives you time to have a life.

Cons

Certain departments like the STEM fields have a significantly larger budget than others like the humanities and liberal arts, which is unfair.

Upper management like the President of the University should stop trying to micromanage contract employees, given the size of the university and the number of employees and students.

Working at FIU while enrolled at FIU is very convenient, but politics rule management

I worked at Florida International University part-time

Pros

The campus is really expanding, depending on your management they are very accomidating with working students, if you like warm weather Miami has it

Cons

There are a lot of politics when making any decisions, cost of living in Miami is high, Summer in Miami can be brutal

It's perfectly "meh".

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great for students
    -Tuition assistance is available for some

Cons

-Pay
    -Bureaucracy
    -Lack of vertical promotion or mobility

Take care of your employees and provide them with opportunities to advance.

Bad administration

Current Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

Good benefits as far as health, vacation, and sick.

Cons

The administration is horrible. You can spend weeks waiting for someone to turn a call or email. Students are definitely not a priority, the faculty are. Higher administration only cares about the amount of money faculty bring in, not the students. I had HUNDREDS of students walk into my office complaining that nobody is able to help them. No matter the department or office, students are thrown to the bottom. Staff does whatever they want as far as hours or vacation, because nobody cares. They take time off during the busiest time of the year or they show up to work at 11 am. It seems as if nobody really cared. If you ever want a raise....GOOD LUCK! That will never happen. After years of negotiation, the university finally increased our salaries by 1%!! It's absurd and insulting. Also, there is absolutely no space to grow.

Maybe you should actually MANAGE. The way the university runs is horrible. The students should be priority, not you.

Graduate Student and Teaching Assistant

I have been working at Florida International University

Pros

This university provides a good value for local students.

Cons

A focus an expansive growth of student population without an accompanying expansion of insfrastructure hs created an overcrowded campus.

Worked for Florida International University? Contribute to the Community!