www.fiu.edu

Updated 25 November 2014
3.7

Florida International University President Mark B. Rosenberg
Mark B. Rosenberg

Pros
  • Good work life balance, basically you will be able to have quality time with your family (in 8 reviews)

• FIU has great benefits, including portable retirement benefit, excellent healthcare benefits (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is low, parking is terrible (in 6 reviews)

• compared to peers in other state universities in FL, pay is low when Miami cost of living is high (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

It's and ok environment to work in.

Former Employee - Program Manager in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Florida International University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent company benefits, ability to extend and complete your education and or if you have a child they can complete their education. Good work life balance, basically you will be able to have quality time with your family. If you value helping students complete their higher education this is the place to be! The greatest satisfaction is attending graduation and watching your students receive their degree. It will leave you speechless knowing you were a part of the process.

Cons

lots of red tape, takes time to get things through the chain of command, moderate compensation, lots of politics

Consider how to make processes more efficient for staff, faculty as well as students.

Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've been able to work in several areas of the University which has given me a great overview of how it all works. Colleagues are, for the most part, really nice people who work well together

Cons

I've found it very tough to get raises over the years. It is a state-assisted University so that probably plays a part in that. State funding has been cut to all public universities in Florida year after year. University Leadership doesn't often provide input as to their expectations. It is common to have to develop plans, reports, projects, etc. and then have the boss react to it, as opposed to getting input at the beginning stage.

Listen more to what your people have to say.

A place with potential for great things.

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Stable environment with plenty of opportunities and growth

Cons

Can be hard to move up, stagnant feeling at times.

Implement innovative techniques to improve employee satisfaction and reduce turnover.

Miami's University

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

FIU provides great benefits to it's employees. The atmosphere is positive, promotes school spirit and comradery amongst staff and students alike and opportunities are available for furthering ones education, even as a full-time employee.

Cons

Parking during the fall & spring semesters.

Paperwork can sometimes be daunting and it seems that too many people are assigned to complete the same task.

Student Assistant

Former Employee - Student Assistant in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Florida International University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have flexibility to work. Weekly I had to sign on for 10 hours and I choose work time on my preference.

Cons

Some works had time limit to finish, so I had to finish those works within the time limit.

The FIU management is very cooperative, because one time one of my pay check was hold for system problem and my manager was took care it efficiently.

Adjunct Professor of Strategic Management

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor of Strategic Management in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor of Strategic Management in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Florida International University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great faculty support. Serious students.

Cons

Need more opportunities to become full time faculty.

FIU Teaching Assisstant

I have been working at Florida International University

Pros

Easy Scheduling especially when you have to take courses.

Cons

Could pay better for everybody

Florida International University

I have been working at Florida International University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Miami is a great city. FIU has great students.

Cons

Administration is not so efficient. Local IT industry is not well developed.

Adjunct professor

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

loyal to adjunct professor and will continue to work with you on a semester by semester basis

Cons

Pay is low.
    is only able to offer 1-2 courses a semester

An overall positive experience and valuable learning opportunity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL (US)

Pros

I truly enjoyed working at Florida International University (FIU) South Campus. Prior to working at FIU, I was employed by a small college with very limited resources. While at FIU, I worked in a well-equipped and stocked laboratory and wanted for nothing in terms of supplies. I was able to attend classes around my work schedule, and received invaluable training opportunities that still serve me well, 10 years after my employment there. I would encourage qualified job seekers in the South Florida area to apply to FIU, as there is opportunity for growth and development.

Cons

I have no complaints about FIU per se, as my experience was quite positive. For job seekers outside of the South Florida market, please note: the cost of living in Miami is quite high. Several of my colleagues lived outside of Miami-Dade county and commuted to work daily. The drive was simply too far for me, so I searched and found an affordable apartment in a nearby, older neighborhood.

Florida International University Photos