Fluor Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.8

Fluor CEO David T. Seaton
David T. Seaton

Pros
  • 9 day fortnight is supposed to make your work/life balance perfect (in 15 reviews)

• The working environment at company is very good and better than most of the competitors in the market (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is too disconnected from project employees and mid-level management (in 11 reviews)

• Big Company mentality sometimes, too many Chiefs (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company in some locations.

Current Employee - IT Operations Specialist  in  Greenville, SC (US)
    Current Employee - IT Operations Specialist in Greenville, SC (US)

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, flexible scheduling, great management team.

Cons

I have no cons for this company.

Why Fluor?

I have been working at Fluor

Pros

Almost unlimited resource power, subject matter experts within easy reach through Knowledge on Line.

Cons

Ability to do smaller projects.

Talk to people that work on the front line.

Fluor is one of the best companies to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Manager O&M  in  Point Comfort, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager O&M in Point Comfort, TX (US)

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There is an incredible amount of freedom to work your specialty and contribute to teams that are focused on the customer's success.

Cons

There are some sites where Fluor standards and values are not always conveyed effectively through local management.

Consolidate and franchise every aspect of the Fluor experience t every site and help the teams develop and succeed. Never leave a site team without the proper supervision and leadership.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Contract Company-Afghanistan

Current Employee - Food Specialist Senior
    Current Employee - Food Specialist Senior

I have been working at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I really like Fluor because they are so much better than my first overseas contracting company KBR. As of now we can take leave every 45 days; We get Paid Per Diems; We get Excellent Bonuses; Excellent Travel Reimbursement; Single Room Occupancy when traveling in and out of Dubai. Most important they are a US based company that hires us as US employees unlike KBR. Also, they have sound management practices- Most important is their REAL commitment to SAFETY.

Cons

I have no challenges with Fluor, they are administering a tough contract in a hostile/warzone environment. Unfortunately this contract will be ending and/or changing-that's the name of the contracting business.

Do change your commitment to key Principles and Values and Excellence. Thank you for the opportunity.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Piping Designer  in  Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Piping Designer in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Fluor full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work environment. Great employee conveniences. Great managers and supervisors.

Cons

cyclical business. Projects, contracts and jobs come and go.

Pay more money!

First job out of college

Former Employee - Associate Design Engineer III  in  Aliso Viejo, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Design Engineer III in Aliso Viejo, CA (US)

I worked at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This was a great first job out of college. They were able to provide good training and real life experience. The pay was very good for a first job.

Cons

The work comes and goes and when things are good they are very good and when they are bad you get laid off. You figure they pay you extra to compensate for the fact that they may get rid of you after your project is over.

Great

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Garland, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Garland, TX (US)

I worked at Fluor part-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful Leadership and excellent benefits.

Cons

No Challenges to speak of.

Confusing to work for

Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator  in  Kabul (Afghanistan)
    Former Employee - Fuel Distribution Systems Operator in Kabul (Afghanistan)

I worked at Fluor as a contractor for more than 8 years

Pros

Great pay great vacation/R and R fun travel. Retention bonuses.

Cons

This company was rife with fraud and abuse in Afghanistan as a Department of Defense contractor and will be on the news CNN just like KBR was when they lost the LOGCAP contract in Afghanistan to Fluor. With Fluor they had policies and procedures that were never enforced unless the target was political or racially not in the click. As a result over 500 thousand gallons of jet fuel JP-8 is unaccounted for and there fore missing had policies and procedures be followed and evenly and fairly enforced no matter who you know or the color of your skin then that fuel would be accounted for. There as a huge race issue on LOGCAP Afghanistan under Fluor and it was African American committing racism against white Americans and Afghan local nationals..

I could not watch this go on any longer I had been in Afghanistan and Iraq working for Fluor and KBR for over 8 years and under Fluor it was the worst I had ever witnessed I had to resign or go mad. They make KBR look soo good I would have been willing to go back to KBR for less money than Fluor paid us.

When I resigned I reported what I witnessed to investigators for the company and I have communicated with people still there what was going on is still going on and was never even looked into. Keep your eyes on CNN this will be a story for sure. Fluor will get a bad name and is not a bad company but this every man for himself management is not effective when people are incompetent for the positions they hold and undisciplined and it is very difficult to get highly educated and competent personnel in a war zone they can make the same money or close to it at home so now the guy who was the grocery store cart boy and tells good jokes and knows all the wrong stuff gets the promotion and the blind lead the ones who may be more qualified and almost everyone is looking at face book and playing games on company time as opposed to double checking their work or learning and refreshing their skills.

Fluor will get a bad name form this when the story breaks on CNN and they are not a bad company but been mismanaged and left to run wild in Afghanistan with unqualified and tested personnel.

Apply and enforce policies evenly and fairly have a zero tolerance policy and enforce it no matter who the violators may be who they know or their ethnicity. Evenly balance the ethnicity/race of staff in every section to lesson the likeliness of collusion / buddy system that facilities wrong doing. Ensure via background checks and on site tests and past performance all together to be sure a candidate for promotion is qualified.

Antiquated in Every Way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenville, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC (US)

I worked at Fluor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was decent and the benefits are good - but you're NEVER able to take time off - not without being blackballed. God forbid you need to take time off to care for family - including dying parents.

Cons

If you are a woman, you will only succeed at this company if you are a PE, and then you're still making less than your male peers and sometimes your subordinates. I was threatened with my job more than once for going to HR when passed over for opportunities due to my gender - and was told by the good ole boys that my gender was the reason. My boss once screamed across the company cafeteria, "Wow, you're getting fat." This is the same good ole boy who told me I should be ashamed of myself for not staying home and raising my children full time. I was constantly forced to supervise and be responsible for men who made more than I did. And then they acted shocked when I left, mostly because they thought no other company would want me I guess- like they were doing me some big favor overworking me and underpaying me while degrading and insulting me on a constant basis.

Like they'd listen to a little woman. Why bother?

Great Place to Learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenville, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC (US)

I worked at Fluor full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the better formalized training programs for project managers, engineers, and designers
    Pay is competitive.
    Very professional work environment.
    Good people in all departments.

Cons

Can be "cliqueish" with respect to college you attended (Clemson in Greenville and Texas A&M in Sugar Land) also in Power you need to have a Duke/Fluor Daniel pedigree in the past.
    Fluor does not keep much of a bench when work is slack so you need to be time chargeable.
    If you are prepared to travel you can keep a job.
    Pay is different between offices for the same job.

None

Worked for Fluor? Contribute to the Community!