Forrester Research

Updated 27 January 2015
3.5

Forrester Research Chairman, President, and CEO George F. Colony
George F. Colony

Pros
  • The work-life balance at Forrester is really refreshing and strongly encouraged (in 37 reviews)

• Working with extremely smart people and very flexible work environment (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is on the lower side, but work/life balance and culture make up for it (in 12 reviews)

• The communication of this back to senior management doesn't seem to be happening effectively (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for!

Current Employee - Account Manager in New Delhi
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New Delhi

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture, and transparent commission structure

Cons

Need to have a focused India Strategy

Continue to empower your employees

fine working experience

I worked at Forrester Research

Pros

good atmosphere to work at

Cons

not head quartered in india

good place to start with

I worked at Forrester Research

Pros

good hike, environment is good too

Cons

nothing, just learn and enjoy

nothing

good place to start your career

I have been working at Forrester Research

Pros

great work life balance, not too demanding

Cons

bad compensation as compared to similar companies

Positive Environment Overall

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great place for ideas and collaboration

Cons

Slow career development. Do not practice what they preach when it comes to technology and innovation.

Overall good company to work for...

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a good working environment, lots of smart people willing to help, compensation is decent if you get into the right role, good place for younger professionals to get a foot in the door and work their way up

Cons

For a company that has been in business as long as Forrester, many of their internal processes are still immature & cumbersome. Sales territories are not well thought out creating issues with travel & expense management. Continue to raise prices without significant changes to products making it more & more difficult to renew existing clients. More sales reps should be allowed to work from home. Too much "administrative" stuff...

Hire more senior analysts to support the product sets, Increase expense budgets for sales reps, reduce some of the ongoing administrative expectations, hire a new CEO to run the business and let the current CEO focus on the research organization

Your role will determine how well you fair

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time

Pros

- Access to research
    - Working with incredibly smart people
    - Benefits are one of the best I've ever seen
    - Great work-life balance
    - They do genuinely care about their employees (but resources are limited)

Cons

Depending on whether you are in a client facing, revenue generating role is going to determine how well you fair in the company. Resources are limited so if you aren't in research or sales (client facing and/or revenue generating positions) you can forget getting access to things like training, competitive salaries, career growth, etc.

For a year or two it might not matter as your colleagues are generally great and the worklife balance is also generally amazing, but soon afterwards you realize you're in a pretty stagnant position and there aren't any resources to get you to where you want to be so you'll have to leave.

Has Potential But Change Needed

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Forrester has a great culture of collaboration. The company is filled with bright people. The job requires anyone in sales to remain current on important business & technology trends. The product is research & consulting and is always a moving target. What is new today and table stakes tomorrow so you're constantly learning.

Cons

There are three primary "Cons" with Forrester:
    1. Too many "overlay" jobs. We have people (all different) who help sell data, who service data, who renew data. We have people who help sell consulting however they really just coordinate the writing of SOW's. We have people that support Peer networks yet they have little knowledge of the company the client works for. We have people who manage service work (SU's).
    2. Innovation has stalled. Our events business has not changed in years, we deliver the same format and sometimes the same content. How our client access our research is the same, it's a report the client must read. Our webinars are an analyst talking to PPT slides. We haven't launched any new products to sell (CXi doesn't count, that was retooling an old product).
    3. Pay is below market and we lose good people too often. A promotion guarantees less pay and is openly discussed as the case.

Cut down the number of overlay positions. We spend too much and the client experience suffers.

Be bold with videos and story telling. The days of solely reading reports have past. Set bold product innovation goals with concrete timelines in months not years.

Leverage the saving from fewer overlay positions to increase. People stay when valued and $ is the ultimate measure.

Good company, ongoing leadership challenges.

Former Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Cambridge, MA (US)

I worked at Forrester Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Smart research and analysis. Solid company with good benefits. Good place to begin a career. Free coffee and cappuccino.

Cons

Headquarters location in West Cambridge is terrible. Difficult for customers to visit, few hotels nearby. Terrible commute from anywhere except where CEO and senior management live. Too much clerical work for senior management positions. Salaries tend to be low compared to industry average. High employee burnout resulting in high turnover. Cambridge-based company. Anyone working outside of Cambridge is second class citizen, not truly global. Many analysts are smart, but too young with no real direct practical domain experience.

Respect your people, they are your business-don't just provide lip service to them. Stop the burn and churn mentality. Be truthful, realistic, and allow others to make a fair living-not just senior management.

Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Forrester Research full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Intellectually challenging work, surrounded by smart people and fun personalities. My manager listens to concerns, and works with me to identify areas for career growth and development. I've made use of the tuition reimbursement program, and have also been encouraged to pursue and expense other work-related personal development expenses (e.g., review materials and course for a certification exam, exam fees). I've worked from home on days when necessary (caring for an ill family member, waiting for a plumber, etc), and feel that work/life balance is respected here. There is a Fun Committee that helps to bring the office together by sponsoring contests, free ice cream Wednesdays during the summer, etc.

Cons

Benefits have improved, but compensation could be better. Change management is improving, but could be better too. I've been through several reorgs through the years. I've seen good people, high performers, leave because of changes and burnout. More needs to be done to retain and develop young employees (those in their first few years of working).

We need to hire more people. Employees are stretched thin, and more asks are piled on. My manager puts a lot of effort in making sure our team doesn't burn out, and we all push back where we can.

Forrester Research Photos