Fry
www.fry.com Ann Arbor, MI 150 to 499 Employees

Fry Reviews

Updated Dec 26, 2013
Fry – Ann Arbor – “Parking Lot 5pm”

John E. Gularson

A sweat shop running on out of date platform.

Web Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Fry full-time for more than a year

ProsCompany seems to have steady clients and many are high end retailers. Work environment is casual and benefits are decent.

ConsDevelopment is run as a sweatshop. Little interest in new ideas. Platform is home grown, using obsolete technologies. Little OO Design - actually platform is implemented with a lot of anti-patterns. Very frustrating for developers. Little respect for developers by management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-engineer you platform.

Good Team, not much BS

I have been working at Fry full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey have high standards for the quality of work they will release. People are cool- no drama. The environment is professional and you can focus on doing a good job, not navigating office politics. Direct managers seem to really care.

ConsSometimes the planning isn't that good and people work a lot of overtime. Management and senior team members are overworked, so sometimes they aren't able to support you as much as they'd like. Also, there can be odd issues when you have to work with the parent company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan better! There's no reason for us to have these ugly crunches at the end of every single project. Some of us have been putting out fires every day for a year.

Worst Ecommerce Company Out there

Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Fry full-time for more than a year

ProsGood team members, prone to in-fighting though. Everything is a debate.

ConsOutdated platform, ineffective management, no sales leads, co-worker turmoil, low pay. If you work here do not plan to spend the holidays with your family, you will be working around the clock from Thanksgiving until New Years. No work/life balance. Engineers are treated like slaves, usually working at least 70 hour work weeks.

There is no clear goal for the future, no clear career path for employees and no direction from leadership. You will be kept in the dark until the next round of lay-offs, or until they outsource your position, which is becoming more and more common here.

Small and irrelevant client list, no big or exciting clients to work for or to do ground breaking work. Just small, dopey clients and cookie cutter technology that is a dinosaur.

Steer clear of this archaic firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to the highest bidder.

Fry (Micros-Retail) is a fun and innovative company.

I have been working at Fry full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* interesting work, unique and challenging
* great people working at the company, mostly great clients
* flexible hours with telecommuting and flexible schedules
* growing company with a large Product development group

Cons* need good engineers, looking to recruit some good people
* holidays can be very busy

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your recruiting

A lot of change, not always for the best

I have been working at Fry

ProsThis used to be a great place to be, but now that it has merged with MICROS there is a lack of strategy and communication internally. There are a lot of questions and not a lot of answers and unfortunately that has resulted in a lot of turnover. They are starting to figure things out, but not quick enough.

ConsLack of strategy sharing with staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the staff and share more. Recognize contributions.

Great Company....Until Bought Out

Technical Director (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Fry full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTruly one of the great web stories under David Fry. Under new leadership, not so much.

ConsManagement has no idea. They are trying to turn a brilliant retailer shop into lower cost IBM, quality is not respected, talent is not respected.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe the client. Stop trying to be IBM or ATG - be Fry, a classic retailer. Invest in long term and new ideas. Respect quality.

In spite of the bitter ex employee comments it is a great place to work.

Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Fry full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRelaxed environment that is getting lot's of new business. Omni-Channel integrations and solutions are taking off and a big hit in the market.
It is funny but I have never seen so many ex employees that appear to be unable to move on. Change isn't for everyone. Omni channel suite of products has opened new doors and opportunities that wouldn't have been there had it remained Fry. Fry could not compete stand alone. There is a new energy in the AA office and it is really on the comeback trail. I am glad I didn't listen to the negative comments when I joined. Unfortunately I had to leave due to family reason. I will look to come back in the near future I hope.

ConsNot adding new employees fast enough

A solid company with faults, a place you can make your name

I have been working at Fry full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMicros-Retail (formerly Fry) has the only true omni-channel solution for retailers and is delivering it for medium-to-large clients. Ex-Fry folks were turned off by being part of a larger company, but it was being a puzzle piece in a larger solution. Those who stayed and understood that see what a career boost this is--being in a broader context including hospitality, restaurant, etc. MICROS is a giant in the industry with huge resources, and they reward people who have good ideas and work hard to realize them.
By the way, John Gularson is not the CEO and never was.

ConsOffices are a bit quiet and drab, but the people are great. Some policies, such as lack of transparency on expenses, are annoying, but that's what you get when you work for a public company. You do run into a bean-counter mentality once in a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep opening the doors to innovation. Fix the stuff that's cheap and easy to fix--that's often what employees are grumbling about the most. Hire more resources so we have some bench and agility.

Fry Ann Arbor- Losing Relevancy and Viability

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)
Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I worked at Fry full-time for less than a year

ProsCreative team was great but they are all leaving.

ConsAbsolutely everything....outdated platform, terrible management, small and irrelevant clients (all big clients have left), low pay, no clear path for promotions, high employee turnover office is literally falling apart, engineers are worked like slaves, low employee morale, offshore development work more common than inhouse work, dishonest to they clients they do still have.

Worst ecommerce company out there.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the people that made Fry great have left. Follow suite and leave too.

I enjoyed my tenure with the company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Westmont, IL (US)

I worked at Fry full-time for more than a year

ProsRelaxed work environment, interesting work, great people, and great work/life balance. Being a consultant can be tough, but the work is rewarding.

ConsPay is not as competitive as working in downtown Chicago, but living and working in the suburbs worked for me. The company is not as bad as previous reviews with Micros taking over. It's a job and people that don't like change simply move on (and complain).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee growth and team building.

Worked for Fry? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fry reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Fry CEO John E. Gularson. All 28 reviews are posted anonymously by Fry employees.