GE

Updated Jul 30, 2014

3.6 2,384 reviews

GE Chairman & CEO Jeffrey R. Immelt

Jeffrey R. Immelt

Pros
  • Provides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged (in 123 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities to advance if you're willing to move around a lot (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Also most of the people i know who work here don't have much work life balance (in 132 reviews)

• Can be long hours but if you are good at planning your day, you will be more than fine (in 76 reviews)

More Highlights
2,384 Employee Reviews

If you are someone who believes that "Work is just a part of life, then GE is heaven"

Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

Pros1. Work Life balance
    2. Work culture
    3. Freedom
    4. Campus facilities (if you are in JFWTC)
    5. Leadership examples

Cons1. No Onsite
    2. Mediocre salary

Work life at GE

Lead Research Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsOpportunities to work on cutting edge of technology
    Good opportunities to learn and try out new things ... vey good for people in the initial part of their career
    Very good trainings are offered which are truly world class.
    Flexible working style
    Excellent campus

ConsNot really competitive salary
    Most businesses have US counterparts ... so more late evening meetings
    Work pressure can get high in certain teams
    Onsite assignments comparitively low

Good place to work and learn...

ProsIts konw for his innovation..stable and steady company..will learn new things not only in your field of work even from other departments..

ConsLonger decission making time..very few interaction with the higher management and employee engagement programmes..

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Over all a nice company to work for

Analyst (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsI joined GE as fresher, I still remember my first day, felt very proud to be part of this Huge Organisation with such a reputation, Even though I am not working here any more but still wanted to share my experiences with you :

Work Life balance : I worked for Appliances & Lighting division and Work Life balance is the best feature.

Compensation : Its almost like an Government organisation and will give a standard hike yearly of 10 % at an average.

you can easily find many people working for more than 10 years and am sure they will continue till retirement.

Excellent work culture surrounded by highly talented helping people.

Perfect company for ladies and for those ppl who wanted to have a cool life with out much expectations.

ConsLearning curve is very low.
    Legacy system with lot of complex technologies.
    Most of the tools used are customized ones working on those technologies wont help to get a job in the outside market but there are lot more things we can learn here for a successful career.
    no need to comment on managers bcoz they are 'manage'rs but since I came out and got chance to work with other managers, I feel Managers here are far better in many aspects.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is my first company and I always love this company :)

Best industrial company to work for

Lab Manager (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsCompetitive culture, best infrastructure and facility, world class talent

ConsNo local decision making authority

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't only take orders from US

Work Life balance, flexibility

Project Lead (Current Employee) Bangalore

ProsGE offers great work life balance. The leadership team is miles ahead in terms of everything they do when compared to most other organization. Employees have an identity beyond being stamped as just a "resource". There are several programs to fund employees and families health and well being. Several events, outings appreciation methods etc. No login logout or any forms of employee tracking. All is well as long as your work is done, no one else is bothered about anything else. Freedom to express and give opinion. Presence of councils like Ombuspersons and Prevention of harrassment - these are very powerful and protect the employee from retaliation from manager

ConsAbsolutely very minimal onsite opportunities. Pay is less when compared to other pay masters. Its mostly a trade off between whether one needs a very high salary or a good work life balance. Otherwise cant think of several negatives because i have experienced the terrible work culture in services companies

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to pay more competitively. People leave GE only because of pay or lack of onsite opportunities

Lot of learning, smart colleagues

Head - Mining Sales (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana

ProsProvides ample opportunity for growth in career , work -life balance is encouraged.You get to work with talented and motivated colleagues. Highly professional with highest level of ethics.

ConsBig organisation , not every business is very strong , so being in a not so strong part of GE is not good for career growth.Employee's in good business are more secure with bright prospect.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should take direct feedback occassionally with middle management and trench workers , not soley rely on their reportees feedback.

Best Company to work with!

Manager (Former Employee) Hyderābād

ProsGE is definitely the place to mould yourself with the culture, integrity and organised structure and practices. The trainings are the best to ensure 100% utilization and learning for an employee. Integrity and the culture have always been open and very easy to understand. It's a great start up place to develop your skills, talent and understand what career path you are looking for.

ConsThe salary could be higher compared to the job market. There are a lot of incentives, but the basic salary is pretty less.

Not so cool

ProsBig name, Employee friendly, ample opportunities

ConsLess Compensation, Good place to be if you want to grow in domain.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay better to hire and retain right talent.

Great place to work

Edison Engineer (Former Employee) Bangalore

ProsVery friendly office culture. Freedom to work on new ideas. Good work life balance. Challenging and engaging assignments. Very ethical.

ConsI would say, salary is a bit on lower side.

Worked for GE? Contribute to the Community!