GTM Sportswear

Updated 2 December 2014
Updated 2 December 2014
2.6

David Dreiling

Good company, great sales experience

Former Employee - Sales Intern in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Intern in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

A week of sales training will get you familiar with the products before you get on the phones. This position gave me great carryover sales experience for my next job. You will learn to get comfortable on the phones and tweak your sales pitch.

Great environment/atmosphere.
    Very accommodating and nice co-workers
    No disconnect between interns/employees and senior sales staff
    Flexible with hours
    Boss is very patient and wants you to succeed.

Cons

Very little cons. Pay is not great, but above minimum wage.

It's been a good learning experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manhattan, KS (US)

I have been working at GTM Sportswear as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I worked with was willing to help.
    The learning experience was rather painless.
    Learned a lot about the industry and business.

Cons

Bad bad internship program. The program is way behind compared to what other corporations are doing right now. It's also hard to start as an intern and have that turn in to full-time employment. Internship wasn't organized very well and a lot of what I worked on was just stuff that nobody else wanted to work on.

Change your interview formats to more behavioral based and interview more than one time. You would be able to filter out bad employees that way. Establish some sort of summer internship program where the interns can be innovative and help solve company problems; also, get the interns involved with each other with some out of office networking opportunities.

downhill

I worked at GTM Sportswear

Pros

Has a great atmosphere with fun people. Ever since the system change they fired everyone

Cons

Unable to move up in company.
    A series of excuses until the day is over and then it starts all over again the next day. no accountability

Shift around your upper management. There are some people in upper management who flaunt the fact that they didn't go to college....well it shows...

Could be a successful business, but nobody knows what they're doing.

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a good way to meet some cool people in the post-college stage of life. Depending on your position, you may be left alone for most of the day.

Cons

You will most likely have a dead-end job. It takes most people around a year to get a 50 cent or 1 dollar raise, and anything past may never happen. I worked with somebody who had been there over 5 years and we were paid about the same after I was there 1 year. Your job roles will definitely change from what you signed up for, thanks to a small clause in the contract that states this can happen. Your new roles will include very tedious, boring, and low-level work. Due to the high turnover rate, you will 'fill in' for a lost worker 'temporarily' and do their old job. And before you know it, that becomes your sole responsibility, even if you are vastly talented at your original title.

Most importantly, nobody seems to know what they're doing, especially after the implementation of the new company software. You will most likely have better and more efficient ideas than your manager, but they'll never be implemented because the only people that get promoted are those that are groomed by management to act just like them.

There are often poor ideas put into place that only last a few weeks or less before being revoked, even though everybody knew from the start it was a bad idea. For example, we were told that nobody was allowed to take a vacation during the summer. After a week, we were told we misinterpreted the email that blatantly stated this.

You will be forced into snooze-fests known as the 'weekly huddle' where everybody gives 'shout-outs' to each other for doing nothing in particular. This eats up much-needed time and managers later ask why production numbers were lower than usual on that day. You might become enraged at corporate culture of passive-aggressiveness and seeing only those who have the same ideas as their superiors moving up in the chain.

There are quarterly reviews where managers will tell you that you are lacking in some way or another. There is a rubric sheet of qualities you meet from 1-5, and nobody, I mean nobody, will score above a 3. Do you show up to work on time every day and have never missed a punch nor taken a sick day? That's a 3. Do you do exactly what your job description describes? Also a 3, probably lower. This is because you will get a 'raise' if you score above a 3, so managers are forced to rank as lowly as possible. If you take the evaluation to heart and improve the qualities they listed, you will then lack in another department because all your time was spend improving on something else, much like a teeter-totter.

Discussing pay is looked down upon and some managers believe it isn't allowed (although it's a federal law that this is indeed allowed). You might get written up if you complain about your pay and somebody higher up catches wind, even if you're discussing it outside of work.

I suspect the company will go out of business within 5-10 years.

Hire people for their actual job and don't switch them to something else. Think for yourselves and don't pretend like your job is stressful when all you do is sit around replying to emails.

No real experience

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in Manhattan, KS (US)

I have been working at GTM Sportswear as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the people I worked with. Everyone is friendly and easy to communicate with. No dress code.

Cons

No real experience. As an accounting intern I deal with NOTHING accounting related. My role was very monotonous and boring. My role was more customer service than anything. Plus, I was paid less than the full-time staff, even though they only had a high school degree.

Allow the accounting interns to get actual accounting work.

Company is going down!

Former Employee - Account Manager in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On-site health clinic, Great friends

Cons

Management, Pay, Appreciation, Long hours for nothing

Stop changing things every year. Find a consistent system (you know what worked before) and stick with it. Stop paying lazy people big bucks to do nothing and give that money to the people on the front lines doing all the work. Your new system is the worst thing you could have ever done. The owner doesn't care about anything but lining his own pocket.

Enjoyed my customers, the product line was fun to promote,

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun product, great customers, industry is ever changing and evolving.

Cons

Company needs to seriously consider where it wants to spend its time and money. The expansion in the outside sales force was much too rapid and too many reps were added. The additional revenue expectations for those territories is way out of reach.

It isn't for everyone, but 25 years and almost 1000 employees doesn't happen by accident.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Manhattan, KS (US)

I have been working at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fast paced and fun environment for people that are fast paced and fun. Free medical clinic for employees, and spouses and children. Employee scholarship program. Awesome medical coverage, 401k matching, paid vacation. Employee emergency assistance fund. I work with great friends.

Cons

Management had growing pains, made some wrong moves with good intentions regarding personnel and inventory that were magnified by the recession and changes in the market. Entry level positions have entry level pay, but some people don't include the cost of their benefits. High turnover rate of external executives and sales reps has been an issue.

Welcome back Dave!

Great Company to work for, Runs like a mom and pop business

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home.. they provide an entire home office, freedom to make your own hours, GAS CARD, 500 car allowance, ipad.

Cons

Lack of organization with the outside sales program, no structure, consistently changing the processes. seems like they were trying to figure out what to do with all of the outside reps and were overwhelmed, meanwhile they have 50 outside reps trying to figure things out on there own

Don't Hire outside reps until a legit program is established

Absolutely Horrible Employer!

Former Employee - This and That in Manhattan, KS (US)
    Former Employee - This and That in Manhattan, KS (US)

I worked at GTM Sportswear full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are always hiring if you are an the absolute end of your rope and desperate.

Cons

unhealthy work environment, scatter-brained leadership, insane turn-over, vague company goals, compensation

You are losing ground because you see no value in your employees. Pay a reasonable wage, recognize people for good work and encourage them. You cannot grow if your entire workforce turns over every year or so. Your HR department is probably the hardest working department in the company and it's still twice the size of what it could be. Look at all the time and money that goes into training a new employee:

1. The department loses productivity when someone leaves
    2. The trainer loses productivity while their focus shifts to training the new employee
    3. The new employee will likely quit or get fired 6 months later anyway because while all of this is going on, the VPs are constantly showing graphs and numbers threatening people to do better for the sake of the company and their jobs.
    4. The new employee is now training even newer employees with their incomplete knowledge of their own job responsibilities.

This is the cycle. This is the problem. You are mismanaged and lost.

Also, according to volunteered information from employees, in a few cases, your executives make 6 times more than their direct subordinates, but the company is failing because of production, support and sales?