Garda World Security

2.0

Garda World Security Chairman, President, CEO Stéphan D. Crétier
Stéphan D. Crétier

Screening Officer

Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Pre-Board Screening Officer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Pays Well -Ability to make own schedule

Cons

-Poor management -No chance of growth

-Better management training for the company

2 years security officer

Current Employee - Securiy Guard in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Securiy Guard in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Get paid on time, Good uniform

Cons

Firing guards with not acceptable reason

Increasing of wage depends on the job requirments.
    Expectation is higher than standard in most of the sites.

The company motto says "integrity", but I see little of it.

Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Marine Facility Security Officer in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of work, high turnover in managers, who come and go and only try to make themselves look good.

Cons

average pay, many payroll errors caused by site supervisors not submitting hours correctly. The managers commit errors that put contracts at risk.

Evaluate your staff, promote based on competency and experience. Identify the poor performers and remove them from sensitive contracts.

If I was the President, I would be embarrassed - YYZ

Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - YYZ - Aviation in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

coworkers - lower management - sympathize with each other when they are being crucified by upper management

Cons

no growth unless you speak French
    Upper management uses staff and throws them under the bus when it's their fault
    Upper management is clueless, naïve, and are majority retired Air Canada employees
    Your manager will mostly likely not know how to be effective manager
    Everyday there is a fear that you will be fired, walking on egg shells no matter if you do your job right
    You have to be "yes" person to survive in the culture, if you do what's right or speak up - you will be fired.

Learn leadership, management, and integrity maybe you won't have so much turnover. Stop promoting GardaWorld as a great place to work you are just lying and wasting candidate's time. Upper management don't be threatened by your staff if they do your job plus your job better than you!

Mr. Crétier if you are ruthless as a leader than kudos to you - your style definitely trickled down throughout your divisions.

Not a good employer, if you're looking for substance...

Former Employee - Security Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Security Agent in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's work and it can pay you.

Cons

Awful management
    More drama than a high school
    Lack of benefits
    No sick pay
    No vacation days
    Management promoted on a brown-nosing basis
    Management does not take responsibility for actions
    Lack of crisis management
    No training for new employees- employees are assigned to sites way beyond their scope and skills and not offered any additional training in advance as basic security training does not cover most aspects of actual, hands-on securit work
    14 hour+ days with awful overtime

More transparency, treat your employees with respect, and pay them what they deserve. They deal with a lot of situations and don't get paid nearly enough.

So unprofessional, they completely under look great leaders

Former Employee - Screening Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Screening Officer in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at Garda World Security full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is the only reason people stay
    hours are brutal beyond words
    clicky lots of groups
    the managment sells drugs

Cons

opps those were as nice as pros can be...
    clicks
    hours
    management
    disrespect

They explain away their incompetence and tactics as being due to their "Corporate Culture" !!!!!

Current Employee - Driver/Messenger in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Driver/Messenger in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ego massage for some employees yet the majority of coworkers are some of the most upstanding folks I have ever met. I felt that my back was covered.

Cons

The majority of the truck flleet are death traps and a risk to operate by the employees and a danger to the public !!
    Deceit and misrepresentation is the operational business model of Garda. They will lie and cajole in every manner possible to not reimburse employees for expenses they incur that are outlined in the work rules I.E. costs of Licensing and certifications required for you work, being paid under the employee referral program, recognizing and properly paying holiday hours and denying benefit reimbursements. All done BTW to pad the branch budget.
    The company does not pay its bills in any sort of timely manner so mechanics liens get filed against their trucks that they get repaired by outside shops, simple operational support supplies go either unordered or not delivered for months. Management seems to have no eye for organization and cleanliness. COMPANY RULES, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES ARE IGNORED AT THE WHIM OF MANAGEMENT. There is no level playing field to allow an employee to have a handle on what is right or wrong but be forever ready to be disciplined if YOU mess up !!! Management does a stellar job of covering each other's tails.

Have some engaged area management that travel and are directly involved in supervising your field operations and listening to the concerns of the Driver / Messengers. Your Branch Managers and the associated Operations managers in the branch network are a patchwork of folks who have reached their level of incompetence and they basically have no direct oversight other than conference calls.

Desperately needs to change

Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Garda world was not what I expected. They have more in common with Burger King than security or law enforcement

Cons

Its fedex with a gun, without fedex pay, and without fedex union representation... nothing more needs to be said.

Join at your own peril

Stop neglecting your associates.

One of the worst rated Armored Car Companies on Glassdoors..... For a reason

Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Armed Guard/Driver in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to work outside far away from the office.... which is a great thing to me
    Get to wear a gun and a uniform that holds a symbol of responsibility and respect
    Company at one point hired great people to work with... those days are gone.

Cons

Garda simply doesn't care about their employees or the plights they put them threw. Garda only seems capable of making decisions and policies that are debilitation to staff moral and capabilities.

At 10.00 dollars an hour with no chances of a fair raise or overtime.... many employees only stay for a year. Meaning heavy company turnover and you will have to constantly parent the new guy on top of your heavy work load.
    To add to the negativity training is not really there, so you will be lucky if you ever get anyone who is an actual professional.

Most employees who stay longer than a year feel stuck and act just like Garda... They do everything they can to exploit time, new hires, and the company so that they can have something positive. Meaning they pimp time, make the new guy do the hard work, make others take the liability, take hand outs from clients, ect.

At 10.00 dollars an hour if the fast food industry is successful in increasing their pay rate to 15.00, I am sure I will quit to go flip burgers. And I am sure Garda will struggle to keep anyone working for this company.

All and all after working for Garda as long as I have I am truly disgusted with how they do business and what they find to be "acceptable."

Here some advice look at employment here as a last option.

You have got to start making some positive changes that affect us.

Corporate executives don't know how to stop companies hemorrhaging of talent.

Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Armed Driver/Guard in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Garda World Security full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great watercoolers
    Get a taxable income
    You get to look somewhat like law enforcement just in a lesser form

Cons

Pay which doesn't amount to the risk or long long long hours you will put in
    No overtime.. Thanks Department of Transportation for defining us as over the road truck drivers.
    Training is not a priority
    Horrible schedules
    Punished with more stops or additional work for being in early
    Equipment that is comparable to a boat with holes
    Management who have never done our job and have no idea how their ignorance affects our accomplishments of our duties.
    Cruddy communication from management
    Not many opportunities to move above branch manager, since those jobs go to ex-bankers: who obviously have so much military/logistic/ and law enforcement experience they are clearly the RIGHT PEOPLE for the job...

Which with actions speaking louder than words would tell the competent guard/driver that.... Garda World Executives for them little.

This is why no one I work with views Garda as a home or life choice
    This is why everyone uses the job as a stepping stone
    This coupled with Garda's questionable managerial style has led to a work environment of constant turnover where your lucky to work with anyone who actually knows what they are doing.

You need to do undercover boss for a year that would open your eyes.

You have good employees and you neglect us.