Gartner Reviews

Updated 12 September 2014
4.0

Gartner CEO and Director Gene Hall
Gene Hall

Pros
  • Pooled vacation / sick day allowance which allows for great work-life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Gartner employs a lot of smart people which make it an exceptional environment to learn and grow (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Talks a good game for work-life balance, but many Account Executive jobs require round the clock work (in 16 reviews)

• Most promotions are internal , which means that middle management is not always best in class (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Love the culture. Love working for Gartner

Current Employee - Field Sales  in  Mumbai
    Current Employee - Field Sales in Mumbai

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very result-recognition oriented. Awards high performance
    Super brand
    Invests on the employees
    Great culture - low on politics

Cons

Not the easiest environment for average/low performers and therefore ends up having "bitter leavers"

Continue to keep an eye on the ground reality

Unprofessional and political

Former Employee - Research Director  in  Bangalore
    Former Employee - Research Director in Bangalore

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work out of home is the only attraction but offsets with other negatives

Cons

Half backed analysts who do not have practice experience and keep playing g with words

Do not learn from clients

Good benefits... but too slow growth..and confused management

I worked at Gartner full-time

Pros

good pay package and other benefits
    Work - personal life balance

Cons

very slow professional growth
    confused managers with non-competency.
    Office politics

na

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent organisation and colleagues in Gartner

Former Employee - Sales Operations Analyst  in  Bangalore
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Bangalore

I worked at Gartner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good learning experience in Gartner

Cons

Unprofessional and lack of planning by higher management

Good company to work for especially for females

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible timing
    Global exposure
    Good managers
    Good visibility within the industry

Cons

Office politics
    Slow growth
    compensation
    Lack of good leadership in India

"Sinking Ship-Abandon before it drowns you and your morals in life"

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Mumbai
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Mumbai

I worked at Gartner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are fresher out of college excellent opportunity to make money and if you are experienced candidate from a tier-B companies a "So Called" brand name Gartner would attract you.

Cons

If there is one organization that dis*ts me it has to be Gartner. Every Sales driven organization is aggressive, competitive and crude when it comes to performance no denial in that. But Gartner India is decomp* internally to the core.

Compensation & Benefits- If you manage to close business by taking your prospects for a ride with no concrete product or service, you will make money.

Work/Life Balance- Highly Male chauvinist driven culture. Go and speak to few current employees they would tell you the tale of work life balance.

Senior Management- Their last India H* was fired in a weeks’ time after spending 8 years in Gartner due to his excellent people management skills. I wonder why did they wait for 8 years.

Last but not the least 60% of their current sales force have floated their CV in the market, don't believe me, ask any staffing company which does sales professional hunting.

Its high time guys to get out of that shell which has crippled your spine.
    You are like that disgusting parent who when lose their child tell each other "don't worry dear, we will make another one "

Absolute fantasic place to work !!

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Mumbai
    Current Employee - Vice President in Mumbai

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

A true sales organization.
    Reward & Recognition oriented
    growth opportunities are ample and rewarded fairly

Cons

Brand visibility could improve in certain markets

Gob Bless Gartner India

Current Employee - Accounts Executive  in  Mumbai
    Current Employee - Accounts Executive in Mumbai

I have been working at Gartner full-time for more than a year

Pros

excellent brand name
    opportunties to interact with industry leaders
    great compensation
    respect in industry

Cons

India leadership team is bunch of jokers
    no help provided to sales team by managers and regional head
    regional head and managers waste their time discussing strategy rather than being on field.

change India management team and see the India sales team go high and high. Great talent but all wasted.

The overall experience made me learn on how to grow my business as a franchise. The management was a disappointment.

Former Employee - Accounts Executive  in  Mumbai
    Former Employee - Accounts Executive in Mumbai

I worked at Gartner

Pros

Trust Bases Relationships with clients
    Grow business and territory as your own franchise
    Good compensation plans

Cons

Management's leadership skills
    Internal perception on an individual's future and leadership skills based on what your reporting manager feels, and not on performance
    India head has no background of real sales so all is based on mindset and perception

An individual's growth in the company is based on the manager's decision alone. Its not even performance.. This allows managers to have biased attitude towards certain individuals which even the India Head relies on.. which is shame as it increases politics and more people leave the company which means more clients and business loss

Their upfront investment in their sales people is like nothing I've ever been a part of-

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Gartner full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have 20-years in I/T...16-years with a large "blue" organization who for good reason, prided themselves on their sales training. After recently returning from Gartner's 5-week long Field Academy and spending weeks away from my family...I can say with confidence that an entirely new standard has been set with respect to sales training. Beyond products, the training leveraged best practices in value selling and the real-life leveraging of nearly all of our internal systems and resources. Every person walked into that training endeavor with relatively zero understanding of the enormity of Gartner's offerings, aside from a Magic Quadrant or Hype Cycle. Coming out, we not only had a clear understanding of our value, we had the ability to immediately own a territory, run our business, leverage our people and systems, and provide immediate value for our future clients. If it sounds like I drank the Kool-Aid, perhaps I did...but as many years a professional seller, I cannot envision a better company to have been selected to represent for the second half of my career. Class act - across the board.

Cons

Their training requires two weeks in Ft. Myers Florida, one week remote learning and ride-a-longs from your home office, then two weeks back in Ft. Myers. We were not permitted to go home on the weekends during those two 2-week spans. This made it difficult on many of us with families...especially the women with young children. The rationale here was not explained...therefore caused a certain amount of angst. We came to the assumption that this was intended to provide the opportunity to gather outside of the classroom and create bonds amongst ourselves - perhaps allowing us to create friendships and lean on each other when hitting the field. While this training regiment is mandatory, and clearly spelled out during the interview process, a simple professional explanation as to the rationale for not allowing us to return home on the weekends would have been appreciated. (Even if it was simply a cost-related travel decision) If in fact this was to create a bond, it probably worked, as some of the best memories took place over the weekends...and tears and man-hugs were-a-flowing as we prepared to depart after our graduation. That said, we were all experienced and successful sales professionals - explaining the purpose of the rules would have gone further than simply enforcing them.

The training regiment that you have put together is amazing. Continue to hire the best and brightest and and to make this investment up front. We collectively felt as if the 5-week investment shaved 6-months off of our ramp up time in the field. Work on the content of week 4...as we felt there were areas that were drawn out longer than necessary for the message delivered. During the other 4-weeks, we actually struggled to identify a single half-hour span that wasn't time well spent...impressive. While understanding your not wanting us to lose focus of training, we felt as if it would have been appropriate to deliver us our numbers and accounts in week 4, so that our planning activities, compensation models and pathway to to our objectives could leverage real data...and offer us an additional kick-start advantage.

Worked for Gartner? Contribute to the Community!