Genentech

Genentech Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Genentech CEO Ian T. Clark

Ian T. Clark

Pros
  • Good work-life balance, beautiful campus, co-workers are mostly nice and helpful (in 42 reviews)

• Employees get great benefits, though Roche prefers to save money by hiring contractors (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • It is hard to keep a good work life balance if the job is burning you out (in 43 reviews)

• After the merger with Roche there have been many changes that are taking some time to get used to (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Contract work

Research Associate (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsPros of working here is that you get access to top talent and technologies. Everyone here is so incredibly smart that a lot of ideas can be casually developed if you establish good relationships.

A lot of opportunities to learn and grow as well as get your foot in the door.

Beautiful campus, a lot of convenient services like dining hall and shuttles

An abundance of social opportunities hosted by the company.

ConsSeems like your degree does have some weight in your career development. People with masters develop their careers on one track while scientist do so on another. I think its rare for masters students to jump onto the phd track. Not sure about this thought.

Expectations are high and if you don't have the personality for it, the pressure could break you like an egg. Or a glass cup. Or a plastic chair for children.

Great Place to Work

ProsGreat benefits and nice working environment. There are a lot of learning opportunities as well. The people that you work with are very bright and driven to succeed.

ConsIt is a global organization and can be complicated to navigate.

postdoc fellow

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosa lot of opportunities to know about biopharmaceutical industry

Consno protocol or grants writing training

Advice to Senior Managementmore training opportunities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bio Tech

Proshours work well. its not for everyone. 3days/4days.

Consmoving up seems to be a long haul.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat all techs equally.

Great place to work

Training Manager (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsMostly good people and good perks, particularly in SF. Now that Genentech is part of the Roche group, there is more opportunities worldwide which is a good thing.

ConsNot necessarily good at getting rid of poor performers. They somehow seem to linger on despite inadequate performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities to move into leadership based on performance record, not who you know.

Project Manager

ProsThe people are well educated, well rounded, friendly and upfront and honest. There's no hidden agendas, you know where you stand.

The location is beautiful, there's hiking trails, the shuttles are convenient and on time.

ConsInequalities between regular employees and contractors. The differences in treatment is obvious.

Project manager

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat environment. Fantastic team. Have to be flexible and establish networking. Nice work life balance. Senior Management is great

ConsSlow upward movement. Constantly changing managers. Opportunities for career growth is very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat Company

Senior Clinical Specialist

ProsCulture, people, science, salary/benefits, innovation

ConsI can not think of any

Advice to Senior Managementkeeping hiring bright people and promote from within

Co-op Early Stage Purification

Co-Op (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe company value its employees and everyone is passionate about their work. It was a very nice opportunity for me to work there as a co-op student.

ConsI can't think of something. I was there only for 6 months.

Nice experience during quick stay

Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsAmazing products, teams, staff,compensation, perks, events and incentives

ConsI felt that there were lots of politics involved with promotion or advancing to a full-time employee from contract position

Advice to Senior ManagementEquality in the promotion process

Worked for Genentech? Contribute to the Community!