Generac Power Systems Reviews

Updated 21 August 2014

2.6

Generac Power Systems CEO Aaron Jagdfeld
Aaron Jagdfeld

A good group of positive people!

Former Employee - Technical Service Representative
    Former Employee - Technical Service Representative

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A good group of positive people, trying to make the best of a challenging market segment.

Cons

Their is a change in the culture happening don't know where things will end up, The Drive!

Watch your pace of change!

There is a reason for the revolving door.

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Waukesha, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Waukesha, WI (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great product and brand recognition in the market. For an engineer you really get exposed to the full product rather than working on 1 part of the generator.

Cons

Stuck in your position.
    EVERYTHING rolls downhill. They hire more and more management, but the responsibilities kept falling more and more on the lower level workers.
    Sales dictates Engineering and they do not allow for enough time for testing.

Promote from within!

Growing pains, but making progress!

Current Employee - Service Department Employee
    Current Employee - Service Department Employee

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Co-workers and boss's are very down to earth and laid back. If you do your job well then they will be more flexible with you. There are many opportunities for advancement and growth here. The company is growing at a fast rate, almost too fast. The benefits are pretty good and competitive.

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than other companies, and I have see a lot of turnover because of it. The company is going through growing pains and we are playing catch up. The computer software is very old and outdated. Many aspects of the company are run like it is 1995, they really need to get with the times.

Work to keep good employees and young talent. Also satisfy employees eagerness to advance and grow within the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Says they care...but they don't

Current Employee - Accounting and Finance  in  Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Accounting and Finance in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Finally upgraded decor and added a cafeteria. Lots of good people around.

Cons

1. No work life balance...in fact it has been said the balance needs to be towards work.
    2. Micro-managed
    3. Growth opportunities are few, they would rather hire from outside
    4. Low pay
    5. Not flexible on vacation time
    6. Against working remote
    7. No direction from management
    8. Certain areas are just broken (Accounting, IT, HR) Others are constantly re-structured
    9. Bad management from the top down
    10. No training

Act like the billion dollar company you are, promote from within, train properly, treat your employees with respect

Not a good work environment.

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reliable job.
    Generac makes some really cool generators and my job can be fun and rewarding.
    The people you work with will be nice and helpful.
    They'll hire you! Don't let a temp agency play you at Generac.
    This is a billion dollar company on the NYSE and there is potential for tremendous growth.

Cons

Many departments are constantly being "restructured". They use the word restructured because it sounds better then "these departments are unfix-ably broken".
    Interim manager after interim manger.
    There is a real us vs them mentality between hourly and salary employees.
    A lot of my co-workers and managers just wanted to keep what they had. No interest in getting promoted or improving things.
    I thanked my manager for giving me a job on her last day. She replied,"you had a pulse, don't thank me yet".
    They seem to hire to fire which is gross.

Be more honest with your employees. You are on the same team. So restructuring needed to happen but can we please get back to work.

Frustrating, and not what I was sold during the interview process.

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for less than a year

Pros

Potential for growth is great.

Cons

Poor benefits, no real push to create the change necessary to take the business to the next level. Upper management wants to create new processes, but won't fully fund the technology to create "excellence."

Spend some time at the businesses that are creating real excellence, then fund the program to use tools that really work.

Transformation from a family business that cared about employees to a billion dollars business that ....

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good opportunity for growth IF you are willing to give up balance of family work. Culture has changed for the positive. No more carpeting on the cubicles. Better atmosphere, meeting rooms and cafeteria.

Cons

Senior mgt asks for input and opinions but doesn't really care. New senior mgt that loves the big picture and doesn't understand what it takes to get things done. Will churn through people without hesitation. HR department is as cold hearted as the last WI winter. Pay us below average.

Get your personal wealth out and get back to caring about the people that are instrumental in helping making you look good.

N/A

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waukesha, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)

I worked at Generac Power Systems full-time

Pros

Growing company; coworkers willing to help you when new.

Cons

Company is set in its ways and is very slow in evolving; resistant to change. Very strict PTO and hours; looked down upon if you are not in the office until 5 each day. Poor company culture - there are no "what's in it for me" benefits. Employees come to get their work done and leave. There is no effort in building relationships with team members.

Immediate managers are not the problem - upper management needs to start changing the company culture.

Talk a good game during interview then work you to the bone.

Current Employee - Sales Support  in  Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Always lots of openings, due to constant turn around.

Cons

They talk about flexibility and family first during interviews but don't accommodate any requests once you are employed. You are expected to arrive early and stay late and without acknowledgement. Extremely draining atmosphere.

Be more flexible and accommodating to employees. Everyone has a personal life and most of us would like to see our families more.

Terrible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Waukesha, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI (US)

I have been working at Generac Power Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of overtime, a good job for someone who s single and has no family or no life!!!!

Cons

They preach soo much about family and all of that and they dont care, you have to leave work...dont count on leaving without getting crap about it. if you need off for a weekend or something for a family gathering...dont count on it either, you would have to use your occurrences, which is nice but you only have 12 to use so if something goes wrong....ya gotta use an occurrence...the leads dont care and they always get rewarded either way even when other employees complain. there is favoritism for sure, if you dont know anyone your pretty much gonna be on the chopping block at the company. they are already getting rid of the temps and anyone who hasnt worked there a year has to find a new job withing the company because its slowing down...work-life balance is terrible the line was on 12 hour days during the week and then 10 hours on Saturday with Sunday off. people have been harassed so many times by my lead that he has ben written up, sued, all of the above literally, and he still is working there, just because of the favoritism...this place does not care at all about you. the production supervisor used to go around telling people they are a dime a dozen and screaming at them and pretty much treating them like dirt....ya def a place you want to work....

There is none this place is gonna keep working but at what cost.

Worked for Generac Power Systems? Contribute to the Community!