Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated 15 October 2014
Updated 15 October 2014
2.6

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 10 reviews)

• They offered good benefits at the time (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 22 reviews)

• patient to staff ratio, management to focus on paperwork and not enough patient care (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, my 4yrs with the company was well spent. I had wonderful staff & co-workers.

Former Employee - Rehab Office Coordinator in Lancaster, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Rehab Office Coordinator in Lancaster, PA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The hours were consistent, the schedule fit nicely with my life. I enjoyed going to work because of those I worked with. Despite the facility we were stationed at wasn't up to par, the people made the stay more homey.

Cons

The conflict between nursing and therapy, whether it be scheduling or medications, what have you. Over the years, with a lot of hard work, it got better, but overall, that was one of the biggest challenges faced.

Listen to your employees. If you have a qualified, hard-working candidate, don't take them for granted. Showed them they are wanted/needed, i.e. raise, promotion etc. I think upper management gets too caught up in their PM meetings and such to have time for those who are actually at the home caring for the residents.

Solid company, good core values.

Current Employee - Clinical Admissions Director
    Current Employee - Clinical Admissions Director

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Corporate organization, structured and uniform expectations.

Cons

Cons are not apparent at this time.

Career growth and promotability is important.

Managing medical documents, insurance documentation,

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Courtesy, company hours and work assignments

Cons

under staffed, under manged and salary

Man

Employed with genesis for 14 years

Current Employee - Cna/Recreation
    Current Employee - Cna/Recreation

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work environment, staff are professional and provide quality care

Cons

high turnover with employees upper management need to remember employees have families and obligations also. that they are important too

show appreciation to your employees

Fair + overall

Current Employee - COTA
    Current Employee - COTA

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, great prescription benefit, good ceu free ones on website, training's available. A fair amount of locations, some good upper management staffl

Cons

Too high productivity, decreased to 30 hour work week, all you can take for a weeks worth vacation. Can work up to 40 hours if there is the need. Documentation on I touch difficult.

Decrease productivity rate, unattainable to give good pt care and not stress out your workers. I stay late all the time to write good notes and get my work done. Can't give good pt care if have to document all the time during the day- to make productivity standards!. Difficult getting answers from HR dept. Also way to long on hold if have IT problems.

Stable Place to work

Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Point Pleasant, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide in Point Pleasant, NJ (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a great, friendly staff. Work day tends to go fast

Cons

Salary and benefits are low

too much tolerance for underperforming empoyees and departments

Ok place to work

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Hampton, NH (US)
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Hampton, NH (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better than average wages, good weekend differential

Cons

Not enough staff. Upper management is unrealistic with patient to staff ration

If you don't overwork your staff by hiring a little more staff, you will retain the good ones you have because they won't be so overworked that they quit

I Lasted 8 months

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Agawam, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Agawam, MA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My co workers were very friendly and dedicated and good at what they do. Loved working with the patients in rehab.

Cons

You would think that a company of that size and stature would have it's act together. None of the equipment worked. You had to scavenge for functional basic health care devices. The management is very rigid with the scheduling; you have to cover any days you need off if it differs from your routine schedule. If you call out sick, they ask private ques tions regarding your health and if it's a weekend they will force you to work the following weekend to " make it up". The facility was dirty and there was a problem with bed bugs on one of the wings which management quickly swept under the carpet after they accused one of the CNAs of bringing the bugs from home and suspended him. They are very short staffed, and the CNAs are overworked and underappreciated. The facility failed it's state review. I was very well liked by my co workers and patients, always got good feedback from both. I never received my three month review, and after I tendered my resignation, there was no follow through or response to my request for an exit evaluation or letter of reference.

Get your act together and start to value and appreciate your employees. Perhaps then you will retain more professional staff.

You are expendable!

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sick time that can be rolled over, vacation that can be rolled over, pay scale is good, overtime if your productivity is high enough

Cons

If you want off, you have to schedule it months ahead of time or risk being denied, so although you get vacation, try taking it! Have to "cover yourself" during the holidays if you want more than 2 days off, so even if you take 2 days off, you only get one day, cause you're coming in Saturday or Sunday.

Constant shoving it down your throat about building med B caseload to "do what's best for the patient" but it's ALL about building revenue for the company.

Crazy productivity when you're pulled in all directions by the company and whomever you're contracted with.

Have to beg for materials to support therapy or buy it yourself

Documentation that takes forever to do, with conflicting information of what's required. People working off the clock to get caught up.

Therapy Programs are rolled out with NO follow through by management to actually implement them

Don't be fooled. It's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY for corporate.

Decrease the amount of upper management, get yourself back to the field, and see what it's really like in the trenches.

Company is very tight and over works their employees

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Kennet Sq, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Kennet Sq, PA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good paid vacation/sick time for employees.

Cons

Genesis is completely understaffed and has unrealistic expectations for thee employees

Get computers that work so the therapists and patients don't have to suffer through treatments with laptops that have missing keys and don't work.

Genesis HealthCare Photos