Genesis HealthCare

Genesis HealthCare Reviews

Updated 18 December 2014
Updated 18 December 2014
2.6

Genesis HealthCare CEO George V. Hager Jr.
George V. Hager Jr.

Pros
  • Good pay based on market, great staff to work with, love the patients (in 11 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good benefits and plenty of class available thru genesis U for free cause (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro-management on a daily basis from direct Program Manager as well as Upper Management (in 23 reviews)

• The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok place to work

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Hampton, NH (US)
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Hampton, NH (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better than average wages, good weekend differential

Cons

Not enough staff. Upper management is unrealistic with patient to staff ration

If you don't overwork your staff by hiring a little more staff, you will retain the good ones you have because they won't be so overworked that they quit

Employees not valued

Current Employee - Administration in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Administration in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare (more than 10 years)

Pros

Always learning and never bored.

Cons

Terrible Benefits even with many years of service. No appreciation for their employees.

Benefits reduced each year and now no longer providing short term disability.

Management has asked the employees to give to them over the last few years. Talking points always included: "just be glad you have a job" and "these cuts are making us stronger in our industry" Now your employees cannot afford any life and work part time to pay their lousy benefits co-pays.

Run from this money hungry company

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None! They talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

Cons

All! They sold their soul to the devil, if they ever had a soul. Top heavy. Cut hours, cut rate add on more job requirements and expect the high productivity.

Rethink your unfair policies. It is the therapists that make the company. Cut the dead weight at the top. Lots of therapist working their tails off for dead weight at 85%+ productivity which is really unrealistic

Welcome to hell

I worked at Genesis HealthCare

Pros

Good pay
    You'll develop charactor, as you try to keep your head above water
    You'll become knowledgable and proficient trouble shooting electronics, heating issues, and missing laundry
    You will know what you don't want in your next job, and when it's time to walk away

Cons

Poor staffing all departments
    Very focused on making a profit at the expense of the residents
    High turnover
    No staff appreciation- ever!!!

Treat people as you want the residents treated
    Hire enough staff to care for the residents, clean ( 1 housekeeper for 50 residents is no doable)
    cheese curls should not be a puréed food item.
    You can't pass off the rust surrounding the bathroom fixtures as burgundy paint
    Urine is never a pleasurable odor

I Lasted 8 months

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Agawam, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Agawam, MA (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My co workers were very friendly and dedicated and good at what they do. Loved working with the patients in rehab.

Cons

You would think that a company of that size and stature would have it's act together. None of the equipment worked. You had to scavenge for functional basic health care devices. The management is very rigid with the scheduling; you have to cover any days you need off if it differs from your routine schedule. If you call out sick, they ask private ques tions regarding your health and if it's a weekend they will force you to work the following weekend to " make it up". The facility was dirty and there was a problem with bed bugs on one of the wings which management quickly swept under the carpet after they accused one of the CNAs of bringing the bugs from home and suspended him. They are very short staffed, and the CNAs are overworked and underappreciated. The facility failed it's state review. I was very well liked by my co workers and patients, always got good feedback from both. I never received my three month review, and after I tendered my resignation, there was no follow through or response to my request for an exit evaluation or letter of reference.

Get your act together and start to value and appreciate your employees. Perhaps then you will retain more professional staff.

Avoid this company!

Current Employee - Nursing Department in Thornton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Nursing Department in Thornton, CO (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Caring staff that tired to do their jobs well, despite the lack of training and support from management.

Cons

The management are more concerned about the paperwork, than actual patient care. The only time they are around is to tell you your are doing something wrong. There is a very high turn over for nursing supervisors, the good ones are no longer here. Staff are tired and burned out.

Leave your offices and the smoking area and find out what is really going on with your staff.. Stop playing favorites. Attempt to retain the good nursing supervisors. Stop promoting people that are not qualified for the job.

Rehab - management

Current Employee - Area Director
    Current Employee - Area Director

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of resources available, large company with many growth opportunities, education available for staff, many different career tracks, expanding/growing business.

Cons

Systems are inefficient, decisions are made without input from the field, departments seem to be disconnected - right doesn't know what left is doing, not very strategic in planning and decision making, reactive, lost sight of staff and customers. iPods and desktops make documenting difficult.

Have someone at the top to guide all departments to ensure clinical decisions are compatible to operational goals and vice versa. There seems to be a lot of micromanaging happening and little discussion or input from those working in the field- get input. People will work harder and be more engaged if they feel like they are apart of it. There has also been a lot of changes in philosophy and planning - pick a strategy and stick with it for the long term, stop trying to change the focus every month with a new strategic report.

Company is very tight and over works their employees

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Kennet Sq, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Kennet Sq, PA (US)

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good paid vacation/sick time for employees.

Cons

Genesis is completely understaffed and has unrealistic expectations for thee employees

Get computers that work so the therapists and patients don't have to suffer through treatments with laptops that have missing keys and don't work.

Registered Nurse

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Genesis HealthCare part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Managers and NPs, generally friendly staff on the units. Pay rate is fair but not competitive in my opinion.

Cons

Not a very friendly administrative staff (Administrator, DON). I worked there for 4 years and received a 25 cent raise after my 3rd year.

Treat your employees with the same respect you expect.

Great people

Former Employee - Imaging Technician in Albuquerque, NM (US)
    Former Employee - Imaging Technician in Albuquerque, NM (US)

I worked at Genesis HealthCare as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I worked for a contract at the Western central hub, and there was a transition to Genesis from Sun.

Everyone at this location was professional, personable, and helpful.

Cons

Lay offs were just happening, so this was the main downside.

Open more positions for contractors!

Genesis HealthCare Photos