Giant Eagle

Updated 10 September 2014
3.1

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet
Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, job different everyday (in 17 reviews)

• I have worked for the company for almost 7 years as a part-time employee in the Eagle's Nest (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position (in 23 reviews)

• Lack of communication in lower levels of management (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Positive Work Experience

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Company offers growth opportunities and a well defined career path, depending upon your business area. Company also offers scheduling flexibility, work/life balance and good vacation package. My department values putting the right person in the right role and values employee feedback

Cons

Leadership tends to turn over frequently. Some managers are not natural people leaders or career coaches, which can make for a frustrating experience. Some high level leaders concern themselves too much with minor details rather than trusting the team to complete the job.

It was a job.

Former Employee - Dairy Clerk  in  Warren, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Dairy Clerk in Warren, OH (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

Pros

For the most part you are left alone.

Cons

Working by yourself, not getting to know anyone, cooler area was so boring and repetitive.

Allow them to work in various areas.

Cheap

Former Employee - Senior Programmewr  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Programmewr in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There's a lot of good solid folks that work hard there

Cons

Lack of leadership Monkeys and a football And employees are not compensated for their efforts

Stop peeing on their legs and telling everyone its raining

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The one I work at is amazing cause of the positive people.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Morgantown, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Morgantown, WV (US)

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than a year

Pros

In here you get a chance to succeed because managers are willing to do that for you.

Cons

Long working hours lots of customers.

Great management staff

Clerk

Former Employee - Clerk
    Former Employee - Clerk

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get multiple pay raises

Cons

We were always under staffed

Good Company

Current Employee - Front End Coordinator  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Coordinator in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For me, my manager was always very accommodating and worked with my schedule. If you prove to be a hard worker, show up on time, and do your job well, management will notice and more opportunities will become available to you.

Cons

This is not a problem with the company but more with other team members. Many people I work with do not like what they do, and this can show with negative attitudes and laziness. I don't believe this is Giant Eagle's fault, but rather the nature of the job. Dealing with customers can be hard, and while the always-changing nature of retail can be exciting, customers can be rude. It is important to maintain a positive attitude and not let others ruin your day.

Do more to show appreciation for team members.

If your looking for a terrible, wasteful career...work at GE

Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader
    Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get a paycheck every week, that's about it.

Cons

Where do I start.....I have been a manager or "team leader" as they call it for over 10 years. The company is a joke. They do not care about customers or anyone who works in the stores. They care about the bottom line, their profits. If you ever seen the commercial about the company being a family, it's a complete utterly lie. They have no advancement program for anyone. They will move you to a different store every 1-3 years, dorsnt matter how far it is, I was currently traveling 3 hours aday roundtrip and they dont give you anymore in your paycheck either. You have to know someone to even move up in the company, don't think hard work and dedication works...that's the mistake I made. You will never feel appreciated. Raises are once a year and minimal. Bonuses exist but are very miniscule (less than a paycheck for the whole year). I seen them fire people because they didnt like them because they had balls and said no. They vp says he doesn't care if you work 27 hours a day but you better get you work done. So there is no work life balance, you can't take a weekend day off. You will work a lot of nights and mid shifts. They continually think they are the only game in town, I was told that several times. Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management. The CEO doesnt know how to run this company (what's left of it)

You are not "the only game in town". Customers and employees know that...stop thinking they don't. Running double fuelperks is retarded, everyone just wants lower prices for the same food you get at Wal-Mart, shopnsave, aldis, and foodlion. Quit trying to get rich quick and put the money back in the customer pockets. I could go on and on but they don't care what I have to say or anyone else for that matter. You know that survey youhave on your rreceipt and you call in to give complaints? Yea we have meetings about it and they would read them and laugh (especially when a dozens of people would say "lower prices").

VERY busy, but not boring...

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great job for anyone considering any career in the medical field. You quickly learn prescription language, insurance policies, drug names, etc. Fairly flexible schedule and hours. Ability to pick up extra hours if desired. Pharmacy managers are pharmacists and most have been fair, knowledgable, and willing to teach technicians.

Cons

The pharmacy is SO busy. Customers expect the same "rules" that apply in the grocery store apply in the pharmacy. Customers can be frustrating. They think the drive-thru should fill prescriptions as quickly as McDonalds makes cheeseburgers...
    Also, they offer tuition assistance after you work there for one year which is great, but when I applied after a year they denied me due to "budget cuts." This was the ultimately my reason for leaving...

Make the stipulations for tuition assistance clearer from the beginning so that employees counting on that assistance are not let down when it is denied.

Good Company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Union, Perks, 10% Discount, Experience in Customer Service

Cons

Work and Life balance, Unstable Hours

Become more involved with employees

Experience varies depending on your store/manager.

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Depending on your position, it can be a very fun and relaxed environment. I made some really good friends in my three years there.

Cons

While I was there, corporate started changing certain policies that may have looked great on paper, but weren't in the least bit practical. Their "point" system for attendance was ridiculous. For not being part of a union (upper management would go on at length about how terrible unions were), they sure acted like there was one - terrible employees were never fired or disciplined, but those they could expect more from got the shaft all the time.

If you're going to be a manager, or in corporate, you should have to work in each department for at least one shift so you know what it's like on the floor. Otherwise the [good] employees are just going to laugh at your mandates and do their jobs the right way.

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!