Giant Eagle

Updated 26 September 2014
3.1

Giant Eagle Interim President & CEO Laura Shapira Karet
Laura Shapira Karet

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, job different everyday (in 17 reviews)

• Great work/life balance; ability to work from home when needed (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It is virtually impossible to get a full time position (in 23 reviews)

• Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience Daily with great people

Current Employee - Lot Attendant/Grocery Clerk  in  Brunswick, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Lot Attendant/Grocery Clerk in Brunswick, OH (US)

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than a year

Pros

You really become attached with your fellow team members. Yes there are difficult days like at any job and you will find people that you dislike but overall if you put in the 110% you get an even better return. For the people that complain about the amount of hours you going crazy! Almost everyone is part time workers and the part time works can't work more than 34 hours a week and 8 hours a day so your guaranteed nothing more because you work for a union grocer. I work on the front end so can't speak for other areas but every three months I get a raise, not a big one but after so long it does build up, and I am only 17 but each week I get money put towards a pension so if I work there long enough I can even get a pension from my first job which is pretty cool! Every month or so (maybe twice) we get a nice luncheon which makes you feel appreciated, and we have nice holiday parties. And for every month if you don't call off your in a drawing for a fifty dollar GE gift card. Lots of perks for workers, especially if your a hard worker your work is appreciated so much more

Cons

The first three months are the hardest to get through, you start out at minimum wage so it is depressing and on top of that you have to pay union fees and fees to join the union and they will lower you paycheck quick! But it is for just the 90 day probation period then you don't have to pay silly initiation fees anymore. Another big downside is your working with the public and you know that when you work with the public it is difficult but if you can control yourself and not let these people get to you then you will be just fine. Not really any major cons to the job, you just have to have a good work ethic and a good attitude and you will be treated great at Giant Eagle.

Management, if you could please just always show employees how much you really appreciate them then your employees will become so more efficient and happy within the workplace.

Sales Clerk

Former Employee - Deli Sales Clerk  in  Gibsonia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Deli Sales Clerk in Gibsonia, PA (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to move up to management.

Cons

compensation, attitude, lazy work environment, uneducated co workers

Very good company overall

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time

Pros

Many of the stores are unionized, get lots of raises, truly care about the employees
    Very lenient with leaves -- personal, medical, schooling

Cons

Most promoting is based on experience
    Working in a grocery store or customer service in general is annoying

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Started out great, ended up "meh."

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flex time was great, partial work from home was awesome, regular merit increases, company-wide performance bonuses were a great perk.

Cons

IT Management didn't buffer work requests from Marketing. Continually moving the goalposts made it impossible to not be in crisis mode all the time. Work from home is taken away depending on projects, whether or not you're collaborating with other developers.

Good company,making cuts currently

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Warrensville Heights, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Warrensville Heights, OH (US)

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun environment, meet a lot of people

Cons

Making cuts, So salary is just assumed to work more

work-life balance is not functional. Upper management aka district etc. does not care if salary works for weeks without day off.

Giant Eagle Review

I worked at Giant Eagle

Pros

Company values, family-oriented, structure-based, opportunistic, friendly

Cons

Expensive, promotions, seasonals, perks, management

Positive Work Experience

I have been working at Giant Eagle

Pros

Company offers growth opportunities and a well defined career path, depending upon your business area. Company also offers scheduling flexibility, work/life balance and good vacation package. My department values putting the right person in the right role and values employee feedback

Cons

Leadership tends to turn over frequently. Some managers are not natural people leaders or career coaches, which can make for a frustrating experience. Some high level leaders concern themselves too much with minor details rather than trusting the team to complete the job.

Good Company

Current Employee - Front End Coordinator  in  Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Front End Coordinator in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Giant Eagle part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

For me, my manager was always very accommodating and worked with my schedule. If you prove to be a hard worker, show up on time, and do your job well, management will notice and more opportunities will become available to you.

Cons

This is not a problem with the company but more with other team members. Many people I work with do not like what they do, and this can show with negative attitudes and laziness. I don't believe this is Giant Eagle's fault, but rather the nature of the job. Dealing with customers can be hard, and while the always-changing nature of retail can be exciting, customers can be rude. It is important to maintain a positive attitude and not let others ruin your day.

Do more to show appreciation for team members.

Can't trust this place AT ALL.

Current Employee - Human Resources  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time

Pros

Not a single thing...not one.

Cons

"The needs of the business" supersedes all else, especially the workforce.

Absolutely no discernible career path, or rhyme or reason for promotions/raises. if you are a family member, legacy, or have been there for over 15 years, they just make up a new position. If you don't fit into that class - sorry, no dice!

High performers that truly innovate the way the company does business do not receive credit for contributions. Instead, those in power take the public recognition and pass off the idea as their own. Ideas and contributions are only valued if it directly ties to making more money for the stakeholders (the 5 founding families).

The Talent Development process is a joke, pure and simple. Skills and competencies only reflect ways that Team Members can be more valuable to the company, not to actually develop them as professionals.

The needs of Team Member to help them perform their job efficiently, effectively, and to the best of their ability takes a clear back seat. Merit increases are completely arbitrary as well as the performance review process - it's actually used as justification as to why they shouldn't pay you more. Only the top executives are ranked 5/5, everyone else defaults to 3/5 or lower. They actually stopped asking how we feel about benefits or compensation because they were never serious about improving Team Member outlook in these areas.

Do yourself a favor and stay away.

Instead of being hypocritical by shifting the sole responsibility for performance onto individual Team Members by telling everyone to not blame others for our shortcomings, actually invest in your workforce. Taking care of your people should be the number one priority, not increasing your bottom line and cutting costs to the bare minimum at any cost. Turnover is one of the largest sources of wasted expenditures, and it's a problem that is completely in your control to change. All you have to do is stop being fake and actually walk the talk. Perhaps you could start by following the Code of Ethics.

If your looking for a terrible, wasteful career...work at GE

Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader
    Current Employee - Grocery Team Leader

I have been working at Giant Eagle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get a paycheck every week, that's about it.

Cons

Where do I start.....I have been a manager or "team leader" as they call it for over 10 years. The company is a joke. They do not care about customers or anyone who works in the stores. They care about the bottom line, their profits. If you ever seen the commercial about the company being a family, it's a complete utterly lie. They have no advancement program for anyone. They will move you to a different store every 1-3 years, dorsnt matter how far it is, I was currently traveling 3 hours aday roundtrip and they dont give you anymore in your paycheck either. You have to know someone to even move up in the company, don't think hard work and dedication works...that's the mistake I made. You will never feel appreciated. Raises are once a year and minimal. Bonuses exist but are very miniscule (less than a paycheck for the whole year). I seen them fire people because they didnt like them because they had balls and said no. They vp says he doesn't care if you work 27 hours a day but you better get you work done. So there is no work life balance, you can't take a weekend day off. You will work a lot of nights and mid shifts. They continually think they are the only game in town, I was told that several times. Everyone in the company is miserable with upper management. The CEO doesnt know how to run this company (what's left of it)

You are not "the only game in town". Customers and employees know that...stop thinking they don't. Running double fuelperks is retarded, everyone just wants lower prices for the same food you get at Wal-Mart, shopnsave, aldis, and foodlion. Quit trying to get rich quick and put the money back in the customer pockets. I could go on and on but they don't care what I have to say or anyone else for that matter. You know that survey youhave on your rreceipt and you call in to give complaints? Yea we have meetings about it and they would read them and laugh (especially when a dozens of people would say "lower prices").

Worked for Giant Eagle? Contribute to the Community!