Gildan Activewear

Add Photos

Gildan Activewear President, CEO, Director Glenn J. Chamandy

Glenn J. Chamandy

Excellent environment to learn

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsTruly international company, excellent place to learn, enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.

ConsCompany has grown very quickly and some of the work processes still have some catching up to do.

Gildan

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe only positive about this company is that they pay you.

ConsPoor ethics and poor morals. They do a horrible job running their business and they treat employees like crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your ethical practice. Poor job running the company.

Bought us and closed us

Auditor Pick Packer (Former Employee) Newton, NC (US)

Prosdidn't get to know them, short time with them

Consdid't have a chance to know

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the people working there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A grown-up family business with obviously inadequate staff

IT Administrator (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsI think the only thing I like is the office location!

ConsWhere to start? I have joined 1 year ago and I can't believe I am still there. I should have refused the offer since I was so unimpressed by the whole hiring process, started with the HR manager not having read my Resume and making me feel inadequate (why did she call me for an interview then?) and then making a low-ball offer a few days afterward which was increased by 20% upon my obvious counteroffer (hint, hint! Do not take right away their first offer!).
    When joined I stayed without a workstation for 15 days, and working in IT you may understand what handicap that is. Basically I was paid to do nothing for 2 weeks.
    When fully setup I understood quickly the mess I ended up into. The company has grown too fast and their processes are frankly slightly above of non-existing. The worst part is that the management does not fully realize what that means and think that as long as profit comes the company is doing well (I witnessed this way of thinking from the beginning and it has not changed so far). It shows how management is composed by non-trained people who have no long-term vision at all. How those are selected into key position is no mystery once you understand that this company is manager as a family business. Quick and dirty style. Grab and go.
    One of the most pathetic areas is the e-commerce site (for the US market) which is a joke. Fortunately we deal with low-cost merchandise, so customers expectations are luckily low.
    Frequent overtime is requested to cope with unreasonable request or expectations from incompetent managers. Politics take you a long way in this environment, like in many other companies based in QC, unfortunately (and I am a french Canadian: I just do not like to hide my head under the ground).
    I have been on the look to move away for a while and I am glad I am signing a new contract soon. I definitely do not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove incompetent personnel from all areas, from HR to upper management. Unfortunately presently those are the ones setting the bar so low for the company. Productive, optimistic employee are frustrated and all on the look to move away. Do not settle for this mediocrity: the company can do much, much better than this and profits are now only a fraction of what they can be.

Ok Place

ProsLiving in Charleston is great

ConsManagement needs to listen to employees

opportunities but somewhat difficult/challenging environment

Prosgood manufacturing process, responsible to environment at manufacturing sites

Consdifficulties transitioning to new class of trade

Advice to Senior Managementneed to look long-term, understand that not all accounts are run the same

Effective Administration of all mechanical technical and human resource of the production floor

Knitting Production Manager (Former Employee) Choloma, Cortés (Honduras)

ProsMultinational company with grey benefits and growth opportunities

Conslong working hours. Plants run 24/7

A solid, international company to gain experience dealing with large retailers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Charleston, SC (US)

ProsThe Charleston location of Gildan puts you in one of the best cities in the countries. The job is a secure one and they offer decent benefits.

ConsThe is little room for career advancement and no performance incentives. The Charleston location has recently consolidated and acquired a new brand, so the company culture is not defined yet.

A learning experience day in and out, good or bad.

ProsWeekends off most of the year, unlimited over-time when available, three shifts to choose from, friendly team leaders and supervisors.

ConsHours get cut like gang busters, a high school-esque atmosphere

Growing company allows for a positive working experience and many opportunities to enhance your skill set.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- strong ethical values
    - great CEO
    - intelligent executives
    - the complex and vertically-chained orientation of the business structure allows for a challenging work experience (never boring)

Cons- a little disorganized for its size due to its recent rapid expansion
    - controls are also a little too tight for it's size, feels like a family-owned enterprise sometimes

Worked for Gildan Activewear? Contribute to the Community!