Gildan Activewear

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gildan Activewear President, CEO, Director Glenn J. Chamandy

Glenn J. Chamandy

A grown-up family business with obviously inadequate staff

IT administrator (Current Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time for more than a year

ProsI think the only thing I like is the office location!

ConsWhere to start? I have joined 1 year ago and I can't believe I am still there. I should have refused the offer since I was so unimpressed by the whole hiring process, started with the HR manager not having read my Resume and making me feel inadequate (why did she call me for an interview then?) and then making a low-ball offer a few days afterward which was increased by 20% upon my obvious counteroffer (hint, hint! Do not take right away their first offer!).
When joined I stayed without a workstation for 15 days, and working in IT you may understand what handicap that is. Basically I was paid to do nothing for 2 weeks.
When fully setup I understood quickly the mess I ended up into. The company has grown too fast and their processes are frankly slightly above of non-existing. The worst part is that the management does not fully realize what that means and think that as long as profit comes the company is doing well (I witnessed this way of thinking from the beginning and it has not changed so far). It shows how management is composed by non-trained people who have no long-term vision at all. How those are selected into key position is no mystery once you understand that this company is manager as a family business. Quick and dirty style. Grab and go.
One of the most pathetic areas is the e-commerce site (for the US market) which is a joke. Fortunately we deal with low-cost merchandise, so customers expectations are luckily low.
Frequent overtime is requested to cope with unreasonable request or expectations from incompetent managers. Politics take you a long way in this environment, like in many other companies based in QC, unfortunately (and I am a french Canadian: I just do not like to hide my head under the ground).
I have been on the look to move away for a while and I am glad I am signing a new contract soon. I definitely do not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove incompetent personnel from all areas, from HR to upper management. Unfortunately presently those are the ones setting the bar so low for the company. Productive, optimistic employee are frustrated and all on the look to move away. Do not settle for this mediocrity: the company can do much, much better than this and profits are now only a fraction of what they can be.

Bought us and closed us

Auditor Pick Packer (Former Employee)
Newton, NC (US)

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time for more than 8 years

Prosdidn't get to know them, short time with them

Consdid't have a chance to know

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of the people working there.

Ok Place

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time for more than a year

ProsLiving in Charleston is great

ConsManagement needs to listen to employees

Opportunities: Only if you are a well connected male

Manager - Finance (Current Employee)
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAs a large well known public company, working for Gildan will look good on your CV.
Salaries are generally fair - however there are large discrepancies between salaries of people at the same level. The salary is based more on negotiation skills than market rates (as such, they may be high if you can negotiate it).

There may be opportunities, however access to them will be based on your connections. (see Cons below).

ConsThe only way to access opportunities is to be connected to key members of management. The basis of the connection appears unethical (have personally been sexually propositioned by my boss, with no recourse, and was moved departments after advances were declined.
-Senior management is made primarily of people who grew with the company, who have no management skills. Any concerns brought up are addressed by bullying tactics. There are no avenues available to HR, as they also must abide by the request of Senior Management or suffer the consequences.

Turnover is very high (both from people leaving voluntarily, being bullied out, or being fired for disagreements with management).

Not a collaborative environment. It is a "yes man" environment.

This will be a good place to work if you are a polished male.

A lot is hidden from the CEO.
Note: Offices in the United States are better managed than the Corporate Head Office.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide training to management.
Mechanisms for grievances.
Have mechanisms for exploring the skills of your present employees, to see where they are under utilized.

opportunities but somewhat difficult/challenging environment

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time

Prosgood manufacturing process, responsible to environment at manufacturing sites

Consdifficulties transitioning to new class of trade

Advice to Senior Managementneed to look long-term, understand that not all accounts are run the same

Effective Administration of all mechanical technical and human resource of the production floor

Knitting Production Manager (Former Employee)
Choloma, Cortés (Honduras)

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time for more than a year

ProsMultinational company with grey benefits and growth opportunities

Conslong working hours. Plants run 24/7

A solid, international company to gain experience dealing with large retailers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Charleston, SC (US)

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time for more than a year

ProsThe Charleston location of Gildan puts you in one of the best cities in the countries. The job is a secure one and they offer decent benefits.

ConsThe is little room for career advancement and no performance incentives. The Charleston location has recently consolidated and acquired a new brand, so the company culture is not defined yet.

A learning experience day in and out, good or bad.

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time

ProsWeekends off most of the year, unlimited over-time when available, three shifts to choose from, friendly team leaders and supervisors.

ConsHours get cut like gang busters, a high school-esque atmosphere

Growing company allows for a positive working experience and many opportunities to enhance your skill set.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Gildan Activewear full-time

Pros- strong ethical values
- great CEO
- intelligent executives
- the complex and vertically-chained orientation of the business structure allows for a challenging work experience (never boring)

Cons- a little disorganized for its size due to its recent rapid expansion
- controls are also a little too tight for it's size, feels like a family-owned enterprise sometimes

Scan in the pallets that come in off the of the containers.

Material Handler (Current Employee)
Mount Pleasant, SC (US)

I have been working at Gildan Activewear full-time for less than a year

ProsGildan offers great Insurance Benefits and love the fact that we rarely work weekends and no holidays.

Conshaving to stand on concrete for 8 hours a day

Worked for Gildan Activewear? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Gildan Activewear reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Gildan Activewear CEO Glenn J. Chamandy. All 12 reviews are posted anonymously by Gildan Activewear employees.