GoDaddy

Updated 22 November 2014
3.2

GoDaddy CEO Blake Irving
Blake Irving

Pros
  • Great Benefits (Although it will take you at least 90 days to get them) (in 30 reviews)

• Good hourly base pay, good benefits if you're single (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Transitioning from the call center to corporate is extremely difficult to do (in 24 reviews)

• Though, given the amount of time it's been since I was there - that may have changed (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Challenging job, but great place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Support and Sales Representative in Hiawatha, IA (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Face it benefits are completely amazing. The atmosphere is positive and upbeat which makes work more fun even if you get some difficult calls. Everyone is incredibly friendly and welcoming. You have a great starting base pay and benefits from day one. They even offer adoption reimbursement which is huge benefit most companies don't offer. The have onsite catering at a very inexpensive cost.

Cons

The training period is rough. If you don't pass the test the first time in training, you don't keep your job, but it's all open book. After you take the test you immediately start taking live calls. This leaves you getting some pretty upset customers when you have to repeatedly put them on hold taking long amounts of time to try and find an answer. A little more hands in training would be awesome. You also don't have an assigned desk, so you constantly have to take your headset and other belongings home and back to work everyday. If you forget it at work, you run the risk of it being taken by someone else and have to pay for a new one. Parking is difficult, so definitely need to show up way early otherwise you run the risk of clocking in late.

First I'd like to say that I do love my job. I'm fresh out of Ranch and now working 2nd shift which most of the people on 2nd shift are newer. It does however make it difficult to get problem questions answered for customers due to the supervisor : staff ratio not being balanced. It's hard to ask peers for help when they too don't know the answer or where to look it up. More seasoned people around the newbies would be a huge plus. Also, it would be awesome to have our own set desks so we wouldn't lug all of our work stuff home and back everyday or leave it in our vehicles so we don't forget it. Oh, and more parking would be sweet. I show up 20mins everyday circling like a vulture trying to find a spot. :)

GoDaddy Response

Nov 10, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Benefits are an important part at any job and we definitely work hard to make sure that they enable people to be extraordinary and live passionately.

To the point of our training, we are
    ... More

Transformitive environment

I have been working at GoDaddy

Pros

The company is going through a great deal of change, with a new CEO and new management team. Much of this change is for the better, and covers everything with nothing sacred. This is great for being an agent of change and improvement.

Cons

With this amount of change, some of it is a bit much for people. Some are getting left behind.

Amazing benefits and atmosphere

Current Employee - Customer Development Team
    Current Employee - Customer Development Team

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GoDaddy has a great benefits package including a lot of vacation time and great healthcare. The atmosphere is very fun and energetic.

Cons

Working on the phones can be very draining and if you are good at sales it will be a pay cut to promote into a leadership role. It has changed a lot in recent years and seems like the amount of micro management is going up.

The top talent on the phones is who you want to be teaching guiding and training newer reps. It does not make sense for them to take a massive pay cut to promote.

Gidaddy

Current Employee - Customer Care Lead in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Lead in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay good perks good people

Cons

No real cons. I've been happy here.

was sad to go at first, now i see it was my ticket to better opportunities ahead

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Gilbert, AZ (US)

I worked at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

started out as a great company, the owner truly cared although really had no clue about software development. It was a good place to work. learned a lot about large scale development.

Cons

owner sold out, all of the things that made good company to work for started disappearing, a lot of people who worked there for a long time really got screwed in many ways. Along came the investors, and it was all about the numbers game. Many products where cancelled, people were secretly either forced out "you have 30 days to find a new job" or let go. Their main goal was do it under the covers and they made employees sign documents saying they would not discuss any of this, or would not get any severance. They then started hiring younger folks, willing to work more hours for less. The new building has things like a skate park, slides, and go karts, so take a guess what age range they are targeting for that

nothing, the damage is done.

How you are treated depends on the department you work in.

I worked at GoDaddy

Pros

As a developer, you will work in the new facility with beer on tap, a skate park, basketball court, weight room, a slide, and all kinds of other amenities.

Cons

As a member of a department that physically supports the server and network infrastructure, you will get bare bones staffing, stacks of tickets, layoffs, no chance to use earned vacation, and a looming sense of "who's getting fired next? ".

Think about the consequences of your decisions. When you hire a new manager that tells the entire department that they have almost twice as many people as the budget can afford (even though the company can afford a new building with the above mentioned amenities), and then promptly fires three people, and as a result nobody remaining can take vacation time because there is nobody left to work the shifts (because we didn't need them, remember) unless the few people that are even able to work the shifts due to their schedules volunteer to work overtime, people are going to leave.

Take our feedback. Even if you don't use our feedback, try to pretend like you care what we have to say. For example, when launching a new platform from the ground up, don't make the same mistakes that were made in the previous platform. We could have told you how to do things much more effectively.

GoDaddy has almost everything it needs to be a fantastic company for everyone. The only exception is the right decisions to make that happen. I understand why things are being done the way they are, but in following the norm, this strategy is serving a very short term goal and does not have a the long-term well being of the company or employees in mind at all. With a decent amount of effort, you could make the right decisions and make GoDaddy into a company that is ACTUALLY great, instead of just appearing to be a great company.

I was excited and proud to be a part of GoDaddy up until the last year, so it's especially disappointing when I see it turning into what it is becoming.

"WAS" a great company!

I have been working at GoDaddy

Pros

1. Some great employees haven't been let go or fled the company.....yet.
    2. Free healthcare if you're single but for salaried employees they lowered the quality of the health plan offered.
    3. Employee outings.
    4. Free coffee.

Cons

1. Unlimited vacation policy that more often than not translates to less time off...and there is no vacation day carry-over.
    2. Tenured employees just disappear with rumors of them being forced out.
    3. There isn't much independent thinking in upper management.
    4. IPO is senior level management's priority. Unfortunately it only really benefits them.
    5. HR presents all employee benefit cuts as a good thing for employees. LOL!
    6. Employees are worried about losing their jobs.
    7. Meeting, meeting, meetings and more meetings but less communication.
    8. Low morale in many departments.
    9. Hard to be motivated when benefits are cut and the threat of being let go is constant.

There is no point giving advice because the management doesn't listen. Just because HR send out an email saying they listened doesn't make it so.

Great Experience, Stressful, Excellent Learning Experiences.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Been at GoDaddy for over 5yrs and it has been a great learning experience for sure. Benefits are awesome and the people are great as well. Plenty of opportunities to learn all kinds of new technology. GoDaddy has been very good on training and continuing education benefits.

Cons

Growth here is difficult, as that when people into certain positions that makes it very tough to move into something else cause they tend to stay there for a while. Work life balance isn't too bad, expect a lot of on call and some late nights when things have to be fixed or updated. The job can be stressful at time, but the end it pays off. GoDaddy expects a lot from it's employees for sure, "Work Hard, Play Hard"

More focus on career advancement and opportunities, seems over the past few years it has been way more difficult to move up or into something more challenging and people tend to languish in a dead end position with no hopes of moving forward, this results in people looking for other jobs elsewhere and we lose good seasoned talent at that point.

GoDaddy Response

Oct 21, 2014Customer Care Talent Acquisition Director

Thank you for the great feedback about career-pathing. We hear you loud and clear and are working to improve our internal career development programs.

Exciting work, great people

Current Employee - Database Administrator
    Current Employee - Database Administrator

I have been working at GoDaddy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What's great about GoDaddy is the scale of everything. Everything is big, complicated, and built to be reliable. There is no better place to perfect your technical skills.

Cons

This is a very demanding job, and the hours are intense.

Engineering on call rotations are too short and exhausting.

Great Internship experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA (US)

I worked at GoDaddy as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The sunnyvale office has many amenities available for you and the work environment was also very relaxed.

Cons

I didn't have any problems with my internship it was pretty fun.