Gold Buyers at the Mall

Be The First To
Add Photos

Danny Baruch

An "okay" first Sales job

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Springfield, OH (US)

ProsFlexible hours, quality store managers, fantastic starting job in sales without a degree.

ConsHourly pay is minimum, and managers only get paid slightly more. Commission structure is a joke, and even top sales will not generate more than 20% added revenue.
    Layoffs when spot price of gold diminishes, constantly changing markets.
    Minimal benefits, No Vacation offered, Minimal internal growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlyers are not an efficient conversation starter. Regional managers are too hands on, Store managers should affect sales reps more.

Very hectic and unrealistic expectations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNever a dull moment, worked with some great people both in the field and at the corporate office

ConsVery "fly by the seat of your pants" mentality. Majority owner is very inexperienced in running a business and makes whimsical decisions not entirely based on facts but more based on emotion and looking at very limited data. Many of the managers I met, both district managers and upper-level managers, managed through fear and through bullying.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the majority owner out of the decision making process as much as possible if you want to turn it around and succeed.

It was ok but could have been better

Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

Prosworked in the mall so you got discounts to alot of places, met very interesting people and alot of tourists

Consnot enough money for standing on your feet all day, commission was terrible, very micro-managed

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unrealistic

Store Manager (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsI had a chance to travel with the company, and as a GM really made some things happen.

ConsThey expect way to much for current market conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart looking at what your employees are doing for your company, NOT what the numbers are saying.

Gold Buyers At The Mall is a Great company to work for

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou get to offer people money for broken gold jewelry they will never use again. I've helped several people pay rent, gas money, extra cash for shopping and just the overall interaction with people gets them to smile when you make their day because they are shocked how we pay the most in the local area i work at. As a manager i get to work full time 40hrs a week and have a couple or Part Timers to help out.

ConsAs long as work hard you have a solid job and paycheck otherwise won't last to long here.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Contest and the "Original Black bags" are back they are the best. I think several of us missed them for a while keep this up and i promise our numbers will continue to rise. Thanks Danny for running a fun company to work for.

Great Idea, Poor Execution - Won't Be Around Much Longer

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt can be a fun job if you like the mall setting --especially if you get a storefront vs a kiosk to run. As a manager you'll get opportunity to win some extra cash with daily contests and you can usually hire a decent staff --may take some trial and error due to the large turn over rate of the part-timers, but eventually you'll find a couple people to click.

ConsYou will get little to no support from senior management --especially in larger districts where the District Manager is constantly running from store to store. The only advertising available is in flyer form, which the company blindly thinks is the answer to all your problems: don't have enough people coming in with buys? Flyer more! Doesn't always work since the malls really tend to be dead during the weekdays, and only really pick up Fri-Sun.

The company also doesn't offer direct deposit, as they cannot keep a large enough cash balance on hand to cover such a service. Instead employees get their paychecks on the weekend, and get to wait two days for the balance to show in their accounts after deposit.

The biggest con however has to do with the way this company is run. At one point, corporate bragged at having over 200 locations across the country - now the number is around half that amount. This is a business that doesn't forgive growing pains very easily. If a store has a good year, and a good profit margin, it's expected goals will go up the next year. Those goals will steadily go up until they reach a point that the store cannot meet those goals. Also, if a store with a proven track record starts failing due to poor management, common sense would dictate that you replace that manager with a better one and let them turn the location around. Unfortunately, the company (or I should say, the president) has no patience with these kinds of business basics. Even if the location in question is beginning to recover, it will most likely be shut down under the new manager due to the actions of the previous one.

This is a young company run by a young, inexperienced president who doesn't seem to understand basic business principles, or the concepts of growth and investment - and it shows. A basic Google search can pull up any number of lawsuits in regards to the company's business practices and labor violations. I predict that this company will continue to fail as the economy starts to recover. At this point most pawn shops and coin dealers can already beat their prices, and Gold Buyers doesn't have second-hand sales to fall back on when people stop bringing their gold to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne of the company's many mantras is "Lead from the front" --basically stating that it's management's responsibility to lead & inspire the workers into performing better. Well, how about actually doing just that folks? So far what I've learned from this company's "leadership" is that they only care about how much money the handful of the people at the top can make at the expense of those that work for them. Their full-time workers barely make a living wage and have little to no benefits with no job security. Maybe if their president had some real-world job experience when it comes to actually managing people, there wouldn't be such a high turnover rate at the managerial level. Basic economics & people skills would go a long way here.

Very Good Learning Experience About the Gold/ Jewelry Industry

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Babylon, NY (US)

Pros- Friendly Staff- Where I worked

- Mall environment based (Lunch was a short walk away)

-Treated in a professional manner. Duties included many managerial tasks, good communication between managers and staff

- Very Educational/ Sparked my interest in a career in Precious Metals

Cons- Hourly Pay vs Company Profits

- Commission structure not very appealing

- You do work in a mall

Very Unbusiness Like People Running This Company

Team Member (Former Employee) Monaca, PA (US)

ProsYou will almost certainly get hired if you apply! They are very desperate for people and have a huge turnover. If you are looking for a title jump you may get it here. I was with the company for three days and offered two different store manager positions.

ConsIn my store you are treated like a child. I personally have been in retail management for over 10 years now and did not appreciate this. There is very little that is organized, there are almost no procedures. You kind of fly by the seat of your pants and guess at what your doing half the time. The training is almost laughable. My "manager" seemed to make up the rules as she went along. My workplace was also very disorganized, no filing system, papers everywhere. Kind of makes you wonder when we are making copies of peoples licenses and collecting personal information. I would guess if they got audited they would not pass. I was also told by my manager that we are there to please the company, they are not there to please us. Believe me when I tell you that is true. They make no effort at all to better accomodate employees. If you like an well organized workplace this is not for you.

This is a pathetic ,greedy company.

General Manager (Former Employee) Vero Beach, FL (US)

ProsIt doesn't rain in the mall.You meet a lot of friendly people.It's a paycheck,if you can get a full one.

ConsAlmost every employee owes the company money,due to their pathetic bad buy policy,in which they
    don't have to prove that it was a bad buy.Even though you pay for it,they don't give you the item so
    you might be able to recoup your money,just like they did.You have to stand for many hours,and give out bags to every person who walks by.They run out of money regularly,and charge customers
    a fee to collect their money.Stay away,unless you are really desperate!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop your lying and your phoney contests,where there's no money,only bragging rights

sloppy management and training

Team Member/Gold Buyer (Former Employee) Daytona Beach, FL (US)

Prosits a paycheck.. but not a reliable one... the mall atmosphere was always interesting. The best part was meeting and getting to know regular customers and mall employees.

Consthe system is always going down.. which mean you can't do your job or be clocked in.. I was shorted hours and pay... The problems existed mainly at a district level.. poor management training..

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better training for store managers... evaluate how exactly you speak to the employees on a manager and team member level... give the employees a reasonable quota to meet.... commission structure is a joke..

Worked for Gold Buyers at the Mall? Contribute to the Community!