Goodby, Silverstein & Partners

Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Reviews in San Francisco, CA US

Updated Jun 07, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Goodby, Silverstein & Partners Co-Chairman and Creative Directors Jeff Goodby & Rich Silverstein

Jeff Goodby & Rich Silverstein

Pros
  • Excellent people and great Creative Directors (in 4 reviews)

• There are some great people working here who genuinely try to fight for work that's different (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no opportunity for women (working moms), no clear business priorities driving the culture, lack of prioritization (in 9 reviews)

• Work/life/balance can suffer at times but that's life at any ad agency (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights
37 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The luster is gone

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsHard working people. Very good about trying to represent the best work.

ConsLots of politics. Promoted the absolutely WRONG people to senior creatives who killed the culture of the agency. Many at the agency still living in the past glory. Layoffs and defections have left the place soulless and in a tailspin. Too many hacks and bullshitters at the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to the basics. Get rid of the worst apples

Looking back - a good company.

Art Director Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Great creative place
    - A lot of talented people
    - Can build your portfolio

Cons- Long hours
    - Typical agency BS

Junior Art Director

Junior Art Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsAmazing place to learn and grow. Lots of opportunity.

ConsLosing great talented people during layoffs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, great company, a little outdated...

Communications Strategist (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros-the people
    -the talent
    -the feeling of 'togetherness'
    -the work
    -the clients (big brands)
    -resume builder

Cons-badly run
    -management is weak
    -CRAZY discrepancies in salary. Hard working, valuable people not paid enough, whilst a lot of higher ups or certain titles get paid a fortune.
    -Terrible employee retention strategies
    -disorganized
    -not enough attention in the right places
    -politics and favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementI love you guys, but you need to work on employee retention. We are losing amazing talent due to silly reasons. We need better leadership here.

I love Jeff and Rich, though. What amazing people.

Long hours and little recognition, but amazing creative agency!

Interactive Producer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsAmazing people to work and collaborate with, dog-friendly culture, work with large clients on amazing advertising campaigns

ConsAccount teams can be cut throat, not very good comradery across teams, people don't seem happy within the org which leads to a bad work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementHave regular check ins with your teams and find ways to improve teamwork and collaboration on projects. Be sure that people are incentivized to work hard and have clear paths to grow within the company.

Overall great learning experience, mentored, and included - given real responsibility as an Intern.

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFlat organization, collaborative, very easygoing atmosphere. I felt like I could ask questions without penalty, and felt encouraged to explore ideas which were valued. Nice respectful and ego-free environment. Ego was not applauded. Everyone was nicer than any office I've been in.

ConsI found the city difficult to afford. It's in a great part of town but housing would need to be over 30min away if I were going to move there, because I'd be hired as a junior at this point in my life. As a senior manager or director it would be easier at higher compensation. The upper staff have no issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing. I can't express how pleased I was with the leadership at GSP.

Great experience, dying agency

Junior Designer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsWhen I was there - there were some awesome creative directors to learn from. The design director was also extremely talented and caring.

ConsThey grew too quickly and their process couldn't keep up. A lot of projects were derailed because client feedback got lost in the system. Was very frustrating to work around.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they've done a lot since I've left - analyzing their process and trying to eliminate redundancies.

Great opportunity to experience a highly creative agency

Account Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsVery creative, lots of opportunity to grow and experience a culture that values taking creative risks.

ConsYouth-oriented culture is both a plus and a minus; depends on where you are at in your life.

Great experience for early career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Great name on resume
    - Passionate employees (important for doing great work)
    - Lots of energy
    - An agency that former employees come back to (or at least it was when I was there)
    - Great benefits

Cons- Digital department was disorganized in early days I was there
    - Long hours when trying to prove yourself (but 'welcome to advertising', right?)
    - You can get winded from the short walk up the hill

Sinking faster than the Titanic

Interactive Producer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsLets be honest here, the name is great to have on the resume. Plus, it isn't the worst place to work, its actually pretty cool (in a limited context.) The office itself is pretty cool.

ConsPlace is a circus. Over worked, under-paid. Some "top-dogs" heads are stuck in the past from when GSP actually did good work, they need to come back down to earth because -here in reality land - people are jumping off this sinking ship. Those who actually made an impact - are gone due to either BOTH of the lay-offs this year (that was fun) or they themselves recognized the shenanigans and peaced-out for their own good. I cannot stress enough how much this place does NOT care about its employees. Its tough to watch sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementOh, there's management?

Worked for Goodby, Silverstein & Partners? Contribute to the Community!