Guitar Center

www.guitarcenter.com

Guitar Center Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Mike Pratt

Pros
  • Great discounts on gear, awesome connections to be made, and a new focus on the employee(in 30 reviews)

• Above all, the employee discount; especially when you can start getting things off of GAIN(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • It's minimum wage DRAWED against your commission(Fading)(in 27 reviews)

• The upper management is beholden to Bain Capital Partners(in 11 reviews)

Ok

Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYou get to work around the gear you love, and very talented musicians. The new CEO is awesome. Can be very fun.

ConsManagement hierarchy, pay system, workplace politics. Issues with not enough payroll. Sometimes you have crazy customers. Musicians are inherently weird.

Good luck

Sales (Former Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

ProsFun atmosphere, lots of gear to play with, coworkers are great

ConsPay is terrible, especially when managers snipe your sales

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the pay scale and bonuses

good company but not always

Customer Operations Assistant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsIf your musician or in school this place can be a great place to start off at. Great discounts on gear and decent health coverage.

ConsToo much Favoritism, If you wish to move up and get opportunities you kind of have to play to much games and be a little slimy.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the favoritism and if you say you are here to help actually help and treat employees concerns as serious and an unsatisfied customer who spends lots of money.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is what it is

Guitar Center Sales Associate (Former Employee) Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

ProsThe employee discount is pretty nice, you can make connections by working in a place frequented by musicians and various industry people, and it might be a way for young musicians to supplement their meager incomes from music. The veteran sales staff are good and knowledgeable people.

ConsThe environment is internally competitive, potentially making the staff into sharks. Unless you work in a high-traffic store, the commission system (which is going to be replaced soon) is pretty unfair - you get 10% of profit and 1% of sale, and if that amount is enough to exceed your basic monthly wages (which are barely above the minimum wage), your wages for the month are then deducted from that 10% of profit; sort of like you're paying them back out of your wages for the chance to truly get your commision, which ends up being a small bonus. Aside from this, the commission introduces petty politics.

Furthermore, in my store, I found too much of the management to be bullying narcissistic personalities. The store manager was notorious among some of the staff for being an intense and crass man who mainly cares about the numbers - a man who takes out the financial pressures that are on him from above, on those below him. To be frank, I felt like psych-ops games were being played on me and workplace bullying was taking place for my first 6 months or so.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to treat your workers with respect and try not to drink too much of the corporate kool-aid.

Good place with a few growing pains

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsMusic-related work with benefits, able to transfer around the country and have a job. Can pick up the next job you want by working here. Good entry point to the industry.

ConsNot much room to advance between the slightly more than minimum wage job and the MBAs running the place. Company has lost some focus from what it was as it went private. Lacks social media and web-based marketing savvy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's just a music store, stop trying to be everything to everyone with the products and sales every week.

Great place and vibe to work, but pay issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsStaff and customers usually great to work with, I have met some of my best friends from working at this place.

ConsWhile I worked at GC, they were trial testing new pay structures for our district. Our base was 7.25/hr and commission, but we wouldn't receive commission unless we faded our hours. It is safe to say by the end of the month, those of us in Guitars would barely be able to afford taco bell for lunch.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrong manager who is loved by his employees goes very far with the workers. Someone who is willing to do the dirty work, and lead his/her troops into battle.

Best work environment I have experienced.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Peoria, IL (US)

ProsThe atmosphere at Guitar Center is great. Despite the fact that the job can get busy, things are always laid back and comfortable both as an employee and as a customer. Service and product knowledge are the biggest parts of the job. Working for Guitar Center is great for anyone who loves music and wants to see people leave with gear that will help them do the same. Employee benefits are great as well (read gig leave).

ConsThe worst parts of the job are: old POS technology, when corporate mentality takes over management in store (tends to come and go), and the problem customers seen in any retail environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerks and benefits are pretty much where they should be. Availability for upward movement is well instated. One area to grow in is training. Product knowledge and cross training should be pushed a bit harder.

Get your gear and get out

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Raritan, NJ (US)

ProsDiscounts on gear are great, employees on the sales floor were friendly and like-minded musicians, can play guitar/keyboard when the store is slow, hour breaks

ConsHigh stress, commissioned job where you have to fade against the hours you work. Store managers are cooped up in the office running reports and going on call-meetings and don't appreciate what you do unless your numbers are good. Very high turnover rate for salesmen and constant micro-managing by upper management. Poorly outlined promotion path. Most promotions are twice the responsibilities for a 5-10% raise in your potential commission. If you're a department or assistant manager and you don't fade you are making the same or less than people you are in charge of. Also the company is buried under massive debt and has been losing money for a number of years.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure hierarchy, micro manage less, and show your employees you appreciate them rather than telling everyone that they are replaceable if their numbers aren't up to par.

Unprofessional

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Hollywood, FL (US)

ProsGood money if you put in the Work
    Amazing discounts

Consrude employees, sharks, unmoral, unprofessional

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the right thing for the right reasons, Learn professionality

Greatest rock and roll job out there!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPeople! Music! Cool gear! Every inventory delivery is like Christmas.

ConsIt's still a retail job with quotas. If you think you're gonna sign up and play guitar all day, you're gonna hate this job.

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!