H&M

H&M Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson

Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M was willing to work with my school schedule and kept it consistent for the most part(in 58 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • did not enjoy my environment overall and was very sad because I love H&M(in 53 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment which means long hours on your feet(in 20 reviews)

Great Learning Experience

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV (US)

ProsH&M as an overall company was great to work for. Excellent health benefits and amazing opportunities to travel and open stores.

ConsStore level management was a joke. Favoritism ran rampant as those with little skill would be promoted quickly due to their friends in higher places. Professionalism is near non-existent as management would gossip and act inappropriately on the sales floor often.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who can contribute to the success of a store and/or district, not people who are experts at "playing politics".

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Boring work but great if you're young

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

Prosgreat employee discount and the give you great benefits, the pay is what you would expect.

ConsThe work is overall pretty boring. Not a whole lot that was mentally stimulating.

Company with a lot of politics.

Part-time Sales Advisor (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThey can be quite flexible with your hours and you will usually meet some nice people there.

ConsThe pay is low and I haven't seen a pay rise for years. Some branches are really good to work in but some will be a nightmare. There are so many stupid rules to follow and a lot of politics. HR will never listen to any of your complaints you may have about the management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your sales advisers. They are the ones facing the customers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best companies to work for.

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) West Nyack, NY (US)

ProsI think the best reasons to work here is not only because of the numerous benefits offered to the employees but also simply because is one of the major retailers and are always on top of current and ascending trends

Conssome of the challenges might of been working with people that lack the same level of passion for the brand

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advice to be more conscious of who is being hired to represent the brand on the sales floor.

Fast paced environment where there is a lot of opportunity to move up if you want to stay in a store.

Department Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsOverall the company pays higher than average for retail and there is a lot of mobility in store to move up. You can be hired as a part time seasonal sales associate and become a manager in three years. There are opportunities to travel and support stores in other states and countries and all sales staff can earn vacation, wellness, and holiday pay

ConsOpportunities to move out of a store into district/corporate are few and far between and oftentimes depends on who you know rather than merits. Due to the nature of the fast paced environment that is constantly changing, people who are good at their jobs tend to not get as many chances to travel because they are needed in store too much. Schedules change constantly and you are almost always working weekends and nights. There is not enough security support for staff and customer issues especially during busy weekends and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to weed out people who have been in retail too long and who are not interested in developing new talent. Stop worrying about turnover and hold management to higher standards. District positions should not be for people who have failed in store and who nobody wants to work with anymore. It creates an atmosphere that one is punished for being good at their job while those who are difficult to work with get better jobs behind the scenes.

Great place to work while in school.

Part-time Sales Advisor (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsFlexible hours, upbeat and face pace environment. Great location, positive sales associates who are team players. Overall great working experience.

ConsNot much promotion potential unless you've been working there for a long time.

Good

Department Manager (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsPay is alright for what you do
    great vacation benefits to start off (3 weeks)
    benefits are alright as well

ConsStressful, seems like your babysitting staff sometimes as opposed to managing them
    retail hours can suck as well

A positive experience working for a mulitnational company.

Part-time Sales Advisor/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

ProsThe company help to increase and develop my retail skills widely.

ConsThe travel time to the store location was time consuming.

very good

Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosthe staff discount is good,lots of incentives such as extra week pay if the store reaches its target.
    Good teamwork and the pay is a little more than the other retailers. If you want to progress within the company it is easy to do.

ConsIf you want to profess then it is down to yourself to get noticed, you have to really push for it and work hard. You have to be a Jack of all trades here doing a bit of everything

Good place to work

Proshas great opportunities for internal growth. Is a rapid growth company and entering new markets often. the benefits here are unbeatable by any competition

Conschallenging at times to hit goals.

Worked for H&M? Contribute to the Community!