H&M

Updated 18 November 2014
3.4

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M is very flexible and only really requires you to have your weekends open (in 65 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • Trying to Run a H&M the size of 1/2 a Macy's on the budgeted hours of a Journeys shoe store (in 57 reviews)

• Poor work life balance (never a set or consistent schedule) (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Devil Wears Prada - but minimum wage.

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

H&M is without a doubt, a leader in the retail industry. Clocking in billions of dollars (BILLIONS) and securing second biggest retailer in the world...it's safe to say that it's impressive. There is a family oriented vibe that is hard to shake once you mesh with staff and management and that honestly is what has kept me for over the past five years. Unfortunately that vibe doesn't make its way past your Store Manager to your head office HR people or your Country/Area teams.

Cons

I know working in the "fashion industry" comes with it's characters and attitudes. But when you're working a minimum wage job and getting Devil Wears Prada esque personalities from your head offices, with ridiculous and relentless inabilities to make a SET desicion on how something should be done...it's exhausting and debilitating and takes away from the enjoyable aspects of working with staff and management on a store level that you actually enjoy. Our Area Sales Team for what it's worth...is disappointing. People have been appointed their positions based on favoritism and cliquey friendships. All in all it's comical to watch from a "lower level" standpoint and the people who don't get paid enough to bend over backwards for these people make me reconsider my position on moving upward in the company.

Though HIGHLY discouraged from speaking about it, it's a known fact that newer employees are paid more, and when the discussion of higher pay for employees who have long good standing with the company, we are brushed off and almost made to feel GUILTY for bringing it up in confidence (particularly full time staff who usually have a 3-5 year staying rate and have been promised growth with the company anyways). Disappointing when employees are welcomed to flex the open door policy. More like only talk when we want you to please and thanks.

I don't really have anything to put here because I feel there is a particular triangle scheme that effects everyone, and the manager mentality is a foreshadowing effect brought down from higher up. For all the investing this company does in trying to make a different approach in hiring, training, selling etc, it really needs to focus on what your newer staff and full time staff are feeling without making us feel like kindergarten kids who don't know what's going on. If you want elite management and people with entreprenurial initiative, show that you know how to treat your management that are running your stores, and that there is a healthy communication and atmosphere there FIRST. What sells motivation is something to look forward too. Unhealthy mentality and relationships maintained with your managers trickles down to the lower staff whether you want it to or not and that reflects on your turn over rates. Don't make it up to the staff to change turn over (we don't get paid enough for that thanks very much). We need the company to initiate the atmosphere that makes people stay. Not the other way around.

Fast paced, up beat environment. Many growth/development opportunities, decent training, diverse company, decent pay, high expectations, always changing, good benefits. Great values.

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome pay, work/life balance, fast paced, great values, good benefits, growth opportunities. Easy bonuses for part timers, Full timers, Sups, & visuals.

Cons

High expectations with sometimes little to no hours. Harder for SM's & DM's to bonus. Hard to keep one seasoned staff together because of all the growth, support needed, & transfers to ideal locations.

H&M is a great place to be if you are a Retail Lifer!

Former Employee - H&M Department Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - H&M Department Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and support systems that can be cultivated from within your location. As a manager you have the ability to push your own growth and development. Quality training materials are available and encouraged. Pay is very competitive compared to most large retailers. Excellent benefits and PTO that you can accrue. Generally a great place to be if Retail is your calling!

Cons

Training can be hit or miss, company policies have evolved over the past few years and has allowed training and development take an immediate hit. When training time effects the stores bottom line that is where the company makes cuts, contributing to training that can be less rewarding.
    Its retail, work life balance is okay, flexibility for vacation is quite good though..
    District team members can be un-responsive and distant.

Implement systems when they are ready for use and wont become useless for 2 months.. (there is no reason a company with all these resources should allow failure)
    React appropriately to new system changes. Allow for time to see success or opportunity, especially when your market varies greatly.
    Pay bonuses...
    Stricter policies would allow for better accountability for staff. Seven chances every six months for time and attendance is absurd.

In all honesty, there are always anomalies within a company this size, give it a try, it might be perfect for you!

One of the best retail place to work for

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Wayne, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Wayne, NJ (US)

I have been working at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

salary, hours, work life balance, co workers

Cons

fast paced, very hectic on the weekends

keep doing what you are doing

Visual Merchandiser

I worked at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees, company discounts, matching 401K, great healthcare benefits, vacation, great clothes, teamwork, relocation options, learn other job roles and skills

Cons

The top management refocussed the company's culture from happy employees making great sales and engaging customers to simply maximizing sales, communication, High employee turnover

Refocus your attention to listening to the concerns of employees in addition to maximizing revenue.

Seasonal sales advisor

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Auburn Hills, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Auburn Hills, MI (US)

I have been working at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone works at an even level including management. Can easily snatch up open shifts and extra hours if wanted. Recognition for good work.

Cons

Scheduled normally for 15/ week for someone with open availability, but asked to come early or stay longer with short notice

. A more solid filled out schedule instead of asking a couple hours in advance to fill shifts would be nice.

Fast, rewarding, stressful, ever evolving

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Upward movement in the company in an ever so fast expanding job. Lots to do and learn. Benefits are great

Cons

Really, really stressful. A lot to do with really low bodies to do them and even less time (hours)

Show appreciation to and award staff, they are the backbone and not shown gratefulness often.

H&M was a great company to work for

I worked at H&M

Pros

There are areas to grow within the company.

Cons

It's different at every store, but closing down for the night can be extremely difficult because there usually aren't enough staff members to make it successful

Department Supervisor

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Flexibility, amazing Sales Advisors, Benefits can't be beat.

Cons

Alot of times we(management) and district don't celebrate our success all we focus on are our failures and opportunities

Really build up your team. We are super loyal but we like to know we are doing a good job

Friendly, well organised, can be stressful

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Holiday allowance, 25% discount, special promotions e.g. 50% off two items during season change, incentive quarterly.

Cons

Can be quite stressful, especially if under staffed, very fast paced environment