H&M

Updated 24 November 2014
3.4

H&M Managing Director & CEO Karl-Johan Persson
Karl-Johan Persson

Pros
  • H&M is very flexible and only really requires you to have your weekends open (in 68 reviews)

• Great Benefits; Pay; Fun Co-workers; Discounts;Fast pace (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • You get bored of it when you've learned everything there is to know about H&M (in 62 reviews)

• Its retail, work life balance is okay, flexibility for vacation is quite good though (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting insight to international retailing

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at H&M full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Relatively easy work
    People are amazing to work with
    Stylish products
    Personal growth is slow at first but has been known to be faster than other retailers
    Diverse range of customers are being handled
    Challenging at times but satisfying

I think the biggest pro of working at H&M would most definitely be the people you get to meet and work with, such inspirational management and focused team members of course there are those who lack focus but on the whole they future of the store is looking very bright and I can't wait to see how H&M will change retailing and shopping in Sydney.

Cons

Pay Rates for junior staff
    Lack of professionalism from management
    Poor attitude to staff turnover
    Serious misjudgement of various situations
    Lack of organisation / too many people doing the job of one person

The main problem with H&M is the disregard of professionalism within both the sales floor and behind the scenes. When a company reinforces "Cup of credibility" and yet allows it's staff (both management and sales advisors) to act in a way that such "credibility" could be lost so easily, that's when people start to thing "oh yes this place isn't somewhere to be taken seriously" there's a difference between creating a fun environment and a unprofessional environment.

There's a line that management has to draw between being being professional and being "friends"

Treat your staff with a little more gratitude, essentially "bribing" your staff with assorted side benefits then telling them they should be grateful that they received such benefits does not do wonders for the image you're trying to convey to your own employees.

Acknowledge your staff and the reasons as to why they're leaving, you'd get a greater insight on what you're doing wrong to make so many people leave. Value and reward your staff based on their achievements not their age.

Stressful and a mess

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is better than some, there are some benefits, the clothes are pretty good and so is the discount.

Cons

Lack of hours, not enough people scheduled, the schedule was never the same week to week so you can't plan anything, the management was horrible and rude, my coworkers were often rude, no promotions unless you know someone (I asked for full time my entire time there and someone who was hired after me got it in a few months), the place was constantly a mess and took 2 hours to clean after, unbelievable stressful.

Listen to people! After my first month they took away the 'ideas box' that was in the break room.

Devil Wears Prada - but minimum wage.

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Advisor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

H&M is without a doubt, a leader in the retail industry. Clocking in billions of dollars (BILLIONS) and securing second biggest retailer in the world...it's safe to say that it's impressive. There is a family oriented vibe that is hard to shake once you mesh with staff and management and that honestly is what has kept me for over the past five years. Unfortunately that vibe doesn't make its way past your Store Manager to your head office HR people or your Country/Area teams.

Cons

I know working in the "fashion industry" comes with it's characters and attitudes. But when you're working a minimum wage job and getting Devil Wears Prada esque personalities from your head offices, with ridiculous and relentless inabilities to make a SET desicion on how something should be done...it's exhausting and debilitating and takes away from the enjoyable aspects of working with staff and management on a store level that you actually enjoy. Our Area Sales Team for what it's worth...is disappointing. People have been appointed their positions based on favoritism and cliquey friendships. All in all it's comical to watch from a "lower level" standpoint and the people who don't get paid enough to bend over backwards for these people make me reconsider my position on moving upward in the company.

Though HIGHLY discouraged from speaking about it, it's a known fact that newer employees are paid more, and when the discussion of higher pay for employees who have long good standing with the company, we are brushed off and almost made to feel GUILTY for bringing it up in confidence (particularly full time staff who usually have a 3-5 year staying rate and have been promised growth with the company anyways). Disappointing when employees are welcomed to flex the open door policy. More like only talk when we want you to please and thanks.

I don't really have anything to put here because I feel there is a particular triangle scheme that effects everyone, and the manager mentality is a foreshadowing effect brought down from higher up. For all the investing this company does in trying to make a different approach in hiring, training, selling etc, it really needs to focus on what your newer staff and full time staff are feeling without making us feel like kindergarten kids who don't know what's going on. If you want elite management and people with entreprenurial initiative, show that you know how to treat your management that are running your stores, and that there is a healthy communication and atmosphere there FIRST. What sells motivation is something to look forward too. Unhealthy mentality and relationships maintained with your managers trickles down to the lower staff whether you want it to or not and that reflects on your turn over rates. Don't make it up to the staff to change turn over (we don't get paid enough for that thanks very much). We need the company to initiate the atmosphere that makes people stay. Not the other way around.

A nice place for retail, but then there are favourites

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at H&M part-time (more than an year)

Pros

All I can say is that the employee rebate is just all so great. H&M is a challenging workplace, with a lot of pressure when traffic flow is high, and with a lot of expectations. You have to be fast, ready to do anything, to learn anything, and accomplish what you think is impossible (or nearly): so this is challenging.

Cons

For all I can say, maybe was it at the retail store where I was working, but staffing problems, and work hours were an issue. We were never enough staff on our floor and the result at every close would be disastrous. The mood wasn't positive nearly all the time, and our schedules were a mess. No one expected to get even a third of the shifts we would in winter. Cutting is common. Work hours are bad. And there are favourites to top it off.
    I worked here for some time over a year, and left.

No favourites? (impossible)
    Staff enough on all floors
    Give a minimum of hours
    Stop cutting at the last minute

Fast paced, up beat environment. Many growth/development opportunities, decent training, diverse company, decent pay, high expectations, always changing, good benefits. Great values.

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome pay, work/life balance, fast paced, great values, good benefits, growth opportunities. Easy bonuses for part timers, Full timers, Sups, & visuals.

Cons

High expectations with sometimes little to no hours. Harder for SM's & DM's to bonus. Hard to keep one seasoned staff together because of all the growth, support needed, & transfers to ideal locations.

H&M is a great place to be if you are a Retail Lifer!

Former Employee - H&M Department Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - H&M Department Manager in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and support systems that can be cultivated from within your location. As a manager you have the ability to push your own growth and development. Quality training materials are available and encouraged. Pay is very competitive compared to most large retailers. Excellent benefits and PTO that you can accrue. Generally a great place to be if Retail is your calling!

Cons

Training can be hit or miss, company policies have evolved over the past few years and has allowed training and development take an immediate hit. When training time effects the stores bottom line that is where the company makes cuts, contributing to training that can be less rewarding.
    Its retail, work life balance is okay, flexibility for vacation is quite good though..
    District team members can be un-responsive and distant.

Implement systems when they are ready for use and wont become useless for 2 months.. (there is no reason a company with all these resources should allow failure)
    React appropriately to new system changes. Allow for time to see success or opportunity, especially when your market varies greatly.
    Pay bonuses...
    Stricter policies would allow for better accountability for staff. Seven chances every six months for time and attendance is absurd.

In all honesty, there are always anomalies within a company this size, give it a try, it might be perfect for you!

One of the best retail place to work for

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Wayne, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Wayne, NJ (US)

I have been working at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

salary, hours, work life balance, co workers

Cons

fast paced, very hectic on the weekends

keep doing what you are doing

Visual Merchandiser

I worked at H&M full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees, company discounts, matching 401K, great healthcare benefits, vacation, great clothes, teamwork, relocation options, learn other job roles and skills

Cons

The top management refocussed the company's culture from happy employees making great sales and engaging customers to simply maximizing sales, communication, High employee turnover

Refocus your attention to listening to the concerns of employees in addition to maximizing revenue.

Fast, rewarding, stressful, ever evolving

Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at H&M full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Upward movement in the company in an ever so fast expanding job. Lots to do and learn. Benefits are great

Cons

Really, really stressful. A lot to do with really low bodies to do them and even less time (hours)

Show appreciation to and award staff, they are the backbone and not shown gratefulness often.

Seasonal sales advisor

Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Auburn Hills, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Advisor in Auburn Hills, MI (US)

I have been working at H&M part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone works at an even level including management. Can easily snatch up open shifts and extra hours if wanted. Recognition for good work.

Cons

Scheduled normally for 15/ week for someone with open availability, but asked to come early or stay longer with short notice

. A more solid filled out schedule instead of asking a couple hours in advance to fill shifts would be nice.