HNTB Companies

HNTB Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 06, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

HNTB Companies Executive Chairman, HNTB Holdings Harvey K. Hammond Jr.

Harvey K. Hammond Jr.

Pros:
  • "Good benefits and yearly salary evaluations"
    in 11 reviews
  • "I got to cut my teeth on some great projects and work with some great people"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "In my experience, the middle and upper management at HNTB are poor at managing people"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Extremely long work hours and no understanding from management regarding work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Thirteen years of evolution

Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA very strong sales approach and understanding of key clients. Office accommodations and networking/communication tools were high quality. Teams were collaborative.

ConsA revolving door of leadership and structure. I had 9 supervisor changes in 13 years. It is hard to gain traction when constantly reinventing or restructuring departments, divisions, and subsidiaries. Recent years brought dramatic swings in layoffs and direction was often unclear.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a course and stay on it.

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at HNTB Companies

Prossmall, flexible schedule, easy going

ConsUpper management problems, stock not worth it

Great company with excellent projects,,, depending on office location

I worked at HNTB Companies for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company on the corporate level with average salaries and benefits. Large offices often acquire excellent projects and are respected by their clients. Most engineers are very competent.

ConsSmall offices suffer from poor management and inexperienced staff, frequently resulting in a shortage of work. Things such as overtime, training, paid time off and professional memberships are often denied. No end of the year bonuses. Cliques and inappropriate use of time and work ethic are common. Opportunities are only available for certain individuals, and not everyone is evaluated by the same standards. Employee evaluations are focused on what benefits the company and not much on developing the employees. Severe decline in company stock last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany in leadership positions are great at managing projects, but not very good at managing people. Office-level management is often disconnected from the staff. More focus needs to be placed on working as a team, instead of every person for themselves.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Chicago Office Review

I worked at HNTB Companies

ProsCompensation package is not bad.

ConsManagement do not seem to care about the development of their employees. Favoritism is pretty apparent. Managers are not good people managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople that are in the position of managing people should want to do it. Otherwise, they should just manage projects.

Excellent company great experience

Department Manager (Former Employee)
Miami, FL (US)

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits and yearly salary evaluations.

ConsThe company limits itself to Only National projects. It seems they have had solid results in house. No or limited international exposure

Advice to Senior ManagementSmaller projects fill the gap while the mega projects are on the list to come.

It's like working at a Insurance Company...

Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat upper level leadership, benefit packages, vacation time, no need for overtime.

ConsAfter working here for over 6 years there is no accountablilty for anything. Staff called in sick every week for 9 months...called in sick from their desk in the morning as management saw them there and was confused every time. Staff was insubordinate left work since deliverables were due that day and had no work to show. National Director or Vice President had no authority for termination of staff of ongoing issues. Staff architects about 10% studied for months for exams and were allowed to bill to federal and private sector projects. 2 of the 4 that were licensed during the time and took advantage to get there license still work there… Staff that studied for exams were employed during furlough and after the unemployed staff came back they finished the work that was not completed. Titles mean absolutely nothing and staff are pigeon holed, tiled project designer only knows photoshop for 6 years working there... Younger Project Architects do not know how to put a building together... Corporate polices are not being followed and hiring staff owned companies as consultants is happening. Project designers are spending time and money on items that cannot be delivered to clients. Clients asked for i pad applications so design team paid outside consultants to deliver flash based application. Same design team paid outside consultant to complete renderings and paid consultant in full then fired consultant due to software licensing and blamed consultants for project not being delivered on time to client even though license was purchased. Previous operations manager didn't know how convention center team leader can loses all job pursuits and still be employed. project win was 0-6. After losing project after project design team always blamed partnering firm and never looked at the reason projects were lost. Over time is abused and staff shops for shoes online, studies, surfs the web all day and bills overtime in the evenings to projects. Previous operations manager accidentally sent termination list to staff…and told staff that they could go home and not come back and be paid for the remaining week. After the mass exodus and talking to remaining staff…i pursed them to leave as well. Career Opportunities fail short as well. Working full time on a project and knowing everything about it and handing it off during construction to another has become an office nightmare. Design issues are being approved without previous knowledge. Staff members are now holding information from each other due to these issues of not being allowed to finish there own projects. Teams are divided and information is being held from each other. Project designers tell others to not relay information internally.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff needs to be accountable and Project Managers need to follow up with staff.

Your home life ends with an employment offer from HNTB.

Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsMeets industry compensation. Great office location - close to Trains.

ConsIn my experience, the middle and upper management at HNTB are poor at managing people. The management I worked under didn’t have realistic delivery schedules or expertise; they would continually lie to clients to say that project x was 80% done, when it was really only 30%. That resulted in very stressful milestone deliveries. Managers are slave drivers who don’t want to get their hands dirty.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on culture and put some effort into your peoples' happiness.

Civil Engineering Intern

Civil Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at HNTB Companies as an intern for less than a year

ProsReally enjoyed working for the company. I got a lot of on hands experience. I think that having a great sponsor helps as well.

ConsWhen work is slow, trying to find projects or tasks to work on is challenging.

Bridge Engineer II

Bridge Engineer II (Current Employee)
Santa Ana, CA (US)

I have been working at HNTB Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunities to be involved in some mega design-build projects in local area;
Convenient location if you are living in Orange county.
Acceptable salary if you are newly recruited.

ConsHard to get promoted;
Most of works are design-build, so sometimes overtime is overburdened.
Too many overhead charges and a huge size of management group.

Advice to Senior Managementreduce size of management group

They don't care about their consultants, Revolving door management, everyone is clueless

Office Technician (Former Employee)
Oakland, CA (US)

I worked at HNTB Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are ok, pay rate is decent

ConsNo annual review despite mentions of it. Constant revolving door of management changes. No support if you are a victim of abuse at the client site (which I was)

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some competent people and treat them with respect. Support your consultants and don't just throw them under the bus to keep a valuable contract. There were so many conflicts of interest at the client site in the project I was assigned to that it's disgusting. I believe I was let go because individuals were afraid I would be a whistleblower. STEER CLEAR of this messed up company! They will not support you or help you and they will leave your high and dry at the worst possible time.

Worked for HNTB Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HNTB Companies reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for HNTB Companies CEO Harvey K. Hammond Jr.. All 131 reviews are posted anonymously by HNTB Companies employees.