Harris

Harris Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Harris President & CEO Bill Brown

Bill Brown

Pros:
  • "9/80 work week allows for every other Friday off"
    in 21 reviews
  • "The project I've been on for 3 years has a great work life balance"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "The newest slogan is "do more with less" so the work-life balance is skewing"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Upper Management likes to out source your job once they see that your work is complete"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Experience...

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Bangalore

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTiming delivery
competitive price
Nice Customer Support
Good Design
Website is nice

ConsThere should be more variety .

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more variety.

Great Company!

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHarris Corporatoin has great benefits.

ConsSalary and promotions aren't based on experience and performance.

subcontract manager

Subcontract (Former Employee)
Melbourne, FL (US)

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

Prosvery nice people and challenging work - 9/80 work schredule

Consmid management at time do not understand the challenges at the program level

Advice to Senior Managementmid managers should be have more program experience - at times they think we are building tosters instead of unique systems

Good.

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFair compensation, good benefits, some real talent in secondary leadership positions.

ConsRequirements of contracts are often changed, and when that happens, sometimes your positions disappears. In the current sequestration crisis, and belt-tightening in Washington, D.C., management has tended to staff contracts with entry-to-mid level individuals, and it is difficult to find a senior position.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on finding outstanding individuals for secondary leadership positions. If you have a dud leading a team, everyone is miserable and productivity falls.

Review

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTechnical work was very interesting

ConsHow to get ahead is a mystery

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Harris full-time for more than a year

ProsAs an Implementation Systems Engineer be prepared to travel quite a bit. Good place to work if you like to travel all of the time.

ConsThe compensation for an Implementation Systems Engineer is good, unless when you are required to work 60+ hour weeks without getting any overtime compensation.

Great company for young professional, but not so much for anyone else

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Columbia, MD (US)

I worked at Harris full-time

ProsThis review is for Columbia, MD office.
- Knowledgeable engineering leads that are willing to help you learn and grow along the way. I've learned a few things while at this location that I see lacking at other companies.
- Team consists of knowledgeable and go-getter engineers.
- Great professionalism and respect among team members.
- Opportunities to work on a variety of projects.
- Occasional international travel.
- Occasional training opportunities travel.

Cons- Performance and compensation not necessary correlates. Salary is somewhat average to below average compared to other companies.
- High turnover ratio due to dissatisfaction with compensation/salary and lack of trust in management (not at the office, but at higher management from corporate).

It wasn't horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Harris

ProsI got exposed to a lot of different technology that I would not have seen otherwise. If all you want to do is keep your head down and not be noticed, this is the place! I learned a lot about defense contracting here.

ConsCreativity not welcome. Easy to get pigeon-holed. Coming out of college and moving to this town was a rough transition for a single guy... I'm not super picky but the ratio of professional men to women is very tilted. Actually the reason I left was to move to another town so I could find a wife, ha!

Hopeful work experience slides downward

Analyst (Former Employee)
Melbourne, FL (US)

I worked at Harris full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent,talented employees within the different disciplines. Employees are friendly and courteous.

ConsMiddle management is so removed from the day-to-day activities it takes to complete projects that they border on being useless, and in some cases, incompetent. This happens at the expense of smart, dedicated, hard-working employees consistently performing above the level of their direct managers. Upper management watches.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management: Stop focusing on the wrong metrics and start actually managing! For example, there are departments that have been reduced to just a few strong individuals, whereas before there were about a dozen or so employees. Workload and timelines remain the same. Employees are working from 50 to 60 to 70 hours per week and management strolls through the department noticing who is and who isn't present at 8:30am. Really Interesting to note, management is not there at 9:00 pm and on weekends. Dear Management: prepare to lose some serious talent and corporate memory the longer it takes you to make changes.

Back stabbing culture @ RF Systems

Program Manager III (Former Employee)
Rochester, NY (US)

I worked at Harris full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRF Communications in Rochester NY, great area to raise family and cost of living is decent. The non-management workforce are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

ConsNo life work balance. Culture is all about making the sale regardless of what where you stand or the organization, you're expected to sacrifice family for the good of the company. If you're part of the inner circle you can do no wrong, management will blame others to protect the few that they chose.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open minded. Give opportunities to outsiders who joined the company from other organizations or competitors.

Worked for Harris? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Harris reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Harris CEO Bill Brown. All 331 reviews are posted anonymously by Harris employees.