Harris Teeter

Harris Teeter Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Harris Teeter CEO, Kroger Rodney McMullen

Rodney McMullen

Pros
  • Bonus checks depending on hours worked(in 32 reviews)

• Good pay for the amount of work you do(in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • poor communication within the store management to their employees(in 23 reviews)

• Customer service micro-manages the front-end employees down to their bathroom breaks(in 22 reviews)

Great Job Overall

Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) Wake Forest, NC (US)

ProsWorked with a Great group of people that were fun to be around.
    Gained responsibilities pretty fast so there's opportunities to develop yourself.
    Bonus Checks!!!
    Annual raise

ConsCan be alot of work at times.
    Can be understaffed at times to cut costs.
    May get called in if too understaffed, throwing a wrench in personal plans outside of work.

Great Job

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsBonus Checks, the ability to move up within the company is there, yearly price-of-living raises for part-timers and yearly evaluation raises for full-timers.

ConsCommunication between corporate and store level is not as good as it should be. The technology (( registers and equipment )) is extremely outdated. Wanting rules to be enforced, unless the customer is unhappy then to heck with the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpgrade the Registers and software used. Communicate better to the stores. And stay consistent. Get rid of rules/guidelines that are constantly waived for reasons of 'customer satisfaction'. What is the point of them if they are always waived?

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay. Very good training. Good benefits.

ConsExpectations are very high and they are audit driven.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The employees never seem to have a bad day.

Assistant Dairy Frozen Manager (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsI like how much training is involved in learning the grocery/ perishable industry. They really make sure you have a good mentor, and are ready for the next level before promoting you.

ConsEven if you have an advanced degree, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. Also, working in the stores doesn't easily translate to working in the corporate office, even if you have a degree in business or IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the store managers are doing a great job. It can be very stressful on the front-lines, so I only suggest that they try to stay happy at work. Negative attitudes trickle down faster than happy ones, and bad attitudes can have tremendous effects on sales.

Challenging

ProsHarris Teeter provides good benefits for its employees and they have a strong focus on safety. Their management training program is very comprehensive and valuable. They also do look for talent within the company to promote.

ConsLost their core values unfortunately, their strength was taking care of their employees and customers and the economy started to decline, HT was running solid financially but they decided to cut back and it hurt service and employee relations with their new policies.

Stress and more STRESS

ProsBonus checks twice a year, more than enough hours to make more money. Make great friends and meet great people.

ConsManagers don't care. Certain managers and workers get overbear-ed with tasks that they were't really required to do.(Example, I am a morning cashier, I have been given stocking jobs, over night jobs that last at least 17 hours and other tasks) It really is a boys club, the managers and corporate walk around the store in a big group.Employees dating each other, managers talking about and looking at the women customers and employees. Tons of gossiping about said pervy managers and relationships.They never work with your schedule or take consideration of personal life, holidays, schools and emergencies. Threatening for termination for minor reasons such not calling the store when you were on the on-call list so you can be asked to work. Rules have gotten more strict, customers take advantage of the workers and the store because we can't say no .Not one time have I heard anyone say they enjoy working at Harris Teeter, not even the store director. Employees are not happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people, don't become so dependent on the people you have and work them to death. Most of the employees aren't working there forever, please don't treat them as such. Something needs to be done about the poor management. You guys are there for a pay check and the employees follow YOUR lead on your attitude towards coming to work everyday.

High expectations of employee with low return on rewards

Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsClean, upbeat, can-do environment created for customer's benefit.

ConsRaises given to everyone on a schedule, regardless of performance.
    Bonuses do not make up for low wages. Company does not offer a competitive pay.
    No opportunity to advance with just hard work.
    Constant phone calls to home.
    Not given what you are promised. Have been waiting a year for training that was promised to me for better position.
    Also was physically assaulted (as seen in another review) and the employee is still there.
    Company is more interested in profit than customer and it puts the customer service employees in a difficult position.
    Not enough hours provided to get everything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow through with promises. Give hours promised and opportunities as well. Company is definitely designed with mindless drones as the ideal employee and it is sad to see new hires enthusiasm wither away 100% of the time.

if you are a woman in the deli you are screwed.

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Cary, NC (US)

Proshaving a job. I was able to get a ok amount of hours and co workers were always giving away hours.

Consmanager who was useless. it was a boys club so his favorite 2 guys got the best hours. one was a pig who you had to constantly clean up behind since the manager wouldn't make him. slicers were constantly dirty when I came in at lunch time and no sanitizer was made or used since opening at 7am. had a coworker put his hands on me but he kept his job.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat everyone equally and fire not promote men who put their hands on a person.

Some benefits

Foods Clek (Current Employee) Durham, NC (US)

ProsShare 401 K. Flexible hours

ConsMostly part time, low wages, hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensated employees care more.

Working at Harris Teeter

Cashier (Former Employee) Winston-Salem, NC (US)

ProsGenerally Harris Teeter is very customer-service oriented.

ConsTimes with frequent rushes were often understaffed.

Worked for Harris Teeter? Contribute to the Community!