Harvard University

Updated 26 January 2015
4.0

Harvard University President Drew Gilpin Faust
Drew Gilpin Faust

Pros
  • For administrative positions, the work/life balance is decent because staff are unionized (in 47 reviews)

• Lots of freedom, interesting work, great benefits, unbelievable resources (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • bad work/life balance, low pay, minimal training unless actively sought out (in 18 reviews)

• low pay, ceiling/plateau for researchers, no clear path for researches in public health, isolating environment (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Awespo

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

Good learning experience and good facilities

Cons

It's a challenge Job.we have work hard and dedicated hardwork leads to success

Brink uncannily thinking cc gdbunk

Great Part Time Job for Students

Current Employee - Fung Library Circulation Desk in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Fung Library Circulation Desk in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

There is not much foot traffic so there is not much "work" to do, which leaves plenty of time for studying. It is a great part time job.

Cons

The questions you get can be very specific and often will never be asked again. Pay is less than some other on campus jobs, but you also can't do homework at most of them.

Management is great.

Employee Training and Career Development

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

There are benefits that would be very useful for employee training and career development. The Tuition Assistant Program makes taking a Harvard Class affordable.

Cons

None that I know of.

I have none.

PostDoc in Computer Science

I have been working at Harvard University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very independent, great work environment, great colleagues

Cons

As everywhere in academia you work a lot. Not sure if that's a con of the job?

Great opportunities

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

Excellent way to be exposed to research

Cons

Hard to understand all the components of the lab

Depends on laboratory

Great!

Former Employee - Student Worker
    Former Employee - Student Worker

I worked at Harvard University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The university provided great opportunities for part time employment while I was a student at the College. I was treated well and paid competitively.

Cons

The organization is obviously large, which at times has its negatives. The coordination between departments could have been better, and wasn't explained to me even when it interfered with my job.

Great experience overall, but watch out for the politics

Former Employee - Assistant Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Harvard University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Access to incredible speakers, panels, and conferences
    Stable work environment with excellent benefits
    Wonderful, interesting co-workers

Cons

So much of one's experience at Harvard is based on where you work -- I had experience in two different offices, ending at the Alumni Association, and it could not have been more different. In some cases, leadership seems lacking and things can be pretty slow to change (and respond to modern technology). My best advice is to ask lots of questions when interviewing and to try to network around campus, getting a sense of other units that might be of interest in the future.

Best years of my life.

I worked at Harvard University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Engaging work with truly passionate people. Fantastic benefits and work-life balance. Only 35 hour standard work week.

Cons

Salaries aren't fantastic, but they make up for it with all the other benefits.

Great work for an administrator if you're with a good department, have a great work ethic, and are a patient person.

Current Employee - Senior Administrator, Middle Manager in Cambridge, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Administrator, Middle Manager in Cambridge, MA (US)

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

Benefits are great. Tuition assistance, health, dental, retirement, etc. for anyone who works 17.5 hours a week or more. Relatively easy to get promoted if you put in the work.

Cons

It depends on what department you work for. The more central the department, the greater the politics. Very hard to institute change here-- you must be in it for the long haul. You MUST be able to create a support network. Faculty members can be challenging to deal with. You MUST be able to build consensus and use informal authority or you will have very little impact. Central administration tends not to understand this, so they don't communicate enough and you have to be able to read between the lines to see what the priorities of central are.

Very hard to get hired here.

Central administration could do a better job of reaching out to departments and schools so that initiatives are as helpful to schools and departments as possible. Often, aspects of projects that would produce significant ROI in departments are sidelined because they would bring the project over budget at the central level. This is bad for the whole university, as well as the departments.

Central could also do a better job of identifying, focusing, and communicating University priorities to staff as a whole. In this Harvard cannot do everything in this resource-constrained environment. Let people know why HU is investing in certain things and cut things that are not central to Harvard's mission.

Undergraduate Students

I have been working at Harvard University

Pros

High quality faculty
    High quality facilities
    Excellent peers and colleagues
    Lots of networking opportunities with future leaders.

Cons

Somewhat overly competitive
    Less focus on academics for most

Harvard University Photos