Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance(in 5 reviews)

• They had great training which set me up for life(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable(in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else(in 6 reviews)

Good training VERY boiler room

Junior Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe training at Hays is unrivalled and the doors it opens for your next role is great too.

ConsVery boiler room and kpi driven. Not a great commission structure and you are lost amongst loads of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and show some compassion. When you invest so much money in each recruit it seems pointless not to help them grow. There is no sympathy for potential without results. If you are the best you are well looked after but having ok figures makes you invisible. I am billing more than some of the top billers when I was there. This is mainly down to the support I was shown.

Not impressed with the company at all.

Credit Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThey answer their phone on a timely basis..

Cons..but do not give any pertinent info to would-be applicants. For example, when aked what industry sector this role is in, the answer was they are not at liberty to say.
    When asked what is salary range... same answer. Exclusivity? again, same silliness.
    Write-ups are not fully informative, Makes one feel that one is simply populating their databases.
    Not a big fan.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open, be honest, have integrity.

It is a good place to get recruiting experience but it is best to leave once you get to Senior Consultant level.

Business Manager (Former Employee) Canada, KY (US)

ProsGood training. Good commission plan. A lot of nice employees in Canada.

ConsIn North America, managers have zero decision making power. The President's yearly messages contradict each other and he has no loyalty to his staff. Turnover is high because of this. Back office rule with an Iron fist and actually hamper sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward people who have performed well for you for several years rather than discarding them to focus on new starters. Live up to what you have promised your staff. Don't lie to people. Treat people with respect. I'm at a recruiting agency now that does this, and it's awesome!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent training. A really good place to start your career in recruitment.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat training and support. Lots of opportunities both UK based and globally.

ConsAlthough basic salaries have improved the commission structure is not very competitive. Hours of work can be long and lack of flexibility to work from home.

Fast paced and exhilarating

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

ProsFor the workaholics it is perfection, the ideal job. The job satisfaction is great when you've placed a candidate in their dream job.

ConsLong hours, hard work and sometimes frustrating. You will know in the first year if this job is for you. High turn over of staff.

A company with no Ethics

IT Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome very good people work at Hays and are very sociable. The management have no interest in maintaining a team and are more geared towards a factory model to make money. Would suit any managers working in this sort of an environment.

ConsNo direction from management. Self preservation attitude everywhere you turn. Mostly firefighting throughout rather than analyzing the actual problem.No company ethics towards employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat you employees better. You fired some of your most loyal and long serving employees which is disgraceful.

Corporate machine with terrible retention and lack of discipline.

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat training, good social life. Never a boring moment.

ConsExperienced sexism and racism, issues raised were not dealt with effectively by senior management. Persistent micro-managing and being threatened with my job until I eventually quit. Commission structure is also terrible in comparison to other recruitment companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is truly worrying how many managers who are not good managers seem to be protected for some reason. This company has a terrible reputation amongst every other recruitment agency I've spoken with and all for the same reasons I have listed above - too much micro-managing.

Good Recruiter=Good Manager?!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat training and a fantastic opportunity for those straight out of University to develop their knowledge of the Recruitment industry.

ConsThose managing are appointed on the basis of being good recruiters, rather than good managers. Salaries are not the greatest at Hays, and the commission structure is poor- "Advise your clients they need to be competitive in this market"!!!

£16.5k basic for Associates
    £22k basic for Recruitment Consultants
    £24k basic for Senior Consultants

More leavers in 13/14 than any previous years. There will always be a higher turnover of staff in the recruitment industry, but Hays are losing quality staff and need to work on retaining them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be a good manager you need to be adaptable as each employee will have a different learning style.

Great place to start your sales career

Business Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat training, International opportunities, good commission scheme

ConsAverage benefits, transactional culture at times

Great People, Average Prospects

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsIf you do well and your face fits and the right people like you, they will make a job for you if you don't make it as a recruiter, they are actually quite patient and understanding in that sense. Also quite understanding in times when you need them to be, after a family bereavement they helped me out with counselling etc. Decent bunch of people as well.

ConsSalaries are pretty average, commission is only good if you are a huge biller, 20K+ per month also regardless of their corporate nonsense that they feed you the market you recruit in is hugely determinant of your success, some of the biggest billers had one client of which they did not obtain themselves.... easy life for some... stupid number of KPI's... really stupid and largely pointless. they have a bad name in many markets they work in, there is a lot of infighting over accounts they have an immense amount of poor people employed there as well who make clients view them even worse, and they insist on using e-shots to pepper their clients

Advice to Senior Managementtime to change your strategy and get out of the dark ages of recruitment

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!