Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros:
  • "Flexible approach to work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Great training and a fantastic opportunity for those straight out of University to develop their knowledge of the Recruitment industry"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Deceitful/underhanded mid and senior management"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Long hours, presenteeism culture , can be a "face fits" atmosphere"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

good firm for freshers

Internet Research Analyst (Current Employee)
Gurgaon, Haryana

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Prosemployee satisfaction, ok ok salary for freshers

Consteams badly affected by politics

Fast paced and exhilarating

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

ProsFor the workaholics it is perfection, the ideal job. The job satisfaction is great when you've placed a candidate in their dream job.

ConsLong hours, hard work and sometimes frustrating. You will know in the first year if this job is for you. High turn over of staff.

Good Recruiter=Good Manager?!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

ProsGreat training and a fantastic opportunity for those straight out of University to develop their knowledge of the Recruitment industry.

ConsThose managing are appointed on the basis of being good recruiters, rather than good managers. Salaries are not the greatest at Hays, and the commission structure is poor- "Advise your clients they need to be competitive in this market"!!!

£16.5k basic for Associates
£22k basic for Recruitment Consultants
£24k basic for Senior Consultants

More leavers in 13/14 than any previous years. There will always be a higher turnover of staff in the recruitment industry, but Hays are losing quality staff and need to work on retaining them.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo be a good manager you need to be adaptable as each employee will have a different learning style.

Great place to start your sales career

Business Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat training, International opportunities, good commission scheme

ConsAverage benefits, transactional culture at times

Great People, Average Prospects

Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you do well and your face fits and the right people like you, they will make a job for you if you don't make it as a recruiter, they are actually quite patient and understanding in that sense. Also quite understanding in times when you need them to be, after a family bereavement they helped me out with counselling etc. Decent bunch of people as well.

ConsSalaries are pretty average, commission is only good if you are a huge biller, 20K+ per month also regardless of their corporate nonsense that they feed you the market you recruit in is hugely determinant of your success, some of the biggest billers had one client of which they did not obtain themselves.... easy life for some... stupid number of KPI's... really stupid and largely pointless. they have a bad name in many markets they work in, there is a lot of infighting over accounts they have an immense amount of poor people employed there as well who make clients view them even worse, and they insist on using e-shots to pepper their clients

Advice to Senior Managementtime to change your strategy and get out of the dark ages of recruitment

Better in the old days

Business Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey reward success. I found the bonus scheme was very geared towards commission, but for me this worked and motivated me. They had great training which set me up for life. Long hours didn't bother me, if you did a good job there was latitude.

ConsVery much a place where if your face fits you do well. When I joined the directors had all progressed from the bottom upwards. When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else. Not well liked by clients in general (in my specialism).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop judging people on the amount of spreadsheets produced each day, start talking to your staff.

ok

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

ProsHours. Social. Location. Few good people and bosses who listen and offer career advice like a mentor. Learnt interview tactics. 1st step to recruitment career. Vocational. Renowned sales training. Customer service. Expertise. Learnt a lot on how to cope under pressure which is helpful in problem solving and managing, when there's conflict and communication issues. Best agency to use, perceived as most professional and corporate looking. Everyone's a client.

ConsSystems don't work. Most disapprove of Exec Board. Workplace with swearing and politically incorrect at times racist people at the top. Those who aren't senior or manager, all actively look to leave. Learning isn't encouraged. Colleagues cuss about few incompetent people who sleep their way to top. High staff turnover with most fired without HR approval, similar to small cowboy firm environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain staff after they join. Hiring and promoting friends or family isn't the best method, people get away with a lot and no constructive feedback, can be bias when they try and do fire those they don't like.

Recruitment Consultant

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is an entrepreneurial culture, if you want to try something you are encourage (just make sure you are right). Fun, young work environment and social activities are encouraged.

ConsHave to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable. Micromanagement for the smallest tasks, although that changes heavily based on manager. High turnover, but that can be accredited to the entire recruitment industry. Lots of office gossip.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers. Stop bringing people in from the UK in manager positions when you can promote from within or hire locally. Hiring strategy seems to be inconsistent as there is a lot of turnover which leads to low employee morale. Due to micromanagement almost every team is different.

Work environment

Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

ProsHays is one of leargest recruitment company in the world. They are strong for mid to senior positions. Consultants are usually professional.

Consas it is learge organization, they can not make decition quickly. or jsut top down management style. People sometime gets lot of stress.

bad culture but good training for consultants

Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Prosgood training for new consultants, fast paced.

Conssleazy working culture across the globe especially in Singapore office and unprofessional working environment. cold and arrogant colleagues.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to empower your employees, they are the heart of your business.

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hays plc reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox. All 61 reviews are posted anonymously by Hays plc employees.