Hays plc Reviews

Updated 12 September 2014
3.9

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

A successful organisation with great values

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clear, realistic promotional opportunities are outlined from day one. Success is rewarded and widely recognised and the company values can be evidenced internally as well as externally.

Team working is encouraged just as much as the development of independent expertise. The prescence of the organisation in the market across so many different specialisms, combined with excellent training and the fact that Hays is Passionate about People (clients, candidates and consultants alike) make it possible for people to succeed not only financially, but also in terms of job satisfaction.

In a nutshell, a great place to work.

Cons

The role of recruitment consultant is a challenging one. This isn't really a con, just the nature of the beast. There are many ups and downs. However, Hays offers plenty of training and support, ensuring more ups and less downs the more your expertise develops.

Great place to work with a really good company culture, in an environment where people want to succeed.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your hard work is recognised and you are praised for when the results come in. There is excellent career progression with a structure that enables you to work your way up through the ranks. Always support around you for when you need it and lots of experience colleagues for you to get advice from. The social aspect is great and incentives really motivate you to smash your targets.

Cons

As it is a young, sociable work force, pub culture can sometimes cross over into the office making it unprofessional at times and a little bit uni like. Also the unflexibility with the working hours is very frustrating. I understand why they are so strict and rigid but for Consultants who work over and above their expected hours anyway, to come in a little later or leave a little earlier to make up for it would make a great deal of difference.

Lose the micro-management in regards to possibles and interviews. You set yourself up for the day but you end up repeating yourself dozens of times to several different managers and directors across the floor. The amount of repeatition is counter productive and not a good use of your time.

I have been working at Hays for over a year and have had an amazing time, brilliant culture with great career prospects

Current Employee - National Internal Recruitment Coordinator  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - National Internal Recruitment Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture within Hays with an evident work hard play hard culture.
    There is a clear career progression structure and Hays is a very meritocratic company that awards based on performance

Cons

The challenges at Hays are that the KPI's and targets set can be quite demanding however they are there to push you and ultimately help you succeed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supporting Environment that gives you the tools to make what you want of it

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  King's Lynn, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in King's Lynn, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

Pros

Hays is a great company to work for as it already has the reputation and dominance in the Recruitment market. Having come from a smaller, boutique agency I was really taken aback at how well known Hays is with potential clients - cold calls are much easier! What impressed me more than anything with Hays was the training provided it really sets you up for running a desk. The atmosphere within the offices is lively with everyone being hardworking and competitive (in a friendly way!).

Cons

The one thing I have found hard to adjust to is how broken down specialisms are. On the one hand this is great as it allows you to build much more thorough relationships and know your market better on the other hand when you get a job in it can be frustrating having to pass it to a colleague.

It would be beneficial if managers knew a bit more about all of the desks in the office as opposed to just their specialism. Each sector is quite different in how it needs to be run

Outstanding

Current Employee - Director  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Career progression, Benefits, Commission to those who are prepared to work hard to understand their market.

Cons

Challenges are around ensuring consultants have the right work ethnic and are aware of that to become an expert in their market takes dedication and inquisitive nature.

Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - /Associate Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - /Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Hays put a lot of focus into their training. I feel like a lot of time and effort is being invested in me and my future to help me in my job here at Hays as well as my future career. The company values and rewards hard work which shows in the work hard, play hard culture at Hays.

Cons

The nature of the job means that you have to be very resilient. Working with people results in unexpected events occurring which can make you feel like you have wasted a lot of your time on a specific candidate or client and nothing comes of it.

Management could help with further integration i.e. within specialisms, working closer with colleagues to understand their work, this could be achieved though brief weekly meetings. Prizes for hitting KPIs will increase work and ensure One Touch is kept updated.

Fantastic experience in progressive career.

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

Support from higher management is superb and I feel very valued as an employee. All promises made to me at the beginning of my career have been fulfilled and I have found it to be an incredibly honest company. The training is fantastic and gives you the key skills to really progress through the company. Culture is very sociable with a work hard/play hard attitude. Lots of incentives and opportunities to get promoted.

Cons

It is a hard role with very long hours. Lots of small disappointments due to the nature of the industry and the unreliable nature of people in general. The industry attracts a few office gossipy types but no more so than any other large office environment.

More training for mid level staff looking to progress would be good, but communication is already at a very high level. Flexibility with regards to promotions would be good so as not to hold certain staff back when they are in a position to manage early in their career.

Hays is a great organisation with fantastic career progression

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager  in  Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The training you recieve is excellent and the company truly values itself on people. There is a real High performace culture within each team and reward is high for hard work and dedication

Cons

At times there can be a few to many channel leads meaning the reporting of figures can get repetitive.

Meritocracy with exceptional training and clear progression paths

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Chelmsford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chelmsford, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The offices are always busy with a positive vibe. You will never find a Hays conultant sitting on their laurels. There is always a job to be done. It can be stressful/hectic environment, playing middle man to an ever more varied and demanding client/candidate base, but the upbeat and healthy competitive nature within the offices help get you through. Management has seen changes for the better, with far more "nurturing" and guidence given to new consultants. Training is exceptional and always receives great feedback.

Cons

The job is all encompassing so it is hard to strike a good work/life balance if you are a parent or work part time. This isn't a negative on the company but down to the constrictures of the job which is based on your focus and efforts to acheive commission so quite frequently it might mean working "out of hours"

Great career progression and fantastic training and support

Current Employee - Director  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clear career progression and targets, working for the No1 recruitment co in the UK with a global reach. Fantastic training, we are supported at every level, right from entry level through to Senior Management

Cons

No so much cons, but you do have to be up for a challenge and be prepared to work hard and stay motivated, you are expected to progress and deliver and grow with the company

Just to make sure we keep the standards and expectations high across the business and dont lose the core DNA that has made us so successful

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!