Hays plc Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

3.8

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox
Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunities for entrepreneurial minded people who are comfortable in a people driven environment.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

The progression opportunities are amazing and you have a good chance to make a name for yourself.

Cons

I don't have any as of yet.

NA

Work Hard - Big Rewards

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The best reason to work for Hays is the people you work with and the truly world class training and personal development available. The high performing culture suits anyone who is ambitious, task and people orientated and willing to learn and get stuck in. The is a very fast pace and the expectation is you work hard to gain all the monetary and reward benefits.

Cons

There are long hours and you have to be committed to work longer than your contract, there is no immediate financial reward in recruitment as success is made form long term relationships and repeat business which takes time to build. It can also be very stressful, the demands come from everyone you interact with, our customers, your colleagues, your management but most importantly yourself, you have to be prepared to be resilient.

Over the years the management interaction with all level of employees has improved dramatically and you can see the values and culture throughout the whole organisation, keep it up and keep listening.

I have been working at Hays for over a year and have had an amazing time, brilliant culture with great career prospects

Current Employee - National Internal Recruitment Coordinator  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - National Internal Recruitment Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture within Hays with an evident work hard play hard culture.
    There is a clear career progression structure and Hays is a very meritocratic company that awards based on performance

Cons

The challenges at Hays are that the KPI's and targets set can be quite demanding however they are there to push you and ultimately help you succeed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supporting Environment that gives you the tools to make what you want of it

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  King's Lynn, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in King's Lynn, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time

Pros

Hays is a great company to work for as it already has the reputation and dominance in the Recruitment market. Having come from a smaller, boutique agency I was really taken aback at how well known Hays is with potential clients - cold calls are much easier! What impressed me more than anything with Hays was the training provided it really sets you up for running a desk. The atmosphere within the offices is lively with everyone being hardworking and competitive (in a friendly way!).

Cons

The one thing I have found hard to adjust to is how broken down specialisms are. On the one hand this is great as it allows you to build much more thorough relationships and know your market better on the other hand when you get a job in it can be frustrating having to pass it to a colleague.

It would be beneficial if managers knew a bit more about all of the desks in the office as opposed to just their specialism. Each sector is quite different in how it needs to be run

Outstanding

Current Employee - Director  in  Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Career progression, Benefits, Commission to those who are prepared to work hard to understand their market.

Cons

Challenges are around ensuring consultants have the right work ethnic and are aware of that to become an expert in their market takes dedication and inquisitive nature.

Satisfied

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for less than a year

Pros

good work ethic
    Good experience

Cons

stressful
    working late
    competitive atmosphere that can be hard to deal with on occassions

Staying calm
    work-life balance to be taken into account more
    promotion

Supportive and rewarding career at Hays

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Firstly the training at Hays is top notch; it gives you the best start at a job which can be very demanding. As a sales business there are high expectations for target hitting and they motivate you to successfully reach those expectations. They reward success and the commission structures are set to motivate you to want to do more!
    There is a real community feel within your team, office and even regionally or nationally, which is even more apparent when everyone meets for events and parties, of which there are quite a few!
    One of the things I love about the structure of Hays is that the job is so specialised, you really become an expert in your area, your clients and candidates get to know you and you become an ambassador for them, that’s a really special relationship to have with both clients and candidates.

Cons

Its recruitment, there are always going to be ups and downs! When it’s great.. Oh, it’s great. When it’s bad, it can be a little soul destroying. Being so target driven does stress even the calmest of people out, but this suits me, I'm better working under pressure! The hours are long, so it can feel like you are married to your job, but when you place that candidate or win that client, it’s worth it.

Sometimes the need for KPI's to be scrutinised all the time can be a bit stressful, on the odd week you might not have the time to be able to hit them and it can be hard to feel like you have done a good job if you are always being told you need to log everything!

Hays is a great organisation with fantastic career progression

Current Employee - Senior Business Manager  in  Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Manager in Brighton, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The training you recieve is excellent and the company truly values itself on people. There is a real High performace culture within each team and reward is high for hard work and dedication

Cons

At times there can be a few to many channel leads meaning the reporting of figures can get repetitive.

Meritocracy with exceptional training and clear progression paths

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant  in  Chelmsford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Chelmsford, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The offices are always busy with a positive vibe. You will never find a Hays conultant sitting on their laurels. There is always a job to be done. It can be stressful/hectic environment, playing middle man to an ever more varied and demanding client/candidate base, but the upbeat and healthy competitive nature within the offices help get you through. Management has seen changes for the better, with far more "nurturing" and guidence given to new consultants. Training is exceptional and always receives great feedback.

Cons

The job is all encompassing so it is hard to strike a good work/life balance if you are a parent or work part time. This isn't a negative on the company but down to the constrictures of the job which is based on your focus and efforts to acheive commission so quite frequently it might mean working "out of hours"

Great career progression and fantastic training and support

Current Employee - Director  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Hays plc full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Clear career progression and targets, working for the No1 recruitment co in the UK with a global reach. Fantastic training, we are supported at every level, right from entry level through to Senior Management

Cons

No so much cons, but you do have to be up for a challenge and be prepared to work hard and stay motivated, you are expected to progress and deliver and grow with the company

Just to make sure we keep the standards and expectations high across the business and dont lose the core DNA that has made us so successful

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!