Health Net

Be The First To
Add Photos

Health Net President, CEO, and Director Jay M. Gellert

Jay M. Gellert

Pros:
  • "The work life balance is great, as they let folks telecommute"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good benefits, champions diversity at the workplace, salaries are very competitive"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant political senior management battles and plenty of inept individuals at"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Many upper management executives are viewed as unapproachable and out of touch"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company, good culture.

Medicare (Former Employee)

I worked at Health Net full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople were nice, there was not a lot of competition or the typical corporate culture. Communication was always free flowing. Management was always willing to listen.

ConsIn certain areas nepotism was very prevalent. Some employee did not do the basic job functions and were never disciplined.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees should be able to anonymously rate their bosses and it be a factor in the boss's review.

Success is not celebrated, they want employees to be sheep

Senior Multimedia Designer (Former Employee)
Rancho Cordova, CA (US)

I worked at Health Net full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHealth Net does offer a VERY competitive salary. For the position of multimedia specialist I was paid very well.

ConsThe company paid their upper level managers, CEO etc. very well, with enormous bonuses for no reason. I saw a lot of frivolous spending & departments that failed but management always punished the best employees.

Don't expect common sense from this place, don't have your own ideas or innovative solutions. They want Sheep - employees to shut up and listen!

Doesn't matter if you are the smartest, most efficient, hardworking or talented employee in your department. If you are better than your manager, you will get canned.

If you are sexually harassed and have documentation, don't expect HR to do anything about it. In fact, don't tell anyone or you will get canned.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some common sense. Give bonuses to the people who deserve it and not just to managers. Listen to your staff. Have staff reviews of managers themselves. Reward people fairly.

Limited growth potential.

Senior IT Auditor (Former Employee)

I worked at Health Net full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalary is competitive and hours are flexible.

ConsVery limited growth opportunities. Company is more focused on cutting costs (layoffs, outsourcing) than gaining market share and revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on gaining market share and revenue.

Worked for the Northeast Divison formally First Option Health Plan. Sold Hn to UHP in January 10. No Northeast anymore

Recruiter (Former Employee)
Old Bridge, NJ (US)

I worked at Health Net full-time for more than 10 years

ProsAwesome people- Easy to get things done

ConsTo many High salaried executive, they all came into the company demanding change before they knew how they really operated. Cannot believe Jay Geller is still in charge.

Advice to Senior ManagementBiggest mistake you made selling out the East Coast.

Beautiful Place to work, wonderful surrondings

Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Health Net full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits and extremely culturally diversified.

ConsNot too many chances of improving or job growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice they are doing whst they can in light of the economy.

High School Mentality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Tucson, AZ (US)

I worked at Health Net full-time

ProsLots of places to eat or run to on your lunch. 2-weeks off in around Christmas and New Years in December.

ConsVery immature, HR inappropriate, sexually, verbal and mental harassment in Tucson, Provider Network Management department, management looks the other way and does nothing. Overworked and understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementQUIT slapping mentally ill, lying, stealing, cheating employees on the hand only when they are caught doing so and quit covering up for them.

Excellent company to work for with plenty of opportunities for advancement.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Health Net full-time for more than 8 years

ProsAbility to learn different aspects about the company and find areas of advancement and growth

ConsThe latter end of Health Net Northeast operations area had some weak areas in upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSelect supervisory positions more carefully

Good company, but definitely has some pain points

I have been working at Health Net full-time

ProsExcellent pay and benefits, and in my department, great flexibility around work hours and telecommuting. Great people to work with in almost every single area around the company - most employees really do care about the work they do and how it affects Health Net members and partners. Most leaders try to do the right thing by their employees to the extent they can within the power of their positions.

ConsWork loads in my department went from heavy, but somewhat reasonable to overwhelming and intolerable, with no end in sight - unfortunately, it is not unique to my department. Horrible technology and lack of accountability in fixing issues and in putting together a long-term technology strategy. WAY TOO MANY lay offs - no one ever feels completely secure in their position. Extremely top heavy company - the number of directors, managers and even VPs with no one reporting to them is ridiculous.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit expecting employees to handle more and more work and to continue 50-60 hour work weeks for months on end - perhaps if senior management would fix the top heavy nature of the organization and require that anyone in a manager, director or VP role have direct reports and are competent to lead people, Health Net could hire more FTEs to do the actual work. Stop band-aiding the technology issues and please stop providing "fluff" communications on how well the company is addressing IT issues - it is very apparent that Health Net is not any further ahead than they were 2 years ago - most would argue technology at Health Net is worse off now than 5 years ago. And last, do a better of job of long-term planning so that there is not the constant layoffs - its hard for current employees to feel secure and it wastes a lot of money.

worst company i have ever worked for

Huntington Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Health Net full-time for more than 5 years

Prosdecent salary, nice building in huntington beach, good severance package, nice door man, not too many car break ins like there use to be in the employee parking lot.

ConsMicromanaged, low company morale, managers and supervisors have little education and are incompetent but are on a high horse, Verbally abused and interrogated constantly, no flexibililty. Not paid for overtime hours. Company likes to downsize by making life very difficult so that you leave on our own. Don't expect any appreciation here.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a closer look at the lower level supervisors and managers and what they are doing to employees.

Large company with a variety of positions.

Utilization Management Representative (Former Employee)
Rancho Cordova, CA (US)

I worked at Health Net full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, variety of positions

ConsPositions are available, but very competitive. Not to much opportunity for continuous advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage and support advancement of employees within the company.

Worked for Health Net? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Health Net reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Health Net CEO Jay M. Gellert. All 105 reviews are posted anonymously by Health Net employees.