Heartland Payment Systems

Updated 24 October 2014
Updated 24 October 2014

Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr
Bob Carr

Pros
  • Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person (in 23 reviews)

• Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Industry low residuals, sales reps pay for the sacred endorsements, micro management (in 21 reviews)

• Most of the sales force is unhappy due to the way management is treating them (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place to learn about the industry.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great training and constant education on the ever changing industry. Very transparent in pricing without any hidden fees. I felt comfortable at the end of the day that I did the right thing for the customer and that they got great service at a fair price.

Cons

The company needs to have better management, there are too many flavor of the month policies that they make you jump through hoops and consume your day with all for the sake of the policy and then they forget about it and move on to the next thing. They have hired people outside the organization that don't know the culture, get a paycheck and don't know what it is like to live on commission only so they just push policy to get their "to do" box checked and don't care if you make money or not.

Stop the WIN mentality. It made people losers, lose interest and do things they might not have done before to get their WIN. The WIN is a big joke in the credit card industry. All the processors know about it and laugh.
    Compensation in the industry is far better than what I was getting. I must admit health insurance is a great perk but it wasn't the best plan coverage and they should give better residual splits for residual accounts only.

Best Company Ever

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Heartland is a free to work as you like position as long as you are meeting quota. They treat their employees great and compensate them well. They also have great benefits as well. They spend a lot of money tending to their employees as well. Annual Summit cost the company millions of dollars and they do this for their employees every 18 months.

Cons

I know every company has its flaws but I cannot think of anything negative to say.

Heart is in the right place.

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

The CEO is down to earth and exemplifies the company's culture of caring so that it permeates throughout the company. Everyone I've ever interacted with is with that program so it's very cool to be around folks who feel appreciated and know how to appreciate one another.

Cons

You really want to be about your game and continually up it so there's a realistic intolerance for slackers. You need to be able to make worthwhile contributions or you're not carrying your weight and not everyone is going to reach out to help you.

Stay out in the field more to see the perspective of your workforce.

I began to feel uncomfortable.

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home. Make own schedule.
    Great online cloud-based tools to track sales and monitor/help resolve problems for clients.

Cons

Job can easily consume all of your time with sales quota pressures, which destroys the work-life balance you were looking for.
    Changes in policies sometimes contradicted our marketing, so one ends up lying to the client.
    Sales quota pressures led some of my colleagues to be less-than-ethical and were given prizes for their success.

Allow time for new hires to develop into the sales people they can be.
    The WIN program actually helped my income, but made the game unethical and I had to compete with that unethical behavior. It stopped being fun even though I personally was successful.

Roller Coaster ride to Micromanagementville

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Original Comp Plan was nice

Cons

Ridiculous unqualified Sales Management. After 1st year the management in the field is the biggest joke in the industry. HPS's idea of sales management is a bunch of low IQ high ego guys sitting home all day and bombarding the reps with emails, texts, reports, and daily threats.....for a 100% commission job!

Conitinue everything you are doing, I have been at a competitor for over 3 years now and I love going up against scared, desparate HPS reps

I have been employed at HPS for over fifteen years at different Levels of Sales, Training, Support and Management.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Manchester, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Manchester, NH (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Heartland is a company of integrity and unlimited earning potential with constant technological growth and movement for improved product offering.

Cons

No Sales protected territories limit your earning potential and make the company look bad for having multiple reps calling on the same businesses in the same areas.

Stop squeezing more Sales Reps into areas where current reps are performing above sales Goals

upper management has no clue

Current Employee - Division Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Division Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people but not enough to run a company this size.

Cons

too many ego-driven chiefs and not enough smart people. they fire good sales people at a whim if they don't make their numbers. Marketing is a joke, no support, only some design guru who doesn't support the different divisions.

hire some good people who know what they're doing and understand the business.

Terrible Compensation Program, A Business Scam

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't think of any.

Cons

Do not work here, they will use and abuse you. You do all the cold calling with no compensation for your auto expenses and your time. They make you believe that you can make a good base salary by signing up accounts and then you find for each account that you worked so hard to sign up only pays a residual income of about $20 a month. It takes a lot of accounts to sign up, in order to make any money. Find a company that will invest in you as much as you have invested in them. Heartland Payment Systems is not going to

Stop taking advantage of people and pay them for their hard work.

This is a MLM or Pyramid scheme pretending to be a real company

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

None that I could see.

Cons

I was interviewed for a position here. I have years in business sales for REAL companies. This place (after some prying questions) is just an MLM company masquerading as a real business. I feel bad for those duped.
    "Territory Managers" are to find their own "employees" and have sales quotas that are the same as "employees." That is not the definition of a territory manager of any real business. Get hired, find your own employees, have to sell the same as them, but you "get to work from home and make your own schedule!" This place is a scam and I ended my interview after 10 minutes. Any real business professional will see what this company is after hearing the double speak and not directly answering questions. Find something better, like Avon or Mary K if you want to work in this kind of environment. Rule of thumb, if they are trying to sell you to take a job during an interview, then you need to proceed with extreme caution.

Stop making your job postings appear to be something they are not. This is CLEARLY intentional after speaking with "recruiters." Misleading "duties" and job titles. If you want experienced, professional talent by posting on linkedin etc then be upfront or change the way you do business.

Chaotic Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Good place to learn new technologies. Laid back environment. Bonuses were a nice perk.

Cons

Constantly changing technologies; too many changes occurring at the same time lead to confusion, mistakes and frustration. Each team had their own approach, often approaches did not work well together. Teams often did not coordinate with others before making changes that impacted other teams. Little sharing of project knowledge. Each person had to learn business on their own. Little training.

Slow down rate of change to reduce stress and increase product quality.

Heartland Payment Systems Photos