Heartland Payment Systems

Updated 24 November 2014
Updated 24 November 2014

Heartland Payment Systems Chairman and CEO Bob Carr
Bob Carr

Pros
  • Calls at Heartland Service Center are answered in less than 6 seconds by a LIVE person (in 23 reviews)

• Their customer service team is the best I've ever seen (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Industry low residuals, sales reps pay for the sacred endorsements, micro management (in 21 reviews)

• Most of the sales force is unhappy due to the way management is treating them (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Human Resources - IT in Plano, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources - IT in Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- good culture
    - work/life balance
    - not micromanaged
    - use latest technologies
    - promote within

Cons

- could improve benefits

good company to work for

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

closing company is not good for the employers or company

stop closing company work together and grow together

Good Place to learn about the industry.

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great training and constant education on the ever changing industry. Very transparent in pricing without any hidden fees. I felt comfortable at the end of the day that I did the right thing for the customer and that they got great service at a fair price.

Cons

The company needs to have better management, there are too many flavor of the month policies that they make you jump through hoops and consume your day with all for the sake of the policy and then they forget about it and move on to the next thing. They have hired people outside the organization that don't know the culture, get a paycheck and don't know what it is like to live on commission only so they just push policy to get their "to do" box checked and don't care if you make money or not.

Stop the WIN mentality. It made people losers, lose interest and do things they might not have done before to get their WIN. The WIN is a big joke in the credit card industry. All the processors know about it and laugh.
    Compensation in the industry is far better than what I was getting. I must admit health insurance is a great perk but it wasn't the best plan coverage and they should give better residual splits for residual accounts only.

Best Company Ever

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

Heartland is a free to work as you like position as long as you are meeting quota. They treat their employees great and compensate them well. They also have great benefits as well. They spend a lot of money tending to their employees as well. Annual Summit cost the company millions of dollars and they do this for their employees every 18 months.

Cons

I know every company has its flaws but I cannot think of anything negative to say.

This is a pyramid scheme with no salary and inept management. Run don't walk from this company!

Former Employee - SPA in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - SPA in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They talk a good game. They regularly steal residuals form senior reps who are making too much.

Cons

No base salary, no equipment provided, managers have no clue what they're doing, micromanagement beyond comprehension.

Learn the products your selling and stop hovering over your reps at all times. Have a soul. If you expect senior payroll reps to come in and one call close complicated HRIS and Payroll solutions you are severely mistaken. Actually train your reps rather than send them out with a long-haired greasy used car salesman that pushes to close products he knows nothing about. Here's an idea have managers that are educated beyond community college and actually understand business beyond work hard and sell your tail off. They are currently having a difficult time finding senior reps to push their HRIS and payroll products. I don't know why since they expect one call closes, micromanage a sales cycle they know nothing about, expect one call closes, and pay no base salary, while offering no training aside from a "sales mentor" who has never sold anything and a few videos on YouTube. If you are looking for a pipe dream and complete organizational incompetence then this is the place for you!

I began to feel uncomfortable.

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home. Make own schedule.
    Great online cloud-based tools to track sales and monitor/help resolve problems for clients.

Cons

Job can easily consume all of your time with sales quota pressures, which destroys the work-life balance you were looking for.
    Changes in policies sometimes contradicted our marketing, so one ends up lying to the client.
    Sales quota pressures led some of my colleagues to be less-than-ethical and were given prizes for their success.

Allow time for new hires to develop into the sales people they can be.
    The WIN program actually helped my income, but made the game unethical and I had to compete with that unethical behavior. It stopped being fun even though I personally was successful.

Roller Coaster ride to Micromanagementville

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Original Comp Plan was nice

Cons

Ridiculous unqualified Sales Management. After 1st year the management in the field is the biggest joke in the industry. HPS's idea of sales management is a bunch of low IQ high ego guys sitting home all day and bombarding the reps with emails, texts, reports, and daily threats.....for a 100% commission job!

Conitinue everything you are doing, I have been at a competitor for over 3 years now and I love going up against scared, desparate HPS reps

First job out of college, learning experience.

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, and relaxed atmosphere. Office culture is very understanding of any home situations and allows WFH when needed.

Cons

After 4 years, my interest of learning has peaked.
    No real training that will allow you to continue growth in your career
    Most learning has come from co-workers
    no documentation or standardization of processes.

Quit wasting money on consultants who do not help and invest in real off site training for current employees

Heart is in the right place.

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time

Pros

The CEO is down to earth and exemplifies the company's culture of caring so that it permeates throughout the company. Everyone I've ever interacted with is with that program so it's very cool to be around folks who feel appreciated and know how to appreciate one another.

Cons

You really want to be about your game and continually up it so there's a realistic intolerance for slackers. You need to be able to make worthwhile contributions or you're not carrying your weight and not everyone is going to reach out to help you.

Stay out in the field more to see the perspective of your workforce.

I have been employed at HPS for over fifteen years at different Levels of Sales, Training, Support and Management.

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Manchester, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Manchester, NH (US)

I have been working at Heartland Payment Systems full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Heartland is a company of integrity and unlimited earning potential with constant technological growth and movement for improved product offering.

Cons

No Sales protected territories limit your earning potential and make the company look bad for having multiple reps calling on the same businesses in the same areas.

Stop squeezing more Sales Reps into areas where current reps are performing above sales Goals

Heartland Payment Systems Photos