Heinz

Updated 17 December 2014
Updated 17 December 2014
2.0

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 33 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Understand the owners and you will understand the work culture

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Opportunity for advancement if you know the right people and act like you are happy working there. Read Bloomberg Businessweek article: Jorge Lemann He is...the world's most interesting bilionaire.

Cons

Cash is king...people are not. Work/life balance is nonexistent. Read: bloomberg Businessweek article: Jorge Lemann He is...the world's most interesting billionaire.

Do not promote or move people into positions where they have no or little experience.

It was a good company

Former Employee - Finance Analyst
    Former Employee - Finance Analyst

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good stable product in the market. Strong Brand.

Cons

Upper Management levels have no plan for Heinz future. Poor leadership and professional skills from Directors and Managers lead unknown decisions to the lower employees. To receive Bonus (if any), you have to be employed to February next year. There is no proper training for you in order to perform your jobs which is sucks. NO value and appreciation at Heinz.

just hurry up to suck your employees blood to cut costs and sell Heinz back to make profit please.

Terrible place

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Heinz

Pros

Used to be a great family, great products.

Cons

Reducing the quality of local products.
    The only chance you have of going forward is if you are money-driven, if you have no moral or ethics, or you are a baby with zero experience put in "good" position with a pay you would never have in real life.
    Culture and values is all based on getting drunk with your colleagues (the only family you will ever see).

Used to be great, could be great still but lots of issues

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Opportunities but only if you have"energy"translation, you are YOUNG with no commitments outside work. And you need to be in the inner circle, translation, Brazilian.

Cons

Some leadership are rude and arrogant. Suspected immigration violations. Mismanagement of elements of supply chain may bring the company's US operations down.

Be respectful towards others at all levels.

Good People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best things about Heinz is the people. Most everyone I know here is hardworking and talented, which is extremely motivating and pushes me to work harder. It's impossible to become complacent, and because of that I've been able to experience significant growth very quickly.

Cons

Not really a con, but understand you will be forced outside of your comfort zone everyday.

Keep up the good work.

It was my passion and second family... till 3G.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are allowed to work all the OT you want and even gain an extra job title thru "merit"...

Cons

Don't expect a pay raise or bonus to follow for all the work you applied.

Spent MANY years working for Heinz.. working hard and long hours was normal.. but then again so was acknowledgement from Pittsburgh that you existed both in pay and in comment. If you want to keep LONG TIME employees from quitting.. stop importing empty college degrees to back fill and push out your core and respect the talent and knowledge base you paid for. Not thinking that will happen so my advice is to find a new buyer before you reduced this once great sports car into a truck on blocks in the front yard (ie barely worth scrap price).

thought it can't get worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you are sacrificing your private life totally you have great career prospects and will be passed through the organisation quickly to fill the plenty vacancies left by disgruntled employees.

Cons

one of the latest news letters was referring to making choices other people might perceive as sacrifices, so that we can write Heinz history.
    What 'choices' are they expecting? I already work 12 hours a day, hardly see my family, never see my friends. Where is the limit of the choices expected of us? Women to chose not to have children so that they can spend more time in the business? Not visiting our ill grandmother? Ruining our marriages through 'choices'?

Matt, Marcos,Nigel, Jan, Julien, Anne - please let us know what 'choices' you want us to make please. At least that way I can prepare myself for which part of my private life is going to be ruined.

Let's go!

Current Employee - Heinz Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Heinz Sales Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

3G have a Great brand, Smart management, and have increased profits short term. The management team know how to cut costs and are experts in measurement and metrics.

Cons

The brand will survive and 3G will make the company profitable short term. We continue to lose major chunks of business. Consumers are actively looking other alternatives. Consumer products are different than any other 3G business. People are unhappy with The Heinz company and with the power of social media, this distaste will only gain momentum.

You have one of the most trusted brands. Find the balance with our customer base and get them back on side. Engage all your customer facing employees. Make sure everyone is on the same page.

Was a good company

Former Employee - Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Payed above average before buyout.

Cons

HR allowed sexual harassment to occur and allowed offenders to continue working without repercussions.

Goals were arbitrary assessed despite have meet clear criteria.

Unclear of strategy and future - still feeling the affects of too much change at once

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New culture is definitely willing to take risk & change. The pendulum has definitely swung from the old Heinz that was a bit too conservative and slow with it's decision making process & layers of approval. Obviously this can be a good thing if used wisely - unfortunately this new trait has been Management's downfall as well.

Cons

Could write several pages on the ways their arrogance and forcefulness to take risk & drive change has also lead to extremely poor culture and work environment. Too many new people starting and no one is left to do the teaching - I agree you need new blood, fresh ideas, but some fundamental transfer knowledge has to occur in order to build momentum the right way. Management has ignored this and as a result has felt the pain. Departments like Supply Chain, Finance and Marketing are at the brunt of this transition and continue to see chaos, long hours, unreasonable demands put upon them with the number of people with institutional knowledge leaving each day. Also - the new people become frustrated because there is chaos (lack of leadership / direction) and it's expected that you will work 60+ hours a week just to stay afloat (on meaningless detail to keep this micromanaged).

Think about your culture more - you are coming up with a lot of window dressing to make folks think it's a good environment to work in - but trust is your biggest issue. Things like your Meritocracy message is a joke, people see thru this. Certain areas are getting hammered with unclear direction - Supply Chain, Finance - constant change of course and new ways of working that are simply being drilled down to the rank & file to follow and change daily, which only results in them reinventing their job each day & becoming frustrated with all the new process changes & demands being put on them. Not to mention there is no forgiveness for having a lack of resources....the expectation is get it done (even if 1/2 of your department is gone).