Heinz Reviews

Updated 27 September 2014
Updated 27 September 2014
2.2

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is unapologetic about lack of work-life balance (in 29 reviews)

• No work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Run by Brazilian Teens

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Used to be great- not many positives now

Cons

So much loss of expertise and experience and knowledge has been replaced by Brazilian kids with little if any experience

Sad to see what has happened to a former USA owned company.

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Flex hours, working one day at home and knowing that you work for a company who produces some of the best products in the world.

Cons

Horrible working environment--open floor with tables, not even cubes and therefore very distracting and noisy; employees are unhappy, stressed and over worked partially due to the high turnover and influx of temporary and new employees all cross training..

Company planted reviews reveal how bad things are....

Current Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Heinz used to be a great place to work. Now, it's a joke, but if you need a job and aren't picky about low pay, no work life balance and terrible benefits, this may be the place for you.

Cons

If you read the recent five-star reviews, they all have the same buzzwords - mainly because they are all written by Heinz HR. It's an open secret that Glassdoor reviews are harming HR's ability to keep up with the hiring necessary to replace the constant outflow of employees. It is so bad that people are quitting after only a week or two on the job - but the five star reviews keep spouting lines about "meritocracy" and "exciting culture." The truth is it IS an exciting culture because you never know when you are going to get screamed at by a manager or when a long-time employee is walked off property by security because they dared to question some of the unethical things that the new management is doing. Heinz has cut all the fat as well as all the talented, tenured employees who made the company run. Anyone who is left with any experience is most likely looking for a new job.

There's no advice that management would take. They are set on following their playbook and do not care for the long term consequences to the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better, stronger, faster.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ownership, accountability, leaders willing to take risk, if you stick around, you'll get promoted by default, the younger you are - the more likely you will be able to keep up with the changes and pace, being 6 months in a role can make you the most senior person on a team.

Cons

Lack of CPG knowledge, executing technology platform changes without the proper up front work (SAP was a nightmare and still is), increased workload for everyone given lay offs and struggling to hire talent, poor/no retention tactics, your ideas aren't appreciated - only following orders as questions aren't encouraged unless you want to look like someone who is not supportive, promotions with title and responsibility increases, but no matching compensation increase, staying in hotels that you would not stay on your own dime in fear of your safety given the rate caps

Heinz needs to acquire healthier brands and understand the future landscape of the CPG industry. Their participation in declining categories (both in terms of consumption and households) is not the recipe of success. When this company goes public again, the accounting tricks and horrible comp year will be smoke and mirrors on the balance sheet as the cost cutting is not sustainable.

Also, use the pronoun "she" versus "he" ALWAYS. The majority of 3G employees now Heinz are Brazilian men and they have a hard time acknowledging women in the workplace.

Great brands, smart hard working people and huge potential for rapid growth and advancement.

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a true meritocracy, where all objectives are transparently shared, and you are rewarded and promoted based on your results. Smart people and tight teams who support me so we all win together. Demanding but rewarding environment to rise fast.

Cons

All goals are fixed and out in the open, so if your having a bad year, there's nowhere to hide. The huge plus is, you're not carrying any dead weight from slackers not applying themselves.

I've been extremely impressed with leadership, the VP's and Directors are all good, smart people who I respect. The Heinz training workshops are great, and the social events are valuable too, I'd just ask to keep going even further in those directions with more celebrations of our achievements.

Great in the beginning and most of my career there, terrible towards the end.

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to work with many different groups of people; promotions for some people; HGPS when upper management cared about it; Employee trainings

Cons

Endless conference calls and web meetings; Employee engagement efforts all cancelled due to cost; Terrible work-life balance towards the end of my career there; Many cuts in benefits and retirement after sale of company; Morale was at all time low when I left.

Micro-managing needs to stop; there's more to a company than cutting costs

Progressive.

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

The opportunities that are available

Cons

very poor work life balance

Though times, future looks brighter

Current Employee - R&D Manager  in  Nijmegen (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Nijmegen (Netherlands)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Career opportunities, endless challenges, possibility to drive change, very high accountability, aggressive compensation.
    You are expected to act as the owner of the business and justify every single expense and decision. Financial results come first in everything you do. This is actually positive, driving the correct mindset: this is not a charity. If we won't make more money, we shouldn't do it.
    If pure capitalism appeals to you and you can manage how much you are willing to give away in exchange for the salary you get, it can work very well for you. If you are expecting values, ethics, respect and purpose, look somewhere else.

Cons

No work-life balance, you are expected to be in the office at least 12 hours a day, some very narrow-minded cost cuttings, such as eliminating corporate cell phones and slowing down internet speed, without realizing the impact it has on overheads and loss of efficiency.
    Very high people turnover at moment, as the new approach does not please most of the existing employees. It is a new company, from the old Heinz, the only thing left is the name. People do not matter, they are just costs. We will suck your blood until you are dry and then we will replace you. If you can cope with this approach for a while, it offers good opportunities

Be more sensible with the choices. Some cost-reductions will soon prove to drive additional costs due to lost efficiency.

It was a group of mostly personable people and a valuable learning experience

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was an enjoyable corporate environment as well as very professional. A few of my co-workers became some of my good friends during my time there. The many things I learned during my time allowed me for much personal growth.

Cons

There were some things about the company that were very rigid. There also wasn't very much room for promotion or growth within the company.

I would recommend that they continue growing their business with their core beliefs in mind because that is what had driven the company to where it is today.

More heart breaking than a World Cup semi final loss

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A great place to switch careers. Know nothing about CPG? Great, come on over.

You like multi-tasking? Great, you can have the five jobs of your colleagues who just left

You want to save on rent – rent an apartment on an hourly rate, you only need to be home 2 hours a day

You want to learn another language? Have a go at Brazinglish.

Cons

Translation from Portuguese to English is often confusing and frequently disappoints – ‘Nepotism’ in Portuguese translates as ‘Meritocracy’ in English.

It really is a dream job if you’re from Brazil or another South American country, move HQ to Rio and rename Maracana Stadium Heinz field.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!