Heinz Reviews

Updated 10 September 2014
Updated 10 September 2014
2.2

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz (in 26 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Disappointing

Former Employee - Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are none anymore. A shell of the once great company that Henry Heinz built.

Cons

Went from a collaborative culture where the customer comes first to a cutthroat, cost driven company. There is no team anymore. All the talent was laid off, has left or is looking to leave. People being promoted into manager, director positions in order to keep them from leaving.

Sell to someone who will run it right

Give us your tired, your poor, your inexperienced and unqualified...

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a constant source of new and ever younger friends to make due to the ungodly turn over. Open offices are such a step up from those isolating and non-collaborative cubes and offices. Not having any of those expensive pens, paper, and supplies mean you never have to write anything down! It's Nirvana.

Cons

New Management with no knowledge of the Industry. Coworkers that don't know what to do because the majority have been hired in the past year and have no clue. Zero respect for our people, our partners,our products, or the company's history. Deteriorating customer relationships. Many promotions of people not ready and not qualified. No organization with multiple people working on the exact same tasks. Usually the with tasks.

Luckily any potential employee can read their play book Double Your Profits in Six Months or Less and the make a decision if this is a place you want to work. Please read it and make a decision from there. The reality of the situation is they've taken all the worst aspects of the book, implemented them with the subtleness of a sledgehammer and then layered on management incompetence. That is a recipe for uncontrollable turn over, unlivable hours, and anger and resentment that is boiling over from both old and new employees. From an employees perspective this is the single worst place to work in Pittsburgh.

I think the vote is in on what people think of this place. Almost every original Heinz employee is gone. You can't explain that away as negative people unwilling to change. Look in the mirror. Something else is going on.

You wanted a new company and culture now you got it. Almost everyone is gone and now there is no one to blame but each other. Let the internal finger pointing, blaming, and power struggles begin. The Potemkin Village you've created with the outside world is beginning fall down around you.

Company planted reviews reveal how bad things are....

Current Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Heinz used to be a great place to work. Now, it's a joke, but if you need a job and aren't picky about low pay, no work life balance and terrible benefits, this may be the place for you.

Cons

If you read the recent five-star reviews, they all have the same buzzwords - mainly because they are all written by Heinz HR. It's an open secret that Glassdoor reviews are harming HR's ability to keep up with the hiring necessary to replace the constant outflow of employees. It is so bad that people are quitting after only a week or two on the job - but the five star reviews keep spouting lines about "meritocracy" and "exciting culture." The truth is it IS an exciting culture because you never know when you are going to get screamed at by a manager or when a long-time employee is walked off property by security because they dared to question some of the unethical things that the new management is doing. Heinz has cut all the fat as well as all the talented, tenured employees who made the company run. Anyone who is left with any experience is most likely looking for a new job.

There's no advice that management would take. They are set on following their playbook and do not care for the long term consequences to the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Who are these people?

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The old Heinz was like a family - it definitely had its issues and problems, but we all loved working there. You can see from the real posts on here how much people cared about that place and its brands. It is amazing to me, now working at a new company (which is also very highly respected), how good Heinz was at what we did and how well run the company was. This new Heinz is an embarassment to all the hardworking people that made the old Heinz what it was.

Cons

It is unbelieveable to me how little these people know about running a company, let alone a CPG company. They basically fired anyone who knew how to run the company and hired minions to run their errands or meaningless reports and calls. There is definitely some questionable actions taking place there that borders on illegal and is definitely unethical. Is this what the Heinz Board wanted for this treasured Pittsburgh proud company? Is this what H.J. Heinz would have wanted for this family started business? These people don't even know what Gravy is! The Chief Marketing Officer had to ask why we had so much inventory of this product in October and wanted us to shutdown the factory, yet he had no idea what the product was. We had to explain Thanksgiving to him. And he is going to help grow the company how?

They promise big salaries and bonuses, ok this may be true. Divide this big salary by the hours you are working, you would be making more per hour if you went to McDonalds. Companies HR departments are onto Heinz and their fake titles and salaries - so tread lightly when going to a new job - anything within the past year will not be considered.

Stooping to low levels such as posting fake positive reviews is sickening to me. Who would want to work for a company like this?! Not providing pens or paper for your employees to do their jobs is assanine. Is this what Warren Buffet thinks is a good business plan? I mean seriously, who are these people. This is not Brazil and cannot be run like workplaces there. This is America where we have options, we don't need to wear uniforms to work, and we place more value on ourselves than to be beaten down and told we should feel lucky to have a job.

Keep doing what you are doing. You will tank this company and we will read about it.

Sad to see what has happened to a former USA owned company.

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Flex hours, working one day at home and knowing that you work for a company who produces some of the best products in the world.

Cons

Horrible working environment--open floor with tables, not even cubes and therefore very distracting and noisy; employees are unhappy, stressed and over worked partially due to the high turnover and influx of temporary and new employees all cross training..

Better, stronger, faster.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ownership, accountability, leaders willing to take risk, if you stick around, you'll get promoted by default, the younger you are - the more likely you will be able to keep up with the changes and pace, being 6 months in a role can make you the most senior person on a team.

Cons

Lack of CPG knowledge, executing technology platform changes without the proper up front work (SAP was a nightmare and still is), increased workload for everyone given lay offs and struggling to hire talent, poor/no retention tactics, your ideas aren't appreciated - only following orders as questions aren't encouraged unless you want to look like someone who is not supportive, promotions with title and responsibility increases, but no matching compensation increase, staying in hotels that you would not stay on your own dime in fear of your safety given the rate caps

Heinz needs to acquire healthier brands and understand the future landscape of the CPG industry. Their participation in declining categories (both in terms of consumption and households) is not the recipe of success. When this company goes public again, the accounting tricks and horrible comp year will be smoke and mirrors on the balance sheet as the cost cutting is not sustainable.

Also, use the pronoun "she" versus "he" ALWAYS. The majority of 3G employees now Heinz are Brazilian men and they have a hard time acknowledging women in the workplace.

It was a group of mostly personable people and a valuable learning experience

Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Intern in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz as an intern for less than a year

Pros

It was an enjoyable corporate environment as well as very professional. A few of my co-workers became some of my good friends during my time there. The many things I learned during my time allowed me for much personal growth.

Cons

There were some things about the company that were very rigid. There also wasn't very much room for promotion or growth within the company.

I would recommend that they continue growing their business with their core beliefs in mind because that is what had driven the company to where it is today.

Though times, future looks brighter

Current Employee - R&D Manager  in  Nijmegen (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - R&D Manager in Nijmegen (Netherlands)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Career opportunities, endless challenges, possibility to drive change, very high accountability, aggressive compensation.
    You are expected to act as the owner of the business and justify every single expense and decision. Financial results come first in everything you do. This is actually positive, driving the correct mindset: this is not a charity. If we won't make more money, we shouldn't do it.
    If pure capitalism appeals to you and you can manage how much you are willing to give away in exchange for the salary you get, it can work very well for you. If you are expecting values, ethics, respect and purpose, look somewhere else.

Cons

No work-life balance, you are expected to be in the office at least 12 hours a day, some very narrow-minded cost cuttings, such as eliminating corporate cell phones and slowing down internet speed, without realizing the impact it has on overheads and loss of efficiency.
    Very high people turnover at moment, as the new approach does not please most of the existing employees. It is a new company, from the old Heinz, the only thing left is the name. People do not matter, they are just costs. We will suck your blood until you are dry and then we will replace you. If you can cope with this approach for a while, it offers good opportunities

Be more sensible with the choices. Some cost-reductions will soon prove to drive additional costs due to lost efficiency.

Insert buzz words or cliche title here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is aggressively hiring due to the large amount of job openings because of extreme turnover. They care so much about their Glassdoor reviews that they are quite 'driven' to submit reviews in order to boost their ratings. Great place for college kids to get some experience before working for a legitimate organization.

Cons

Unbelievably dysfunctional and our reputation with our customers is terribly hostile. Long days spent on fixing broken processes and putting out fires instead of actually adding value. Cult like propaganda about changing the food industry, vision, values, etc. is all lip service. I'm probably obligated to mention how some people are resistant to change in this section too....yeah....that's the problem....?!

Please ACTUALLY be transparent about the performance of the organization. Sending out weekly newsletters filled with propaganda and battle cries is all smoke and mirrors. The goals are terribly confusing and individuals have no idea how they are tracking.

Corporate management trainee

Former Employee - Corporate Management Trainee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Management Trainee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive earning potential, perhaps 5 years from today things will be better once the New management have left the company.

Cons

As a new college grad I was excited at the prospect of working for a company like Heinz, but soon after starting in the Corporate Management Trainee program, I realized the big mistake I was about to make, had I stayed with them. Zero strategic direction, these young New managers have no clue what they are doing. There are 2-3 of them who are solid and keep the other sheep in line, but that's just a disaster waiting to happen. I was jerked back and forth between 5 positions in 3 months, received no formal training of any sort, worked long hours (14 hrs/day), obviously just like many others say there is no work life balance (even though that's not an issue for me). Compounding these issues was seeing the old Heinz employees humiliated by these clueless people, to me that's not ok.

College grads: if you are considering working for Heinz, know that Heinz is not what used to be. If you are not in the inner circle, you will not advance in this company. Stay away from Heinz.

Any advice given to the current management will fall on deaf ears... Nothing will deter them, they make a lot of money and don't care about anything and anyone.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!