Heinz Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014
Updated 27 August 2014

2.2

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz (in 26 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the place it was or could be...

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A few very good people still left behind
    Some "old" culture is still shimmering beneath the surface which means flexibility is still a massive attribute to an employee...

Cons

Currently there are too many to list but some major ones are:
    No clear long term strategy - the only strategy is cost saving which has become obstructive and is negatively impacting the business to a point which is no longer sustainable
    Current leadership speak of meritocracy but this is only true at the higher levels of management- lower levels are no longer provided with their own objectives and if they are, these can no longer directly influence an employees bonus.
    The great loss of staff, initially through redundancy and now through voluntary losses, as people have had enough, means there is too much to do and unable to do your job properly has become the norm and is almost accepted
    The greatest sadness is the fact that the leadership have broken the life and soul out of so many people and seem to be oblivious to it, especially if you are not based at WHQ

Start talking about true strategies and start looking around you and hear what people are really saying... And if you aren't hearing the above then know it's because people are fearful. That's not a great way to motivate people, start making employees feel like they are a valuable asset again.

Great in the beginning and most of my career there, terrible towards the end.

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ability to work with many different groups of people; promotions for some people; HGPS when upper management cared about it; Employee trainings

Cons

Endless conference calls and web meetings; Employee engagement efforts all cancelled due to cost; Terrible work-life balance towards the end of my career there; Many cuts in benefits and retirement after sale of company; Morale was at all time low when I left.

Micro-managing needs to stop; there's more to a company than cutting costs

used to be good place

I worked at Heinz

Pros

There are not to many anymore.

Cons

They don't care about there employees other then if you don't like it find another place to work.

none

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging but learned lot!

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quick promotions
    Huge bonus
    cool downtown Pittsburgh office
    Ambition is rewarded if backed by results
    Saw the company transform completely in two years from a good place to work to very competitive
    I learned a lot in my two years here. However I was a unique case and the company is no longer marketing centric.

Cons

Private equity owned
    Arbitrary decisions
    Management plays favorites
    Expected to work very long hours

Find employees willingly to work long hours and be on the job 24/7. Needs to be more communication about organizational changes.

New challenges, better world.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

Since joining Heinz, I have yet to see any of the 'horror stories' that people post about on Glassdoor. The open floor plan exposes you, yes, but why hide away in a cubicle all day? The open office culture actually forces people to collaborate, work together, and (heaven forbid!) interact. The management is present everwhere and everyday, which I think is very rare for global corporations these days. They truly care about more than just the business. They care about the people that drive the business. I am in full support of the 'Voluntary Resignation Program' that happened in Pittsburgh-- if you don't align yourself with the company's new culture, management, vision/values, then you are being given the option to take your talents elsewhere. There has never been a truer statement than "you get out of it what you put in". Yes, the work is challenging and demanding. But if it wasn't then you aren't growing yourself as a person. If you ever get to the point where you aren't being pushed and challenged, then the issue lies within yourself, not the company. The 3G cost-cutting culture is completely justified and is a fantastic business model that other companies should strive to emulate. If it is this evil culture that so many people desribe, then why are they so successful? Instead of critisizing the cost-cutting, people should take a step back and take it upon themselves to understand the business case behind each expenditure and each cut that occurs.

Cons

Transformations and transitions don't happen over night but it is still challenging to get used to new systems and processes. Something goes wrong with your laptop? Put in a HelpDesk request to someone that has taken days to respond to me before. Need to find out who reports to who? Organizational charts don't exist. Need simple supplies like pens/envelopes/paper? Contact facilities requesting the supplies- but you can only receive a certain amount and you have to sign them out... frustrating! Need to order or pay for something? You better make sure it's justifiable or the lowest cost possible or ZBB will come after you!

Keep living the vision and values. Be as transparent and present as possible to the employees- both in Pittsburgh and globally. The more your employees see you interacting on another level besides being a name on an email or a newsletter, it humanizes you.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are none anymore. A shell of the once great company that Henry Heinz built.

Cons

Went from a collaborative culture where the customer comes first to a cutthroat, cost driven company. There is no team anymore. All the talent was laid off, has left or is looking to leave. People being promoted into manager, director positions in order to keep them from leaving.

Sell to someone who will run it right

WAS a great compny

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

Great opportunities for those who applies themselves

Cons

Jobs were sometimes monotonousshould have kept the Pocatello shining factory open

A shadow of a once-great company, reduced to fake five star reviews

Former Employee - Finance Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Finance Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The brand name still means something, for a while. It won't last because the new ownership are cutting costs wherever they can and you can safely bet that will include the quality ingredients that go into the products that bear the name "Heinz."

Cons

Oh, where to start? I suppose I could address the recent five start reviews that have cropped up here. There's the long work hours - long not because we are working on some new amazing product or great project that will revolutionize the industry. They are long because new ownership came in, eliminated whole departments (ahem, logistics) without understanding the impact, and the few that are left are shouldering the burden of two or three positions. There's the open office environment - a "collaborative" environment where you have no privacy to call a customer or supplier, where your trips to the bathroom are monitored, and where the occasional Heinz "battle cry" is shouted across the floor like a spastic episode. There's the reduced access to supplies to do our jobs - we have to sign out PENS, and I've heard people at nearby tables complain that the factory employees can barely run because they can't order the things they need. That's smart - limit the locations that literally make the product you rely on for your job. There's the ownership/meritocracy concept that's tossed around, but really, the only people benefiting are Brazilians (shocking) and young folks right out of college who are working 14 hour days because they have no families to go home to. And then there's the double standard - how we all must take ethics training and swear on a picture of the Brazilian national soccer team that we don't work for a competitor or a supplier or anyone that would remotely give the appearance of impropriety. And yet.....our dear CEO remains on the Burger King board. And we are shocked when our foodservice customers leave us for a competitor. Which brings me to my final con - double standards. Every department in Heinz is asked to do more (or do the impossible) with less except for one - Human Resources. HR originally took a headcount hit like everyone else, but they've been slowly adding all those heads back....and more. I'm guessing that keeping caught up with all the honest Glassdoor reviews requires extra manpower?

And folks reading this: Heinz is NOT going to get better in the near future. They offered a voluntary resignation program - basically paying people to leave who were not on board with their culture, and people JUMPED at the opportunity to take it. One of two waves left on Friday. The next big wave leaves in November. These are not people who were there for a few years. Heinz is losing decades and decades of knowledge and experience that can't be replaced by a battle cry. And a lot of that knowledge and experience just went to the competitors....and they have an ax to grind.

None. Or, none that you'd listen to. If you listened, I could say something terse like another review did ("leave") or plead for you to "value and listen to your people! They are your best asset!" But you won't listen. You'll keep clear-cutting through this great company, until one day when you'll cut a crucial element, and you'll bring the whole enterprise down.

I made a mistake coming here.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pittsburgh is a great town.

Cons

I don't know where to start. This company is being liquidized to line the pockets of buffet and his cronies. There will be nothing left when that are done.
    Absolute dysfunction.
    Please realize all these 5 star reviews are FAKE. They have lost all the employees and are trying to hire fresh meat to keep the lights on while they finish stripping the company.

Posting fake reviews?! Really?!

Insert buzz words or cliche title here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is aggressively hiring due to the large amount of job openings because of extreme turnover. They care so much about their Glassdoor reviews that they are quite 'driven' to submit reviews in order to boost their ratings. Great place for college kids to get some experience before working for a legitimate organization.

Cons

Unbelievably dysfunctional and our reputation with our customers is terribly hostile. Long days spent on fixing broken processes and putting out fires instead of actually adding value. Cult like propaganda about changing the food industry, vision, values, etc. is all lip service. I'm probably obligated to mention how some people are resistant to change in this section too....yeah....that's the problem....?!

Please ACTUALLY be transparent about the performance of the organization. Sending out weekly newsletters filled with propaganda and battle cries is all smoke and mirrors. The goals are terribly confusing and individuals have no idea how they are tracking.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!