Heinz

Updated 24 November 2014
Updated 24 November 2014
2.1

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 31 reviews)

• No work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Who needs benefits or a work/life balance when you have a Battle Cry?

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heinz remains an iconic brand whose flagship product is the gold standard against which other ketchups are judged. Historically, it was a CPG company that fought above its weight-class, largely due to the people who drove quality and innovation. It was an exciting company that was able to attract top industry talent.

Cons

3G has successfully devolved a fun, challenging work environment into a dystopian hell-scape that would fit into an Orwell novel. Corporate double-speak is at an all-time high, employees fear being fired constantly (while vetting out their resumes quietly to colleagues who have found work in greener pastures), and the new Heinz Battle Cry ™ is bleated in every meeting to rouse the workers into accepting the Exciting New Culture ™ and striving towards Meritocracy ™ while they watch helplessly as their paychecks are whittled away by disappearing benefits and their work/life balance is imploded by the new reality of the hours they must spend at work.

3G/Berkshire Hathaway have essentially taken a lean public company, taken it private, and saddled it with an extraordinary amount of debt with no clear path to repayment. The cost cutting measures – the savings in electricity from the lack of office mini-fridges, the reams of paper saved with copier lockdowns, the high tenure/high pay employees replaced by low-cost temps, the factory closures – aren’t enough. The renegotiating of freight contracts backfired when the freight companies simply stopped moving Heinz’s products from the distribution centers to the customers. The change in payment terms to vendors backfired when the vendors simply stopped providing the goods and services and sent Heinz to third-party collections. The deep cuts to R&D and marketing have backfired in the form of lower sales and customers leaving Heinz for competitors. The employee layoffs and voluntary resignation program have backfired: employees with experience and a true love of Heinz have left (many have gone to competitors), and they have been replaced by the young, the inexperienced, and the cheap. And replacing the executives with cronies from Brazil has backfired – they don’t understand why, for example, Heinz would make a lot of gravy before the month of November.

The current state of Heinz is this: as another review eloquently stated, employees have gone from being an asset to a cost. 3G will squeeze every cent they can from an employee, and once they are used up, they toss them out and hire a new one. Entire levels have been removed from the organization, but none of the work has been removed. This means that employees are working ten, eleven, or twelve hour days every day. They are working evenings, early mornings, weekends, and holidays. The work they are doing is not value-added – it’s busy-work and double work because the systems that 3G have implemented are terrible and broken. Employees are no longer given goals or performance reviews; instead, meritocracy states that good ideas and hard work will get you promoted. However, if all you are doing every day is updating a daily dashboard and pleading with irate vendors to not cut off service, you have no time to innovate or improve systems. Further, because of the overwhelming workload, you can’t rely on your manager to help and you can’t rely on your cross-functional team to help. Despite the unifying efforts of the Heinz Battle Cry ™, morale is at an all-time low and teamwork is a joke.

Many of the positive reviews here (allegedly company-planted) use buzzwords praising the new young culture that embraces change. It is insulting to have it stated that the reason people are disgruntled is because they cannot deal with the changes. Heinz existed for well over a hundred years before 3G and their ilk came in, and the company passed its centennial mark because of employees’ ability to embrace change and be innovative thinkers. I believe that most of the positive reviews are company-planted since they are as tone-deaf as anything coming out of the Heinz Human Resources department lately. The company can continue buying into their buzzwords – the exciting culture, the meritocracy – but they do so at their own peril. Ignoring the real problems they are facing on all fronts – with their employees, with their vendors, and (most importantly) with their customers – will be Heinz’ downfall, and all the battle cry yelling won’t help.

There is no advice that Heinz will take from me. I would only hope that 3G and Berkshire Hathaway finish up their project quickly. No one likes to see a beloved company in its long, inevitable march to the grave. Sell the assets, sell the brands, sell the furniture, make your profit, and move on to the next victim (sorry Tim Horton’s – loved your TimBits).

Rapidly approaching rock bottom

Current Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At the rate that we're going, there is no where to go but up. They've cut every cost, removed almost every benefit and had almost every experienced employee quit.

Cons

The place is really in turmoil right now. Morale is very very bad. This is true for the few remaining "old Heinz" employees as well as the plethora of new employees hired over the past 18 months to fill the holes. It is so bad that the many of the new employees already have their resumes on the job market. HR and 3G/Berkshire have tried to build a picture of a great and well run company, but when people join and see the reality it is a bucket of cold water in the face.

The hiring process has become a joke. In the supply chain area they've brought in people that can't do the job into all of the key leadership positions. They have no experience at all in the areas that they've been hired to lead. This has caused an even further lowering of the morale because we see that they aren't even serious about hiring the right people to lead and correct our current downward spiral. We're left with an every man for themself attitude with pointless meetings, reports, and data that isn't impacting anything positively.

It seriously is as bad as all the negative reviews posted on this site say.

Clean house in Supply Chain and Logistics. It is killing the company right now. Try and hire back some of the people that left to lead. We really need help and direction.

Great Company and Culture

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, heritage, brands and people
    Fast-paced, competitive culture, action-oriented, things get done quickly
    Good salary and benefits
    Visibility to leadership
    Quick advancement and promotion opportunities available to those who work hard
    We've had an amazing year and I expect that things will only get better

Cons

People often complain about a lack of work/life balance, however there are hardly few people physically present in the office after 6 p.m.

As a result of rapid advancement, employees are not always well-equipped to manage teams of people. Would be helpful for HR to provide more manager resources, etc. to best-position them for success in their new roles.

Continue to recognize the hard work and dedication of employees who continuously go above and beyond

Can I give negative stars

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Resume builder. More words to fill this space. Truly, there are no pros. So sad.

Cons

HR posting fake 5 star reviews on Glassdoor!Benefits reduced. Morale terrible. No work/life balance. RUN!

Owners: Sell your shares and go home. You are ruining this piece of Pittsburgh and American tradition.

Bad Environment, Even Worse Career Move

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's really hard to think of any pros. If there are any, they will soon be taken away. At the end of this year they are taking away the employee parking lot for us employees downtown. Can't wait to spend more money on parking to work at this place!

Cons

Another retailer just dropped one of our to brands due to poor service levels. This is becoming a frequent occurrence and the organization has just become numb to this type of news.

Just please get it over with. Get your return on gutting this company and go.

I Feel Obliged To Write A Review...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

Now, there are very few. There were some very talented people, who were excellent to work with. However due to 3G's ownership most have left - either through resignation or redundancy.

Cons

To start off I must declare I have recently left Heinz (voluntarily). I was never planning to write a review on here, but after hearing of more redundancies today I feel obliged to warn my fellow FMCG colleagues in Melbourne before they consider applying for a job at Heinz (although I would say its common industry knowledge anyhow).

My watch outs:

1. The initial round of cost cutting post the 3G buyout was probably justifiable, but the second round is mind-boggling. To the point where I can't fathom how anyone can do their jobs there... Unless they are prepared to work 18 hours a day... However that suits the 3G philosophy. To give you an idea Heinz used to fill 2 and a half floors in Freshwater Place - now it could easily fit into 3/4 of one floor.

2. The new Senior Management have no Australian experience - the new MD no FMCG experience (investment banker). Not a major issue in itself but then why would you make redundant all your experienced senior staff? It's headless chicken stuff.... There is a MAJOR knowledge gap now.

3. There is no culture in the place. None....

4. My team was brought into a room two months ago to be told there was to be no more restructuring after the Senior Exec team were cut. However that has proven to be a massive lie. End result = zero trust in senior management.

5. The Grad recruitment drive.... Apparently 25 are starting early next year, however I have no idea who will mentor/train them. Rumour is that's why there's a recruitment freeze - the grads will fill the void. My advice to graduates thinking about joining... You need a stable environment to develop into your careers - not to be thrown into the deep end with no one to turn to.

There are some other minor ones such as having zero benefits - even the staff shop disappeared never to return. End of the day people at Heinz are a cost on the balance sheet - not an asset, and that's the main reason I left....

There are plenty of other alternatives to working at Heinz in Melbourne... You'll need someone to help shift those boxes...

Brazilian leaders don't listen

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

None anymore since 3G bought the company

Cons

Opinions - not wanted unless you are brazilan

Sell the company as soon as you can.

The Worst Experience That a Minority Employee Can Have in The U.S.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid holidays. Good health benefits.

Cons

Extreme lack of diversity. Poor treatment of employees. Lack of collaborative support. Tons of backstabbing. No opportunities for advancement

I don't even know where to start!

Fantastic Career Opportunity

Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Exposure to Executive Management Team; Variety of projects; Broad experience across the business; High earning potential; fun, talented and smart colleagues; global leading brands; iconic history; strong vision and values; ethical business practices; focus on CSR and giving back to the community; focused on developing talent and recruiting top talent

Cons

Challenging goals and high sense of urgency; always pushing to do better

Continue to offer employee benefits to increase morale

Challenging and Exciting Environment

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

Huge opportunity as a young person. They will give you a chance. There is so much to learn and it is so fast-paced and challenging. I love it here.

Cons

Still working on building morale. Changes scare some, but it is really