Hendrick Medical Center
www.ehendrick.org Abilene , TX

Hendrick Medical Center Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

My experience at HMC was a learning one.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hendrick Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe co-workers and supervisors all very supportive

Consdealing with charting changes and computers

Opportunities for some employees

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center

ProsThere are a few outstanding employees. The hospital's reputation.

ConsMany employes are slackers, bullies, or sluggishly preparing for retirement.

Bully coworkers and managers. Don't be fooled by the bullies who cloak themselves with a cross, scripture, and in church attendance. They can be surprisingly cruel.

Many have worked here for 25+ years and aren't interested in considering other approaches. Close-minded. They haven't worked anywhere else to see other approaches used.

Closed to outsiders. If you aren't from here, don't look like them, dress like them, talk like them, or eat like them, you are viewed negatively.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair. Get out on the front lines periodically to see how work really gets done. Don't waste time asking for suggestions for improvement if you don't plan to do anything with it.

Politics

Phlebotomist (Former Employee)

I worked at Hendrick Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEasy to get in. Hours are decent.

ConsUnless you know someone you will never advance in this hospital. It's about who you know and not what you know. Politics play a huge part in this job. Interviewing for advancement doesn't mean a thing unless you know someone. If they "like" you, you're in. If not, you're screwed.

The pay is also the worse when it comes to the medical field. They spend so much money on the hospital but yet, cut back overtime opportunities, pay, raises and bonuses. Short staffed, constant call-ins and hiring the wrong kind of people make this a difficult environment to work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to ask for opinions then take them into consideration. Train your employees well so they feel comfortable working. Throwing people out there isn't going to benefit the patients or the hospital. Your patients are people not a number. This hospital has fallen far from the family environment. Greed has taken over and this is why people look down at this hospital.

Good atmosphere, bad pay.

Medical Office Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsGood coworkers, interesting job, self fulfillment, medical experience, good benefits.

ConsBelow average pay. Disrespectful patients, stressful situations where you have to make quick decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMuch much better base pay for most positions

There's room for improvement

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHendrick is a hospital that serves surrounding the counties. Many patients who come to the Trauma Center do not see a Primary Care Physician. The Trauma Center "is" their Primary Physician. Some parts of the hospital are new and fresh and look nice.

ConsSome older parts of the facility look worn, sad, run down, and depressing. Also, many visitors look lost and ask for directions. Improved signage could help them get to their destinations more easily.
The cafeteria seating area is dirty and crowded. Many visitors and employees come to the cafeteria to enjoy a few minutes before getting back to work or caring for loved ones.

Advice to Senior Management1) A fresh coat of paint (not a dull, drab color) -- different colors based on which wing it is -- and new flooring would do wonders. It doesn't have to be expensive, just new and fresh and easy to clean. 2) Install clear signage/directions for visitors and new employees to help them get to their desired destinations. 3) Reinstall/replace the sliding glass door that doesn't seal properly, that allows insects, leaves, and trash to enter the hospital. 4) Remove carpeting and fabric on chairs in cafeteria. You can't sanitize fabric or carpet. Install seating and vinyl or tile that can easily be cleaned and sanitized. You can't keep the cafeteria too clean.

Great Workplace

RN, Operating Room Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEncourage growth, positive, most employees have good attitude.

ConsA lot of red tape to get approvals for staff, capital expenditures, etc

11 years of hell

Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Hendrick Medical Center

ProsIn today's economy... It's a job. Lots of good people to work with.
You just can't trust any of them....

ConsIt's a big high school. Constant gossip traveling the halls. Even the cafeteria is a reminder of school. Various clicks sitting at the same tables everyday. And if you do not live a lifestyle they see fit then
You have a target on your back. Management ask employees for ideas on how to improve and even form committees, but in the end they do what is financially beneficial instead of improving quality of care. If you need a job in healthcare, look else where.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit controlling your employees like they do people in north Korea. Your employees are the back bone of any business. How many good employees do you have to run off before you realize your treating them like dirt?

Can not in good concious recommend to others for work or certin types of care

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center

ProsGenerally have equipment to work with.

ConsPoor supervisors support, supervisor not visible, lack of communication

Advice to Senior ManagementMore visibility, more positive attitude, more positive role models. Less lateral violence in the work place.

My experience at hendrick has been very disapointing.

CNA (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hendrick Medical Center

ProsI enjoy some of the people I work with and my patients.

ConsI don't make enough money for what I do. My boss is biased, if the peons have issues at work she shrugs it off but if the nurses have issues then we get confronted about it. Some of our nurses are too lazy. If they wanted to sit around and be lazy they shouldn't have went to school for nursing,

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish management would stop being tight wads and start paying a decent wage and I wish they would hire nurses that want to do their job,

Worked for Hendrick Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hendrick Medical Center reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Hendrick Medical Center employees.