www.hcmc.org

Updated 23 October 2014
Updated 23 October 2014
3.2

David Jones

HCMC is one of the best hospital to work in the downtown minneapolis area in Minnesota. The organization have a great work ethics and their care is centered around family. Working there is a privilege.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They have a very great health benefits. Motivating salary, and incentives for well job done.

Cons

They organization should try to balance the patient to nurse ratio in terms of staffing.

Keep the good work going.

This was a very rewarding education experience

Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you gain a lot of knowledge and it teaches you to want to give more for those in need

Cons

Getting management to listen to employees input

please listen to the people who do the job because somethings look good from a distance but there are some things that do not work well when you actually are doing them.

get along well with staffs. No face to face patient service. Great experience.

Pros

awesome workers to work with and the experience to get your feet at the door for career.

Cons

Working at home is not what they say until you finish your specialties and good performances. Never a settling job and no goals to achieve on work. Poor training due to shortage of analyst and never a stable work environment. Always new management or manager comes and go, which ruins your ability and the work to be effective because it's always changing constantly. They say flexible schedule but literally not. There's no increase negotiable for salary.

Read policy carefully in every detail you can because it is a union and you have rights. If it's not documented it's not done. Speak up and know that you have rights. Good experience but wouldn't recommend to be permanent.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people who are compassionate about patients

Cons

costly parking and congested location

communications to employees of all levels helps to create a team atmosphere.

love it

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

team work, nice people pleasent

Cons

confident kind , loving, understanding

N/A

Old Boys Network at the top

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time

Pros

Staff are compassionate about the patient population. Many of Minnesota's physicians were trained at HCMC in medical school, residencies or fellowships.

Cons

Many doctors have leadership titles and salaries, but aren't held accountable for changing physician culture. Maybe new CEO will make a difference. There is not a burning platform for being the "best." Good enough seems good enough seems to be the prevailing attitude.

Great staff and great work being done while in leadership transition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

We have really great, talented, and compassionate staff. I love that we are a teaching and learning hospital. There is really some great work being done here and, as we are transitioning leadership, we have a great opportunity to change how we are engaged within our community.

Cons

Currently we are transitioning leadership with new management and new staff. Change can be scary, but I'm hoping for the best. A lot of older employees have been here a very long time and need to choose between retiring or continuing to work.

Encourage more employee growth and team cohesiveness - continue with the positive changes you are making and help us strive for excellence in every area so we can become a better hospital all together

Mid-level administrators are among the worst in the industry. Lip service to patient care but without actual excellence.

Pros

Nurses are great, medical/surgical residents and attending staff are generally pretty good.

Cons

Leadership is lacking and a culture of mediocrity pervades HCMC. There is a lot of "dead weight" in the lower level and middle level administration that does nothing useful and does not enhance the quality of medical care. There is a boilerplate mentality and no one asks what more they can do. Many clerical workers are lazy and/or inept. A lot of workers have a bad attitude.

Change the culture to reflect putting actual patient care ahead of "blah blah blah," lots of empty words.

Care and compassion

Current Employee - Lactation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Lactation Consultant in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

The people at HCMC really CARE about the people we serve.

Cons

It is a BIG organization, sometimes change is difficult to accomplish.

Flexible and great benefits, super stressful at times.

Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - BA MA in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits package, great health insurance for individuals. Some amazing people work here and keep the place afloat. Cool location and mission, great medical library with tons of educational resources and super helpful staff.

Cons

Wretched management, high turnover, and random firings when departments are planning improvements, which significantly stalls upgrades and delays progress.

Way too much favoritism, and ironically, the 'favorites' are the worst employees. The more trained and skilled you are, the more they work you to the max to cover the slack of the inept, chronic sick callers, & FMLA abusers (there's a lot).

Possibly the worst human resources department I've ever had to deal with. I wouldn't even give them a job at McDonald's mopping floors if they volunteered. They frequently lose critical paper work, and viciously hunt out good employees for the most trivial issues, while ignoring the worst, do nothing employees.

Pull it together and show better direction. I've seen too many wonderful people leave here due to confusing tactics and promotion of bad workers. It really deals a huge blow to morale and you're practically encouraging bad work habits.

Clean up the hospital's imagine, it's known to area residents as a place to get pain killers, and frequent dealing is done in plain sight of visitors and patients.

Encourage overweight smoking staff to not smoke at the emergency room entrance and up their insurance premiums. Better yet, fire them, it's embarrassing, unwelcoming, and hypocritical.

Hennepin County Medical Center Photos

Our new state-of-the-art Center for Hyperbaric Medicine opened in 2012 and is comprised of three multiplace chambers and one monoplace chamber
Located in downtown Minneapolis