Hersha Hospitality

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jay H. Shah

Worst Management Company

Director of Sales and Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time for more than a year

ProsNo positive attributes about this company

ConsUpper Management is clueless. No real vision, no trust in their associates.
Horrible Compensation- Worst in the industry.
Abysmal incentive structure/opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Allow those positions to be occupied by qualified executives who actually exhibit hospitality

Great people, great company

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Prossmall company, get to know everyone, and everyone is nice

Conswork can get boring sometimes

exciting ideas but not enough follow through from owners and leaders. lacking reinvestment and disingenuous.

Director of Sales and Marketing (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsThe leaders are excellent at "talking the talk." They know how to excite a room and convince an audience of their promises. They can generate excitement.

ConsThey have a hard time delivering on their promises. They fail to back up their pitches with action. They manage their hotels from a place of fear. The proper supports do not exist, as the support team is young and inexperienced. The leader are all men (or close to men) and the support seem to be pretty young things; more of a dating pool. A "boys club" that bows down to the owners.

There is a lot of talk about work life balance, but they work employees to death and then push them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at your regional and vp team. They are all covering each others' messes up. The revenue management and sales teams are not generating the revenue they could. And your operations teams are kept preoccupied acting as secretaries for the vps. Everyone is more concerned with giving the right answers. The love of hospitality is lost.

Listen to your own speeches.

Poorly Staffed and Managed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time

ProsThere is a lot of room for advancement (positions, not so much with pay), the company is growing fast and you can get valuable industry experience here.

ConsYou will probably have to learn most things on your own, there is no structured training. The company is very unorganized from the top down. You will have to do the work of many, in most positions, since they don't budget for enough staff to properly run their business. Standards and wages are low (but demands are high) so many of the people you work with will be under-qualified. Most of the qualified employees are overworked and burned out since the company seems to have no real value on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide formal training and increase budget for staffing so you can have enough staff to support your needs and pay enough to hire people who are qualified.

Worse Company to work for

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI cant think of anything nice to put here.

ConsI work at a hotel manage by Hersha. All i can say is Hersha is cheap. Its all business. There is no incentive for the employees here. I use to love my job until i came to this company. Its very sad to say that. Some of the workers here work over 8 hours and no break, this isnt a sweatshop but they treated us as such.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey way the property managers are treating your hotel is showing everyone who work here that corporate doesnt really care about the employees. Maybe instead of looking at the numbers ( which you probably well never do) Look at the qualities of your employees, anyways because of them is that you make any money at all.

Poor management

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

ProsThe other employees are generally nice to work with.

ConsThe hotel I worked for is poorly managed. Every employee hates it there. There are never enough supplies. Things simply always go wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganization.

Area Director of Revenue Management

Area Director of Revenue Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time for more than a year

Prosbest reasons to work here...none

ConsCorporate office is unorganized and does not know anything about managing people much less hotels. They are a law suit waiting to happen. Never have I seen managers act in such a manner that is despairingly illegal. HR and VP's are a joke! This company is the worst I have ever seen or been anywhere near! I would not let my worst enemy work here! The managers at their hotels are hostile and demeaning to their employees as well as people in the corporate office. The VP's in the Philadelphia office are also demeaning to the employees. There is no communication, no morale report with the managers. This is a sweat shop for hotel workers. The door is constantly revolving!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs to get real managers. People who know how to actually manage others and keep morale up. They need to learn how to be a real company! Buying dozens of hotels doesn't make you a good company, it is the employees that you have who stay- no one stays here...says a lot about the company!

Good learning experience

Food & Beverage Server (Former Employee)
Wilmington, DE (US)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time for more than a year

ProsGood company to work for. Good company core values that works in the best interest of excellent guest service and great guest satisfaction. Overall good potential for internal promoting.

ConsBenefits and pay aren't that great

I worked here for one year and left. Do not recommend this company

Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time for more than a year

ProsThere dont seem to be too many. I guess the regional team that I worked with was nice although they all seemed to be a bit over their heads in the skills they have and the skills they need.

ConsThis company is very "clicky" in that there are two groups. Either you're a long timer and are one of the "boys club" and everyone else. All of the people I talked to in the company tell me how hard it is to break into this click so many people leave after just a year like I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should employ a feedback mechanism to get the employee's feedback. Then, you should be humble enough to hear us and react to the feedback.

Great people, but the work can get redundant

Revenue Management Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Open door policy
-Great corporate culture
-Directors are always willing to help

Cons-Work can get dull and redundant

Worked for Hersha Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hersha Hospitality reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hersha Hospitality CEO Jay H. Shah. All 14 reviews are posted anonymously by Hersha Hospitality employees.