Hersha Hospitality Reviews

2.1
Jay H. Shah

1. Co-workers are like family

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

It's a great place to work because everyone who works here is like family. We have been here way before Hersha was in charge. So we have stuck together.

Cons

The annual raise is only 3%. The company is really cheap when it comes to giving raises.

Advice to Management

If you are willing to pay your employees more then they will be happier at work. Which will result in hard work and great reviews for the hotel. Employee satisfaction is key to a successful business.

2. Growing pains

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

Great staff on property and amazing regional support. Love my property and the people I work with daily. No matter what is thrown at us, we get through it.

Cons

Corporate staff needs help in the Payroll and IT departments. Need to add more bodies and support for the properties in this area.

Advice to Management

Be proactive with hiring instead of reactive. Prepare for growth by hiring in departments that will need it instead of scrambling after the fact.

Excessive greed, money-hungry management, horrible ethics, obvious presence of sexism, abhorrent "leaders"

Former Intern - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Intern - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a job that pays American currency. Working for HHM, at least at the location I worked for, is possibly better than being unemployed and homeless, but only slightly better.

Cons

They fire people constantly and for nebulous reasoning, non transparency but will claim complete "transparency" in the interview process, huge divide between the higher level management and mid-level management and all employees, higher level management constantly thrives on fear and intimidation to "manage" employees, constant revolving door turnover in every department, be prepared to work for terrible, unethical people who will ask of mid level managers to carry out highly unethical practices. Be prepared if you place a 2 week notice, they take advantage of at-will state status, meaning they will spin your resignation and two week notice into a "discharge" they will ultimately coerce the employee to sign off on so they do not have to pay for 2 weeks. Shady, greedy, unethical, completely unprofessional and upsetting. Be prepared for this to happen, because it happens to everyone that works there once they realize what they walked into and become desperate to get away. You will not get paid for the 2 weeks notice you place. Oh, and your last paycheck which will arrive via mail weeks later, whether it be a resignation or termination, will come in the form of a sketchy no-named pre-paid Visa card which is merely impossible to use anywhere! Just like my time working for them, they must make such simple things so difficult. Getting this sketchy fraud-like card in the mail was one final slap in the face from the company and reminder that they were the most terrible company to work for ever. Period.

Advice to Management

Clean house. All Directors and upper level management are terrible people and managers. Hersha corporate, open up your eyes and see what is happening at your properties! Be more present because shadiness is happening and there are master manipulators who are spinning things in their favor consistently.

NA

I worked at Hersha Hospitality (More than 8 years)

Pros

Provide decent work/life balance.

Cons

Lack of communication/feedback from upper management, not focused on development

The penny stocks of hotels

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

I can honestly not think of a single pro.

Cons

No work life balance. Promises of growth and ethics; hollow delivery. People who have been in company a long time dump blame and work on newer employees. No support. Honor in service? NOT

Advice to Management

Lack of sincere concern is evident. If you think everyone is beneath you, retire and leave the work to people who care. Politics only get you so far, and the high turnover and lack of employee happiness should tell you something.

Don't even waste your time!

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive to say about this company except they give me a paycheck.

Cons

Where to start...the turnover is the highest I have ever seen! This company is money hungry and doesn't care about their employees whatsoever. Benefits are horrible, bonus structure is a rip off (that's if they even decide to pay the bonus) and the management is extremely dysfunctional.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you want them to treat your guests!

8. Great employer

Former Intern - Intern in Ithaca, NY (US)
    Former Intern - Intern in Ithaca, NY (US)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything is good at Hersha hospitality

Cons

None, I can't find Anything wrong to say about Hersha

No room to grow

Former Employee - Front Desk in Frederick, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Frederick, MD (US)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I cant think of a pro of working in this company

Cons

Too demanding and low pay.

You're just a number.

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time

Pros

Personal Growth... so many changes and position open. You will be able to move up

Cons

Benefits. Horrible communication and the company will look-out for itself.

The Walmart of Hospitality

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good to say. I do not feel valued as an employee. On the upside I do in fact get a paycheck!

Cons

They are such a low cost operator, employees are generally paid way below average which creates more turnover and low morale. Company grew too fast and is buckling beneath its weight at the corporate level. Not enough support for as micromanaging as they try to be. No real training for new hires at any level (line level, supervisor or manager). Roll outs for anything new are reactive instead of proactive which creates chaos. Corporate is also completely disorganized. Hopefully this will change and they learn fast or they will lose employees, myself included.

Advice to Management

See "cons" section and learn.