Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green

David Green

Pros:
  • "Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays"
    in 35 reviews
  • "Good pay, Sundays off, store closes at 8 so you get out earlier than other stores"
    in 25 reviews
Cons:
  • "Limited full time positions- there seems to be a set number of"
    in 35 reviews
  • "My hours have been cut down to 33 hours yet you are hiring more part time employees"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Thankful for my experiences here

Lead Cashier/Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)
Biloxi, MS (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than 3 years

ProsHobby Lobby has many beautiful items in the store. Imagination and creativity are everywhere. Customers are happy to be here and spend more money than they planned. A lot of the customers are happy to tell you about the projects they are working on. Starting pay is above min. wage. Periodically will have "pot-luck" lunches which is great fellowship with other employees in the break room. Sewing patterns can be scanned instead of typing in. Do not have to copy receipts for refunds with new registers. Receipts can be located by looking up a debit/credit card if the customer lost their original.

ConsAs a cashier there is a lot to remember for your job. The weekly ad is available for reference but it is best to have this memorized. If you take a moment to look at the ad, customers seem to not trust you as much & think you have the power to give them discounts.
-too small counters/working space at the registers
-most items need to be wrapped so this can slow down checkout
-understaffed due to payroll
-having to answer phones while checking out customers and wrapping their items while another customer comes up behind you asking where something is
-no aisle numbers or signs with a quick description of what's on them.
-the cashier usually has to point in different directions of the store to guide customers because there's not enough help on the floor
-because there are no aisle numbers & a cashier might be busy with a transaction, it can be difficult to help the lost customer or distracting to the transaction which may cause errors considering you are the one typing in the prices and choosing the department on the screen.
-refund registers are used as main registers & this can slow down checkout
-customers get impatient being behind someone with a return
-customers want to use multiple coupons in a day & put pressure on you for discounts

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the register counters larger. Most items in the store are breakable and need to be wrapped in paper before bagging. The counters are too small to wrap a large ceramic cross or picture frame, mirror, etc. And yes, customers want these wrapped.
A customer service area separate to the normal registers is needed.
Aisle numbers or signs with words of what's on the aisle are needed. You may think we should walk the customer to the aisle but this is impossible when we are so low staffed. The cashier has to direct a lot of people from his/her register.
Quit raising pay and raise the payroll. I'd rather make a little less per hour and have more employees to help per hour.

Decent pay for moderate workload

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years. It's decent pay for the amount of work required. The company matches 401k contributions up too 5%. Every other weekend off and every Sunday off is quite satisfying. I opened the store with the majority of the full timers currently employed and we try to maintain a stress free environment.

ConsManagement is inadequate. They largely bicker among themselves in the presence of customers and employees setting a poor example of leadership. Oversight within the organization is poor as no one really checks up on the ordering process or completed projects. Store manager is largely absent from work as they're either handling personal business or on a store set. This requires the Co-Managers to cover down and work long hours. Accountability is largely missing within management and there is plenty of finger pointing and blame shifting going on to try and cover ones self.

Advice to Senior ManagementHobby Lobby is missing a universal hiring procedure within the company. Assistant managers are usually picked (at least in my store) from the good ole boy system. As a result of this procedure, the turn over rate has surpassed 50%. Competence and leadership ability are lacking in most of the managers who have been promoted or moved through the store. This is likely the reason Hobby Lobby hires Co-Managers from outside as most Asst. Managers are lacking those qualities while most Co-Managers have some form of experience managing personnel and operations. While Mr. Green stresses Servant Leadership, it is largely missing within the company as I've yet to encounter anyone with this skillset.

Walmart and Hobby Lobby are about the same for working you to death, just one pays better.

Customer Service Manager (Former Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt was great having Sundays off....... Corporate holiday parties are amazing! They have drawings for big screen tvs, WII, BBQ grills,etc. They order food in also.

ConsYou are worked to death. Being a CSM, from the beginning of November, I worked 6 days a week 8-12 hours a day. Yes, I understand I got paid by the hour, but I have a life too. Managers rarely let anyone off during this time of year. Even for Christmas parties; LOL and my husband worked for corporate.The store level, you get ordered food during the Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Saturday, but you only get 30 minutes lunch, can't enjoy it. When you see Christmas from July through December, you get sick of the customers complaining in November certain items are no longer in stock. It's hard to enjoy Christmas at your own house, when you see it at work 8-12 hours a day.
Saturday nights are horrible. After the store closes, everyone has to help put up the new sale signs and take down the previous week's signs. Of course, Monday comes, and there's always at least 1 sign that is still up, and a customer finds it and throws a fit at the register.
Truck days are nightmares. You have to stay until everyone is done. So of course you have people that constantly piddle, in order to have help. The store manager never stays past 5:00 pm on truck days. If they do, the seem to disappear magically to their office.
If you have an opinion, this is not the place for you to work. You are reminded that this is not your store. Most of the department heads, cater and put up with the store managers temper and attitude, because of the rate of pay. If you whine, you are on the favorites list with the store manager.
Customers complain to CSM, and if you say anything to management, they blow you off. If the customer calls and complains to management, be prepared to be in the "hot" seat.
If you go from Full-time to part-time be prepared that your bonus from the previous years, go out the window. You are now part-time period.
Full-time positions are only department heads. Pretty much someone has to die before you can get a spot. Every year there seems to be a raise, but be prepared, less hours go with that. Full-time is considered 33 hours and up. If you get to close to 40, the store manager gets a computer note, and will make you adjust your hours. So, if on truck day you were there 10 hours instead of the "normal" 8 hours, you will be cutting 2 hours somewhere else later that week. If you work in a department, be prepared to be able to work as 2-3 employees. If you take a customer to the product, you end up helping 6 other customers, because everyone else is on the register. Doing new stock and plan-o-gram---corporate tells you how many hours you are to spend setting the new stuff. This doesn't include looking for the fixtures, being on a register, and helping people in the store. Most of the time, you end up working on your day off to get it done, so you won't be called to a register.

Advice to Senior ManagementMr. Green has great ideas. I know the corporate is treated well. But when it comes to store level, his values have pretty much disappeared. The store manager rules, forgot Mr. Green and the Green family.

great job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Prosvery easy job.especially if you're interested in crafts.

Conshours being cut without notice

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time

ProsAllows me to be creative! Starting pay is decent for part-time employers.

ConsSometimes there is a lack of unity among managers, as well as employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees often respond better to managers that are team-oriented rather than task-oriented. It increases productivity without creating a hostile work environment.

Good Place to get retail management experience.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time

ProsCloses earlier than some places. Closed on Sundays. Pays well for retail

ConsExpectations can be very high and sometimes a huge challenge to get everything ready to close. Sometimes you have enough help and sometimes you don't but, the store must be perfect and you cannot go over on your payroll.

Strict retail guidelines but overall great job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hobby Lobby

ProsGreat Pay, Benefits,employee development,equal opportunity, Christmas bonuses

ConsLong hours, Long work days, glass fixtures, hard work,

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is trained to think that they are above assosciates

A job while looking for a career in my field if work

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

ProsGreat pay for work expected

ConsThere is Not a set schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not micro manage so much

Great place to work

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

ProsGreat place to work. Love my job!

ConsI have nothing to put here

Not what I expected

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time

ProsGood Pay, employee discount, no overtime

ConsMicromanaged, employer doesn't see worth

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hobby Lobby reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hobby Lobby CEO David Green. All 316 reviews are posted anonymously by Hobby Lobby employees.