Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors(in 28 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals(in 49 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits(in 26 reviews)

They take 1st and 2nd place for worst company

Community Manager (Former Employee)

ProsResidents and staff and a fair bonus system

ConsMake a list of everything you would not do as a company and this will be the foundation of Holiday. It is hard to believe that a company can exist like this. Maybe they cant and that is why they are selling off communities.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo need they haven't listened to any of the advise that everyone else has suggested. This many professional people can't be that far off base. After having met Kai before his promotion i feel bad for him as I believe he would like to do things right.

OPPORTUNITY LOST!!!

Community Manager (Current Employee) Savannah, GA (US)

ProsDefinately the residents and their stories. Helping families and loved ones through what can be a difficult time.

ConsA business model that has been perverted by wallstreet. The focus is occupancy only. No regard for onsite managers and staff. Regional and corporate support consists of "who is moving in by 5pm wednesday?" or you need 5 more move ins by next week. I have friends driven to ill health by the stress from regionals also desparate to get their bonus or to just keep a job. Considering a job at Holiday? ask yourself, why is there such a widespread "blitz" of advertising for filling positions nationwide? You only need to blanket or saturate advertising if you cannot hire and RETAIN your employees. These jobs used to be filled by word of mouth and recomendation. There are many communities with one set of managers and several without any onsite teams! Do your own research online before jumping on board.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the business model, staff and support from the top down. Your onsite staff is the key to success. Not dividends to your investors. Instead of focusing on a resident living 34 months and generating $255,000 of income, focus on making every day a great day!

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY

Community Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAlmost none, certainly not on the company side. If you're lucky to work in a good location, you will find wonderful clients & congenial (if somewhat overworked, over-regulated & desperately underpaid) colleagues.

ConsEverything, from their attitude toward their clients to the attitude towards staff. This business, which is SUPPOSED to be about taking care of older people is really nothing but sell, sell, sell.... and generally speaking selling something that's wrong for the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell this business to someone who actually wants to do what you say you do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run away -- dont even walk towards this company

Community Manager (Current Employee) Grand Junction, CO (US)

ProsResidents are great. Too bad they are not loved by corporate. Apt is "OK" - nothing to brag about. You don't use much gas in your car. No need to purchase food.

ConsLong Hours -- by the time you add up the hours and what you are getting paid -- it is less than min wage. Upper management seems to think they know everything and how each building is to be treated the same. They don't realize each part of the country is very different --even in their own region.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay "Thank you" once in awhile. That goes along way instead of just demanding everything all the time. We are people too and have had corporate careers and sucessful businesses. Some of our doing this for the passion of working with older people.

If thinking of working for this company.. approach very cautiously. VERY difficult company to work for.

Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsYou work with seniors and you are able to help them get out of bad situations at home and into a safe community.

ConsI am a sales leader for this company, meaning I am in "charge" of the sales for the community. Base salary is very poor. Bonus structure does make up for it IF, and i Emphasize IF, you have a good community. If your community has a poor dining or acitvities program. You WILL fail. Management micromanages you to the extreme. Hourly calls, harassing emails at all hours othe night. Belittling from high level management, no actual help, just screaming to get things fixed and deliver without any actual advice on how to handle these problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the micromanagement culture, trust your staff to do what they were hired to do. Actually CARE about the seniors you serve and not about their wallets.

Don't care about employees except sales/marketing

ProsI get paid on time. Working with the seniors and helping them is personally rewarding.

ConsWhere do I begin? False advertising.(internet site nothing like the real thing) absolutely no rewards, bonuses or compensation for employees. Lucky if you get 20-25 cent raise a year. Been with company 3 years and have made a whole 60 cents more, since. Its obvious this is an investors company and all they care about is the bottom dollar. Always telling us to cut spending around the middle of the month. (So bigwigs can get their bonuses) Mean while residents suffer, employee moral low. ALOT of employees coming and going requiring new training every time so we are always spending time on orientation, classes. Our facility, (lol, yes facility, not community) kitchen is the filthiest and dining director comes in and what? Doesn't even look at the filth on top of the refrigerators, under tables, etc. Im only here until I find a company that gives a crap about their employees and their residents. Sales makes hundreds of dollars as incentives every time they bring in a resident, then 3 months later they want to go live somewhere else.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice because they are not going to listen anyways. Simple, pay dedicated employees what they deserve and stop paying sales/marketing so much money. Spread the wealth.

Community Manager

Community Manager (Former Employee) Farmington, CT (US)

ProsWork with a meaning

ConsHands are often tied

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an exit plan

Worked as Community Manager at 2 Communities for 4 years.

Community Manager (Former Employee) Greenville, SC (US)

ProsThe best thing that you have working for Holiday is the wonderful seniors you help. In some cases the seniors are not so wonderful.

ConsMoney, money, money, that is all the Holiday Corporation is interested in. If they have to run over employees and residents to get more money they will not hesitate.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to a corporation that knows how to run a retirement company and use the proceeds to purchase the prison at Quantanimo Bay.

Hopeful change within a great company that provides an essential service.

Community Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThis is a great community for the residents. The business model of live in management couples encourages great commitment and stability.
    There seems to be good rhetoric about listening to the managers in the field.
    If you are committed you can work through most issues

ConsThere is very little consultation between the "upper management' and the community managers.
    Not enough investment into older buildings.
    Inconsistent and irrational time demands
    Very little trust given to community managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the community managers are consulted on the decisions that affect the community.
    This may sound difficult but it is business 101.
    Because of the economy and changing demographics there is great talent available to serve in this industry. Find them and care for them.
    Follow up on your "Servant Leader" management style.

Don't waste your time working for this GARBAGE company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNothing---the company STINKS big time in ALL AREAS. Don't waste your time. If you are looking for a job, take my word for it, you do not want to work for this company.

ConsDo you have 5 hours? Just read the other reviews. Not the ones that Holiday corporate people write. Yes, they have to write phony positive reviews because there are so many negative ones. But the negative reviews are the real reviews from real people who actually worked for Holiday. Read the ones with 1 star. They are actual former or current employees living the nightmare working for this company that will BLEED YOU DRY and spit up up and leave you on the side of the road. Same for residents---this company cares about money money and more money but they could care less for the residents. Don't waste your time working for this blood-sucking company. I was not fired, I left and I never looked back.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. You are mean pathetic losers that have inferior people skills and no ethics. Quit.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!